Zero Punctuation: Dragon Age II

X51

Jan 6, 2007
Tontomanzz said:
X51 said:
Just for the record, the Escapist disagrees:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/8701-Dragon-Age-II-Review

I'd also like to point out that Yahtzee is a cynical bastard (I still love him!), and if you go into any game looking for cut corners, that's all you're going to see. I get the gripe about the reused dungeons, but I'd bet my financial aid check that that was solely the result of a short development window. If the price for the awesome dialog and amazingly well-developed characters is a few repetitive dungeons, then I'll gladly pay it.
Thing is, if I wanted just awesome dialog and well-developed characters (and I say just as there's nothing wrong with that, just if that's all there is), I could pay $5 and rent a movie...

For the case on rushing it out, seems to be the trend with time being focused on marketing and DLC. I knew there was some in DA2, but never how much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMcVZQI6ybw

It's a trend that I hope stops sooner than later. I didn't like hats (yes hats) taking over my TeamFortress2 and stopping new gameplay development.
It's not *just* the dialog and characters, but your interactions with them. It's getting to know Merrill, and being shocked by her innocence in the face of what you first discover about her. It's standing up for your sister when Fenris goes on an anti-mage rant. It's butting heads with religious zealots and conniving politicians. Or, you don't have to do any of it! You can reject Merrill as a monster. You can throw your sister under the bus and agree with Fenris. You can play toady to the religious leader and increase your own power and influence with which to stab them in the back later.

Regarding DLC, Dragon Age 2 isn't nearly as bad as other games. Most of the DLC are items, and they're mostly free (not counting some of your free time), and are hardly essential to the content of the game (you'll be replacing most of the items by level 12 or so anyway). It is admittedly lame that a full character is left out of the main game, but the same was true for DA:O.

LulzOdin

Mar 15, 2011
Dead on Yahtzee, as always! :D
But yeah I mean what were they expecting the feedback to be like when all the devs did was to showcase us an unfinished version of a sequel half-arsedly put together in a sh*t scenario.
I call Dragon Age II the "Vista of Dragon Age Series" because of this. ^^

Vapus

May 15, 2010
Kudos ! youve done it again , articulate much more eloquently that which I was feeling myself,, this game is a TURD !!!!

DoomBlackDragon

Sep 13, 2008
Epic Review. See people. Even Yahtzee hated the game. This is the worse game in bioware history of games. It funny how BioWare seems to think if it not Mass Effect. Mass Effected it. It as if Dragon Age 2 caught some nasty Virus before it was even launched. Wonder if this means Star Wars old republic will be just as bad.
Would say Mass Effect 3 will most likly be bad but oh wait it already Mass Effected.

Still Mass Effect 2 was very much shit. Main Story plot. You got for repear killing bad ass to corpse and baby sister. To a rag tag team of Regects with a few worthy members. Only to find out 75% of your crew are not loyal until you stop their family problems.

Sodoff

Oct 15, 2009
Its funny how you can play the same game as someone else and have a completely different look on things.

The combat for one, I loved it and found it easy to aim at my enemies and control the camera.

Still great episode, although its diffucilt to laugh as much as usual when Im disagreing with your arguments.

;)

DolorousEdd

Sep 25, 2010
It's a shame that this review is slightly muddled by Yatzeeh's highly subjective dislike for sequels. If you have a developer of epic, character-driven fantasy RPGs with a setting that took years of development and still can take more development, improvement and holds countless more stories of the same or better variety, it's just plain unrealistic to expect them to do only one game and even unfair to some of the people involved like the writers to say that they had no original interest in making their games.

That said, I still happen to be in the overly-critical camp about this game. Ah, and actually, I don't find this review overall so convincing and insightful.

Sherishade

Dec 1, 2009
I liked the game personally and my only complaint was the occasional glitch and the copy/paste dungeon problem other then that I liked it a lot. Now maybe it was different for me because I can very easily put my self into the role of any race/gender/lifestyle/occupation, and that allows me to replay a game several times and continue to enjoy it.
I also feel the game was just as good as dragon age origins, I?ll admit I can find entertainment in a lot of games most people would scoff at and call drivel but I honestly don?t see how everyone feels the game is that bad. Finally the game felt plenty epic to me I mean the first time we actually deal with the Qunari on a large scale level and the ending, I mean I play a mage in all games a game sucks for me when the mage class isn?t done properly. It was a huge deal and epic for my mage and I was thoroughly happy with it and the game as a whole.
Oh and on the relationship thing I?m comfortable in my hetero-sexuality so it doesn?t phase me I?m not afraid of catching ?the gay? and Merrill is my sweet heart and was better then any of the romances in Origins.

B Goy

Jan 5, 2010
Cat of Doom said:
B Goy said:
I'm guessing I'm the only one who got the Daily Mail reference?
Please explain,
Basically an article by the Daily Heil on anything becomes- 'PANIC IN BRITAIN AS MUSLIMS, ANARCHISTS TRY TO OVERTHROW LESSER THATCHER'S GOVERNMENT.'

idunnowutiam

Apr 2, 2011
Amarganth said:
Woah, man. I liked DA2 too but you're taking this review waaay too seriously. The fun of watching Zero Punctuation is to kick back, laugh and listen to good critique. If you listen Yahtzee makes some pretty good points.

The Mighty Thesaurus

Lumen timeo
Feb 23, 2010
So when something kills immersion for you (not walking to the door in Mass Effect) it's a sign of the end of times, but when it kills immersion for others (NPCs not addressing the PC by name) it's pointless.

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
Hah, right on the damn noze ZP! I am totally done buying EA games, fucking unoriginal money grubbing bastards. Make something that's actually worth paying for and I might reconsider, though I know this will never happen.