Zero Punctuation: Dragon Age: Origins

Andaxay

Thinking with Portals
Jun 4, 2008
Wow, he actually liked it. I played a little bit, and wasn't impressed in the slightest. Not that his feelings on a game accurately reflect mine, but... wow. I really didn't like it at all. Maybe I just played the wrong part. Either way, it saved me £40 which shall go towards Assassin's Creed 2 on Friday.

Laughed at the whole "surprising" race and class choices.

Omni-Bot

Jul 5, 2009
You should review Demon's Souls, seriously. It's a fantastic game and while the difficulty would make for some hilarious review rage, I'm confident you will come to love the game like so many others have.

Elf Defiler Korgan

Apr 15, 2009
I found the story at 1:34 "compelling".

This I found rather good, a nice measured jab at rpgs and role-playing. It seems he writes the best reviews when he somewhat likes something; and circles around to find vulnerable little appendages to nibble.

MowDownJoe

Apr 8, 2009
Kstreitenfeld said:
Teiraa said:
Yahtzee liked a jrpg, the world is ending after all!!! run for your lives!!! *dash*
bioware... jrpg...

Get out
Play Sonic Chronicles and tell me that doesn't feel like a JRPG, even with it being made by Bioware.

Anorgil

Mar 24, 2004
Teiraa said:
Yahtzee liked a jrpg, the world is ending after all!!! run for your lives!!! *dash*
Yahtzee mentioned about two years ago that he liked Earthbound and the Paper Mario series, albeit as the only exceptions to his general hatred of JRPGs, but still... the world hasn't ended yet.

clank1013

May 21, 2009
i realy enjoyed this episode, i especially liked the part about the D&D player with the starbuck chick, and then ending "Resume credits!" keeps making my lauch, =p
good job YZE!!!

Kstreitenfeld

Mar 27, 2009
Mr.Lucifer said:
JRPGS can be still be awesome though.
I'm not saying JRPGs are bad, just that Dragon Age is not a JRPG

MowDownJoe said:
Play Sonic Chronicles and tell me that doesn't feel like a JRPG, even with it being made by Bioware.
Thats completely your opinion, plus having a game "feel" like a JRPG does not make it a JRPG. Should I spell out what the J stands for?

-edit-
To think of it, I don't think Bioware played a large role in Sonic Chronicles. Calling any true Bioware games JRPG is just ludicrous, their RPGS are staple WRPG.

thecutter0

Nov 18, 2009
Catkid906 said:
Okay... So I like get Dragon Age then, but I also like sex with Girls.
But which is better?

There's only one way to find out...

FIGHT!
first let me say, "fight, fight, fight, fight!"
and second..........ok there was no second so.....fight, fight, fight, fight!

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
Headbiter said:
I mean, yeah, we could turn the elves into bloodthirsty, meatbags with the manners and ethics of Orwell's dictator-pigs, but thinking about it all we would've done then was renaming and reskinning the stereotypical orc, wouldn't we? And if we don't go for extremes and make them rather...mediocre...then we would have the stereotypical fantasy-humans.....with pointy ears.
Actually thats been done quite a few times already. Everquest had evil elves. Lords of Magic did, and Kingdom Under Fire the Crusades to a lesser extent. Although they usually call them dark elves so I don't know if that counts.

What I found interesting is that there's only 1 human origin story, if you don't count the mage one. The rest are elves and dwarves. I'm thinking Bioware may have wanted the player to play as a charecter they don't usually play as in an rpg.

As for Leianna, well I picked a female dwarven noble for my character and I think Leianna may swing both ways ;) Dragon Age really is a great rpg and I think the best way to play it is to create a character you would normally never play as.

Also I'm suprised no one else has brought this up yet but, a bunch of the dwarves have cornrow haircuts. That's right the DWARVES HAVE %@#%#$ CORNROWS wtf?

tl;dr Dwarves with cornrows thats all I have to say.

Geekmaster K

Sep 29, 2009
Just so you know, I haven't watched the video yet, so I can't make a statement about it at this time. However, since I'm new to the Escapist forums, I have three words for you Yahtzee.

You. Are. AMAZING!!!!

Zero Punctuation is one of the best shows on the Escapist, and I always look forward to listening to you spew hate about some of my favorite games (Example: BioShock). Then there's the rare occasion when a game comes out that you actually like. In those cases, I'll be sure to play the game. Honestly, the only reviews of yours I REALLY take seriously are for the games you can recommend, and for the games I already know are bad. You know, I don't watch your show to take it seriously. I watch it because it's AWESOME!!! But, as you said in your review of Batman: Arkham Asylum, "No one watches this show for what's good."

Some of my favorite ZP moments include the limerick in your Wolfenstein review, and your fake review of Duke Nukem Forever. By the way, I TOTALLY agree with you about Portal. I don't have anything to complain about either with that one. At some point I'll also download Psychonauts from Xbox Live Originals. I heard that game was awesome from multiple sources, and when I heard that you liked it, I made plans to check it out.

Well Yahtzee, that's all I have to say. Don't ever stop being a cynical, pompous douchebag. It's what people expect, and if it ain't broke, don't fix it, right?

Mr.Lucifer

Nov 1, 2009
Kstreitenfeld said:
Mr.Lucifer said:
JRPGS can be still be awesome though.
I'm not saying JRPGs are bad, just that Dragon Age is not a JRPG

MowDownJoe said:
Thats completely your opinion, plus having a game "feel" like a JRPG does not make it a JRPG. Should I spell out what the J stands for?

-edit-
To think of it, I don't think Bioware played a large role in Sonic Chronicles. Calling any true Bioware games JRPG is just ludicrous, their RPGS are staple WRPG.
JRPG is a term for any rpg made in japan. Turn based rpg is the proper term for the gameplay that the majority of jrpgs have.

JimmyWolf

Oct 19, 2008
To be honest if your going the JRPG vs RPG content argument, no side is going to win.

JRPG's are gamebooks (a word I made up) basically meaning that you play through a set story. Like a book if its written well it'll keep you hooked all the way through. Having said that some people think a game should be more interactive, Yahtzee being a prime example.

RPG's are more like Dungeons and Dragons (duhhhhhh). Much more personal, and the story is often directed by the player to varying degrees (the most common way of doing this is a morale choice system, though not always. Other ways are heavy character class customisations, appearance customisation and MAGIC!!!).

Hooray for ranting

Kstreitenfeld

Mar 27, 2009
Mr.Lucifer said:
JRPG is a term for any rpg made in japan. Turn based rpg is the proper term for the gameplay that the majority of jrpgs have.
Yes I know what a JRPG is, Im not sure why you quoted me while saying this.

Flishiz

Feb 11, 2009
I hope more goes into mention about the "moral" choice system. One of the best advantages about from removing that ethical nanny-meter from Mass Effect, Knights of the Old Republic, etc was that you could make certain choices that at least had some gray area.

When, near the end of the game, one of the characters offers to have your child so that your spirit can survive killing the dragon, I actually thought long and hard on that choice. First off, eliminating the karma meter kept my first reaction from being "how will I react so I can keep the highest moral level?", and instead was "Would I sacrifice my life, with no more than an epilogue to my history,or would I let my own child would be a corrupted abomination of nature, raised by a witch with terrible moral values, just so that I could extend my life just thirty more years?"

For once, a game with a choice system gives the player options that can manifest in being of no benefit to the player in the game, but to the soul and mind of the one playing.

ninja555

Mar 21, 2009
Great review as always. Have played dragon age and can say that pretty much everything he said is true.