Zero Punctuation: Diablo 3

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Jas0913 said:
It's a shame Yahtzee didn't play it through until the end. The final boss fight was so anticlimactic and the ending comes close to mass effect 3 bad. I was really looking forward to him bashing on that part.
If they gave you a conclusive ending, they wouldn't be able to keep churning out sequels over and over again.

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
trollpwner said:
Jas0913 said:
It's a shame Yahtzee didn't play it through until the end. The final boss fight was so anticlimactic and the ending comes close to mass effect 3 bad. I was really looking forward to him bashing on that part.
OK, but seriously, who plays Diablo for the story? Literally your only interactions with the world are clicking things to death and selling their trousers to the merchants. It's not like your character has any personality.
Which is kind of why I now feel compelled to go and play Diablo 2. I would play Diablo 1 but the version I actually have on CD stopped working about 3 versions of Windows ago. I'm hoping a pirated version of D2 might be more likely to run.

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
Dr Jones said:
scw55 said:
You can fully customise your action bars by havingboth evil dogs and the ability tomake enemies shit themselves.

Options -> Gameplay -> Bottom Right Option whose name I forget because it's a shit term.

It's a shame Blizzard doesn't exactly tell anyone this. The only way you discover this is by accident or Chinese Whispers; which is what i'm doing now, rather a CHINESE SHOUT.
He mentions that in the credits.
Nope. He talks of "Reassign the Primary Attack" which is very vague. So I assume it's swing the weapon equip.

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
But Yahtzee, changing out the pants is the part of dungeon crawlers that really drawers you in!
I might have to send a ninja assassin after you for making that pun.

FallenMessiah88

So fucking thrilled to be here!
Jan 8, 2010
I haven't played the game yet, but from what I've heard, the story is pretty crap. That's too bad though, because the story and the atmosphere were always the two things I found the most appealing about Diablo 1 and 2. It's only made worse by the fact that, even though it does seem to have a very distinct "Neo Blizzard" look, the game's atmosphere seem to be pretty much spot on.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
beefpelican said:
canadamus_prime said:
Well one time I didn't. Don't ask me to explain it, 'cause I don't really understand it either.
May I pretend that you found the secret diplomacy pathway, creating a splinter universe where everyone just talks out their problems over tea and the Angels, Demons and Humans all realize that there wasn't really any purpose to the Eternal Conflict and then they all go home and leave each other alone except for once a year when they have a picnic and water balloon toss?

(captcha: like the dickens)
Whatever helps you sleep at night.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
WDK89 said:
It's always fun to read the forum after Yatzee gives a popular game a bad review.
At least wait for people to start whining in the comment section before you start mocking them. The front page of posts consists of people being patient, understanding and in agreement. Boring really.

ildon

May 31, 2012
Grey Day for Elcia said:
canadamus_prime said:
vxicepickxv said:
Grey Day for Elcia said:
canadamus_prime said:
I could be wrong, but I think part of the idea of randomly generated dungeons is, besides replayability, is that your experience will be different than your friend's experience so you can stand around the water cooler comparing.
My wall was over there and a shirt with +1 dropped.

-Really? Mine was over here and pants with +1 dropped.

Did you fight that boss and do that one story bit?

-Well... yeah... But the path there was... different, I guess. Sort of.
If they made it at all like Diablo 2, then sometimes you won't even fight some bosses, or have some quests available, because they weren't generated. It does make for different games.
I remember on one playthrough of the first Diablo I didn't have to fight the Butcher.
You always have to kill the Butcher in Diablo 1--it's a main story quest.
I just registered an account to explain this to you. The Butcher is not "the main story quest" of Diablo 1 any more than the poisoned well, the missing sign, or the Skeleton king are "the main story quest." They are all randomly generated Act 1 quests... for single player. In multiplayer, presumably because the other quests often involved picking up items and returning them to NPCs or moving items around the world or using levers or who knows why, they hard coded the Act 1 quest to always be The Butcher.

My point being that I believe the only reason The Butcher is the Act 1 quest for multiplayer is due to some technical reason or because it was the one least likely to cause problems in a multiplayer game, not necessarily because it was "the main story quest." In terms of the game's overall plot, The Butcher isn't even that pivotal to the story. "Lazarus led some guys into the dungeon to save the prince, but it was a trap and the monsters got them" is plenty sufficient for the overall story. The Butcher is cool and all but in terms of "normal" people versus the hero player character, it might as well have been a pack of skeletal archers that killed the rescue party.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Also since posting this morning I logged in to discover my account had been hacked and they'd made off with everything. Never been to any dodgy sites where I could be keylogged, only ever played with my brother.

Great job Blizzard, loving how the whole 'online only' routine has made the game experience so much more secure. Think that's my cue to not waste 80 dollars on any more of your crap.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Li Mu said:
While I do enjoy Yatzee's rants I do find him to be oddly narrow in the taste department.

He hates RPGs, MMOs, MMORPGs, RTSs, TBSs, QTEs, Multiplayer games, Games on the PC and Games on the Wii to name a few.
So basically he hates quite large percentage of the alphabet.
He doesn't hate them - though there are some genres he doesn't bother to review at all (especially strategy games). To be honest, that is typical for critics, and for audiences too. The thing is that on, say, IGN, they have a battery of reviewers so as to cover all genres and platforms, whilst Yahtzee is just one guy with only enough time to play a couple of games per week.

Caffiene

Jul 21, 2010
Abedeus said:
Steam games don't have real money auction house to protect, you can't dupe items because those are server-side as well. You are comparing tomatoes to hamburgers.
The question you were initially answering was "If the real money auction house is being suspended indefinitely, what is the point of having always-online?"

Im not sure that an answer of "they need to protect the real money auction house" really works to explain why they cant use a Steam-style system in that context ;)

HeallunRumblebelly

Aug 3, 2011
Grey Day for Elcia said:
canadamus_prime said:
vxicepickxv said:
Grey Day for Elcia said:
canadamus_prime said:
I could be wrong, but I think part of the idea of randomly generated dungeons is, besides replayability, is that your experience will be different than your friend's experience so you can stand around the water cooler comparing.
My wall was over there and a shirt with +1 dropped.

-Really? Mine was over here and pants with +1 dropped.

Did you fight that boss and do that one story bit?

-Well... yeah... But the path there was... different, I guess. Sort of.
If they made it at all like Diablo 2, then sometimes you won't even fight some bosses, or have some quests available, because they weren't generated. It does make for different games.
I remember on one playthrough of the first Diablo I didn't have to fight the Butcher.
You always have to kill the Butcher in Diablo 1--it's a main story quest.
He's always there in single player. Not always in multiplayer. Some quests appear only in single player (think veil of steel or poisoned water) but never showed in multiplayer. No quests were multiplayer only. D1 was a damn fine game. D2 damn fine game. D3 is making me not want to play it :| Got two 60s, both in act 3 inf, and there's so many cheesy ways to get gear / ah mats that it just doesn't even feel like playing anymore.

HeallunRumblebelly

Aug 3, 2011
Caffiene said:
Abedeus said:
Steam games don't have real money auction house to protect, you can't dupe items because those are server-side as well. You are comparing tomatoes to hamburgers.
The question you were initially answering was "If the real money auction house is being suspended indefinitely, what is the point of having always-online?"

Im not sure that an answer of "they need to protect the real money auction house" really works to explain why they cant use a Steam-style system in that context ;)
D3 is setup to give the player only a small portion of the data client side to help prevent hacking and such :3 They need to remain that integrity because of the RMAH.

If they have random ladder resets with RMAH, the amount of rage among the playerbase, my god...

~ buys 15$ sword
~ ladder reset week later

That said, getting all 5 classes to 60 takes maybe 20-25 hrs each, casually. Gonna be a short game without ladder resets.

Caffiene

Jul 21, 2010
HeallunRumblebelly said:
They need to remain that integrity because of the RMAH.
My point was that the post Abedeus was responding to was asking the question "Why do they need it if the RMAH isnt being used". You cant answer the question of "why do they need it apart from the RMAH" with the response "because of the RMAH".

The restrictions and measures make some sense to protect the RMAH (although many question whether the RMAH is worth the effort), but somebody in the thread here mentioned a rumour that the RMAH was going to be delayed indefinitely because of player concerns. Somebody responded by asking in that case why they needed the always-online: the implication being that if they arent going to have the RMAH after all then their justification for needing always-online goes away.

CapitalistPig

Dec 3, 2011
reasoning cemented to hold off on getting this game. Until I'm so bored I want ALL THE PANTS!!! mwahahaha!!!