Zero Punctuation: Dragon Age: Origins

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
I agree with just about everything in this video. I really hate dwarves, dragons, and elves because they're always the same damn thing over and over.

lordswift1

Sep 7, 2009
Great game. Glad he liked it. And i rented it and finished it in a week on human. Loved it. But dont have the energy to play through again.

Mirroga

Jun 6, 2009
BlueInkAlchemist said:
I'm glad that the cosmos was aligned properly so the space radiation allowed Yahtzee to review Dragon Age. He hit a variety of points about the game for better or worse and I have to say I don't disagree with him on any particular one. It's pretty interchangeable with other BioWare games but that said, BioWare's a highly decent developer and I, too, am still enjoying the story despite being 20+ hours into the game.

Ixal said:
Mirroga said:
What are the differences between the consoles and the PC version?
In the PC version you can zoom out, move the camera freely while giving orders to your companions.
In the console versions you are locked into a "over the shoulder" perspective and can only switch characters. That makes it hard to keep the overview over the battlefield, place area effect spells/weapons and do flanking moves.
The ability to get the overhead view coupled with the indomitable keyboard/mouse interface makes me very, very glad I shelled out the extra cash for the PC version.

Oh, wait, the PC version is actually $10 cheaper in the US.

Suckers.
Damn. That's a huge disadvantage. These are the times wherein it sucks to have a laptop as the only PC source. I'll have to check youtube again if I can enjoy the game with only over-the-shoulder view.

UltraParanoia

Oct 11, 2009
I'd probably be farther in the game if I stopped making new characters, I have one for each storyline. And an extra female dwarf for some reason.

I like the game a lot, even though it's the(apparantly) horrible xbox version.The big difference, my Xbox wont catch on fire trying to play it, my computer would.

I dunno, any game that gets me to stop playing fallout3* for any amount of time is pretty damn good.

*because I got drunk and saved over the character I beat the game with(DAMN YOU YUENGLING!)

JokerCrowe

Nov 12, 2009
"Hello, you are an Elf!!" hilarious. A lot of MY human friends have recomended this game, but they all play WOW. As for my other friends, well... they just like eating and fucking... and burning down the occasional house.

Rock 'n' Soul

Nov 15, 2009
Ixal said:
Rock said:
This one's a renter.
Good luck with that. Takes about 40 hours to play through (if you are fast but don't skip all conversations)
I guess so... replay value? Games are so expensive these days I'm not willing to jump on "classic fantasy rpg" right out of the gate no matter how addicting it might be.

qbanknight

Apr 15, 2009
fun review, congrats to the winners! the game's story looks interesting, but gameplay wise it looks point and click, not too interested in that

kitsunema

Apr 16, 2009
Hallow said:
YAAAY! I was really wondering about this game, my friends all liked it.
I have to say, I share the same disenchantment and dislike with Yahtzee over the issue of the same "elf, human, dwarf, Tolkien" bullshit. That actually is what made me not want to buy the game, because it looked like the definition of traditional fantasy, of which I'm bored out of my mind from. But I'm guessing, from Yahtzee and my friends, that they do it so well that it's still engrossing and enjoyable as if it was something brand new.
(I'm still gonna rent it first though)
i know what your talking about wuth the whole tradtional fanstasy and how it can get bland after awhile i mean they could of put in drows as a playable race if they were going for dark fanstasy

TheAmazingTGIF

Friday Only Superhero
Aug 5, 2009
DeathWyrmNexus said:
TheAmazingTGIF said:
If Mass Effect hated you for not spending several hours in the Codex, then Dragon Age will kill your family and desecrate their corpses if you don't.
Sadly enough, they actually use the codex more in Dragon Age since you have to learn some of your quest info in there. I rather liked it. *hides before shunned*

THOUGH IN MY DEFENSE I DID NOT READ ALL OF THEM!!! *flees*

Game is awesome, on my second playthrough and have about four more planned out. And I still manage to have sex in real life. XD
It is just really hard to find something specific in that codex. It is used a lot more, but there is just a fuckton of stuff.

Ixal

Mar 19, 2008
Rock said:
Ixal said:
Rock said:
This one's a renter.
Good luck with that. Takes about 40 hours to play through (if you are fast but don't skip all conversations)
I guess so... replay value? Games are so expensive these days I'm not willing to jump on "classic fantasy rpg" right out of the gate no matter how addicting it might be.
Well, several different origin stories and each of the main quests has at least 2 different outcomes (sometimes up to 4) which influence the endgame and which ending you get. Also you are limited to 3 NPCs in the party and the interaction between them is great which makes trying out different parties interesting.

By the way, here the character videos (all companions which can join your party except the secret one).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i2KkWJLLco&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJLSdZLdhLo&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtpLJNtMxQ0&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sibKH5ViVyw&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEDeMSg_phY&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjeJf5hpj5w&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc_kEGtZxnQ&feature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVztVbwFfa0
(DLC Character from Stone Prisoner)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgo5rNfr9YE&feature=related

Supernatural Girl

May 31, 2009
I may pick it up if its as halfway decent as he makes it sound. I haven't played an RPG in ages (by ages i mean 3 months).

P.S - Effing Scunthorpe problem. We can't tell anyone where we are from, because of secret yet blatant offensive language.

Sbobbahorpe... yeah.

JeppeH

Nov 18, 2009
Great review, though I'm sure, had he played longer he would have complained that his character didnt enjoy sex at all.. haven't seen a more unsatisfied stoneface since Keanu Reeves as 'Neo' in 'the matrix'

And whats with the girls wearing collars? not necklaces, but collars.. though I'm not complainin but a little turned on instead. ... And if you strip you team down to their undies they are complete clones from the neck down? ... Wynne! close you eyes and you got a 18yearold.

Whats refreshing is the choice system.. yes you got the gooddy gooddy stuff, and your usual evil replies. BUT theres no evil characters.. even Morrigan I find likeable. She's got issues, no doubt, but she isn't evil just on account of being evil.

That gay/bi/dendrophile assasin-elf. Great! finally an american blockbuster game with balls to do that. And he shuts the f*ck up about it if your not interested.. Even better.

What I didnt like in Mass Effect, was their characters was so cliché.. I think Bioware has developed LOTS since ME with Dragon Age. There's new depths. You have to be sharper to understand you team, if you want them to like you.

And your choices isnt easy.. like the dwarf-thingie where you have to choose between a "nice guy, but Bad King" and a "lying backstabbin' bastard, but Good King".

Lord George

Aug 25, 2008
I love dragon age, though it is a bit geeky and so I do have to hide it from all my friends and pretend I'm playing Modern Warfare 2 like real manly men grrrr. Still I thought this was a nice review.

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
Mirroga said:
BlueInkAlchemist said:
I'm glad that the cosmos was aligned properly so the space radiation allowed Yahtzee to review Dragon Age. He hit a variety of points about the game for better or worse and I have to say I don't disagree with him on any particular one. It's pretty interchangeable with other BioWare games but that said, BioWare's a highly decent developer and I, too, am still enjoying the story despite being 20+ hours into the game.

Ixal said:
Mirroga said:
What are the differences between the consoles and the PC version?
In the PC version you can zoom out, move the camera freely while giving orders to your companions.
In the console versions you are locked into a "over the shoulder" perspective and can only switch characters. That makes it hard to keep the overview over the battlefield, place area effect spells/weapons and do flanking moves.
The ability to get the overhead view coupled with the indomitable keyboard/mouse interface makes me very, very glad I shelled out the extra cash for the PC version.

Oh, wait, the PC version is actually $10 cheaper in the US.

Suckers.
Damn. That's a huge disadvantage. These are the times wherein it sucks to have a laptop as the only PC source. I'll have to check youtube again if I can enjoy the game with only over-the-shoulder view.
I have the PC version and the requirements aren't bad. Pretty much the same as NWN2, but with the requirement for 20GB of HD space (!)

GodofDisaster

Premium member
Sep 10, 2009
Well first just let me say, "well done" to the winners of the game contest, now on with the post.
Now for the Same answer I always give. Great work Yahtzee as usual. Although since RPG games aren't really my style I think I'll be skipping out on this game.

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
I can't call Dragon Age: Origins a dark fantasy with a straight face, either. The characters are all just too funny and lovable for me to ever think about anything much other than how gorgeous the voice acting is. "'Eees not mangy!"

I like the moral choices they give you though, in that there actually isn't a good or evil choice; all the choices make sense in context and you don't get graded at the end, aside from the fact that some of your characters will or won't approve.

Perhaps it's because of the humour in the game, but I kind of got the sense that it was ticking off all the fantasy cliches deliberately, and then playing with them dungeons and dragons style, either as an homage, or as self-aware satire. Who knows? Maybe it's just the fact that it earns so many points for having such a well-rounded and unbelievably likable cast of characters that I'm completely oblivious to its flaws. Honestly, a game hasn't made me laugh this hard in this entire console generation. I could listen to Alistair and Morrigan bicker all day.