Zero Punctuation: Dragon Age: Origins

newman

Nov 9, 2009
Right, so basically, the biggest fault that Yahtzee can find with Dragon Age is that it's a fantasy role playing game.. Great deduction skills, sherlock - that's like saying "yea monkey islands are ok games but they suck because they're adventure games". There's 6 minutes of my life I'm not getting back - I hate it when reviewers start trashing things just for the sake of trashing. If he was someone who doesn't know just how much time and effort goes into making a game like this, I wouldn't even say anything. But he does, and despite Bioware really did good with this game, going out of their way to make it big, interesting, and complete (in a world where it's normal to pay 50? for a buggy half finished game that you can complete in 3 hours flat), he still finds he has to find a fault, even if it's not a legitimate one. The comment about having sex with a girl instead can really be applied to just about any game - it was sadly stereotypical, and a very poor attempt at humor. But I shouldn't be surprised, since after his "washington road trip" video, it's become apparent that his target audience are people in their young teens who still find comparing monuments to genitals funny.

Flack

Brushie Brushie Brushie
Mar 14, 2008
I enjoyed this game, and the review. I liked how the elves were second class citizens, usually they are all high and mighty, mysterious etc etc

Kanashe

May 8, 2008
newman said:
Right, so basically, the biggest fault that Yahtzee can find with Dragon Age is that it's a fantasy role playing game.. Great deduction skills, sherlock - that's like saying "yea monkey islands are ok games but they suck because they're adventure games". There's 6 minutes of my life I'm not getting back - I hate it when reviewers start trashing things just for the sake of trashing. If he was someone who doesn't know just how much time and effort goes into making a game like this, I wouldn't even say anything. But he does, and despite Bioware really did good with this game, going out of their way to make it big, interesting, and complete (in a world where it's normal to pay 50? for a buggy half finished game that you can complete in 3 hours flat), he still finds he has to find a fault, even if it's not a legitimate one. The comment about having sex with a girl instead can really be applied to just about any game - it was sadly stereotypical, and a very poor attempt at humor. But I shouldn't be surprised, since after his "washington road trip" video, it's become apparent that his target audience are people in their young teens who still find comparing monuments to genitals funny.
Dude, I love you SO fucking much

newman

Nov 9, 2009
devilhunterx said:
So the game is re-hased cliche then.
It's really not. Yes, it sticks to certain well established rules of the genre, but that's not necessarily a bad thing, especially when done this well. To be honest, Yahtzee was always more concerned about sounding cool and funny then delivering a realistic breakdown of a game's faults and strengths - he can sometimes throw in an amusing comparison, but for a serious review, well, keep looking. It would be a shame to miss a really well done game because someone thought he was being funny - don't take ZP too seriously.

Primus1985

Dec 24, 2009
I had to finally come on and share my experiences.

I like Dragon Age, Bioware did a amazing job as usual but they glitched big time!
I played through about 45 hours of my first playthrough(Human Beserker warrior) and then I played through again because I got the game guide and I wanted to be a female elven ranger. I dreamed of being a forest warrior that could summon beasts to the fight and master dual swords.

However unlike most specialations you have to buy the book for it instead of learning it from a npc. The book is only at one Vendor and once its gone its gone. I worked, scraped and grinded the first 10 hours to get enough money to buy it. Had to sell most everything and I was broke afterward, it was 15 gold pieces, 150,000$ broken down. I bought it right before leveling to level 8, and it wouldnt unlock.

25 or so hours in I learn the bard specialtion from a npc and its unlocked instantly. I even load the game back at 10 hours and the bard special is still unlocked but not Ranger. Now I have to scrap 25 hours of gameplay, and scrape together all that money again and pray and hope it unlocks the NEXT time!

Screwed out of 25 hours of real time and $150,000 virtual money, not chump change. Hell 25 hours is as long as the first Mass Effect(including "Bringing down the sky") I wasted the entire length of Mass Effect on something I cant have!

Never have I been so made at a video game in all my life, and its one I like no less! Felt like Yahtzee ready to throw my controler across the room into the tv.

If this glitch can be fixed please let me know if not... Bioware is going to get a steaming letter.

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
I'll grant you, most of your points on this game are pretty valid. But I just have to ask you something Yahtzee: what the fuck do you have against a game having replay value?

dragonwingsilver

Jan 5, 2010
its interesting and its fun as hell to piss off every one you talk to, he has some valid points to it and they are true but its enjoyable still

also i'm supriced he knows what otherkins are...my ex was one....if only i didn't save her life -_-*

Ell Jay

Jun 3, 2009
Don't know what he's getting at talking about "a bunch of people that all look the same." I haven't encountered 2 NPCs that look identical in the entire game. That kind of thing happened in KOTOR2, not in 2009.

Veldt Falsetto

Dec 26, 2009
Kanashe said:
dekuben said:
Kanashe said:
While Yahztee waves his stick for you sorry twats.
It's not just any old stick; it's actually his big black pseudo-Australian Wiimote and if you saw the size of it, you'd understand why he puts whiggers like me and you to shame D:
The day I'll be shamed of this jackhole is the day when Nintendo makes a game that's worth a shit an Paris Hilton grows a brain.
Well look at you Mr Silly Bear, Yahtzee is funny and that's why people like him, I'm now assuming you like Halo and Gears because fans of those games know nothing about gaming and even people without a brain such as Ms Hilton know that Nintendo themselves make amazing games and that Halo in particular is extraordinarily meh. So either you're a no brained sheep for following Halo fans and baseless Nintendo haters orrrrrrrrrrr you were offended that Yahtzee liked Dragon Age and poked fun at its clichés, either way it's stupid.

Veldt Falsetto

Dec 26, 2009
Primus1985 said:
I had to finally come on and share my experiences.

I like Dragon Age, Bioware did a amazing job as usual but they glitched big time!
I played through about 45 hours of my first playthrough(Human Beserker warrior) and then I played through again because I got the game guide and I wanted to be a female elven ranger. I dreamed of being a forest warrior that could summon beasts to the fight and master dual swords.

However unlike most specialations you have to buy the book for it instead of learning it from a npc. The book is only at one Vendor and once its gone its gone. I worked, scraped and grinded the first 10 hours to get enough money to buy it. Had to sell most everything and I was broke afterward, it was 15 gold pieces, 150,000$ broken down. I bought it right before leveling to level 8, and it wouldnt unlock.

25 or so hours in I learn the bard specialtion from a npc and its unlocked instantly. I even load the game back at 10 hours and the bard special is still unlocked but not Ranger. Now I have to scrap 25 hours of gameplay, and scrape together all that money again and pray and hope it unlocks the NEXT time!

Screwed out of 25 hours of real time and $150,000 virtual money, not chump change. Hell 25 hours is as long as the first Mass Effect(including "Bringing down the sky") I wasted the entire length of Mass Effect on something I cant have!

Never have I been so made at a video game in all my life, and its one I like no less! Felt like Yahtzee ready to throw my controler across the room into the tv.

If this glitch can be fixed please let me know if not... Bioware is going to get a steaming letter.
That's not even bad compared to som glitches in this game, I think all the common complaints are on the DA wikia, I for one have been put off Bioware thanks to this title

Kanashe

May 8, 2008
Veldt Falsetto said:
Kanashe said:
dekuben said:
Kanashe said:
It's not just any old stick; it's actually his big black pseudo-Australian Wiimote and if you saw the size of it, you'd understand why he puts whiggers like me and you to shame D:
The day I'll be shamed of this jackhole is the day when Nintendo makes a game that's worth a shit an Paris Hilton grows a brain.
Well look at you Mr Silly Bear, Yahtzee is funny and that's why people like him, I'm now assuming you like Halo and Gears because fans of those games know nothing about gaming and even people without a brain such as Ms Hilton know that Nintendo themselves make amazing games and that Halo in particular is extraordinarily meh. So either you're a no brained sheep for following Halo fans and baseless Nintendo haters orrrrrrrrrrr you were offended that Yahtzee liked Dragon Age and poked fun at its clichés, either way it's stupid.
Awwww....Aren't you a cute Nintendo doggy and Yahtzee sheepy. Yahtzee being funny? Give me a fucking break, oh I'm suuuuree dick/sex/racist/gay jokes are the hight of comedy, if your fuckin' 10 years old and have a brain of a gold fish. An honestly, this is the best ya could do? Just 'cause I think Yahtzee and Nintendo suck as much as the people who actually like 'em, you belive I enjoy shit like Halo or GoW? Wow, you sir are nine different flavours of fail, but why should I be suprised? All you Nintendo dogs or even Yahtzee sheep are made of fail. An yeah, Nintendo can go an fuck 'em selfes, makeing great games my ass, thoes guys can't do jack shit.

lucky_sharm

Aug 27, 2009
Kanashe said:
Veldt Falsetto said:
Kanashe said:
dekuben said:
Kanashe said:
Awwww....Aren't you a cute Nintendo doggy and Yahtzee sheepy. Yahtzee being funny? Give me a fucking break, oh I'm suuuuree dick/sex/racist/gay jokes are the hight of comedy, if your fuckin' 10 years old and have a brain of a gold fish. An honestly, this is the best ya could do? Just 'cause I think Yahtzee and Nintendo suck as much as the people who actually like 'em, you belive I enjoy shit like Halo or GoW? Wow, you sir are nine different flavours of fail, but why should I be suprised? All you Nintendo dogs or even Yahtzee sheep are made of fail. An yeah, Nintendo can go an fuck 'em selfes, makeing great games my ass, thoes guys can't do jack shit.
So you call out Yahtzee as being a vulgar one trick pony, and then type out a bunch of cuss words, spout unfounded hatred, and use overused unfunny internet phrases like "fail"? Way to go! You tell em, brutha! You are so very enlightened and charismatic compared to these ignorant sheeple! Err...quick question, but when did people start making games specifically for Yahtzee to critisize? Despite obviously being opposed to Yahtzee, why ever so productively spend your valuable time on these forums complaining about him?

Personally, I think it's cuter how the people who supposedly hate and express their disgust of Yahtzee still watch his reviews anyway. And then complain about it in the comments section. And then do the same thing again next week. Kind of like the people who boycott Modern Warfare 2 and ended up buying it regardless. Even cuter how these people call others "blind" end up horribly misinterpreting Yahtzee's reviews and why he always nitpicks and accentuates the negative.(as stated for the kajillionth time, watch the Bioshock review) Like for example, this one here. Since the slower, more impatient people want the short version, yeah he liked this game.