Zero Punctuation: Dragon's Dogma

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
It has been a very long time since Yahtzee made me laugh as hard as he did this week!

There's a reason he spent so long talking about the Pawn system, as opposed to combat, and that's mostly because the Pawn system is the most interesting thing about the game. Over all, its a pretty good game. I've been recommending to to people bored with Skyrim. But the Pawn system is by far its most unique feature.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
PureIrony said:
I'm surprised he didn't complain about the lack of fast travel. From what I've heard, this game is a pain in the ass to play sans-combat.

And, given that he didn't exactly endorse the combat, I see little reason to pick this up.
He did reference it in the whole trudging 15 miles out.

Danceofmasks

Jul 16, 2010
Don't care about your pawn, but if I see an overweight black chick I'd be more likely to check out her assets.

remmus

Aug 31, 2009
Danzavare said:
An absolutely hilarious video~! Easily one of my favourite Zero Punctuation videos~!

After this review I'm even more tempted to buy the pimping simulator Dragon's Dogma. I plan to play a mage if I do so hopefully there will be less grabbing and being suplexed for me.
personally I find it to be a satisfying and fun challenge mastering the bigger monsters, especially when you learn some moves can be turned against them. Like the monster yathzee mentions that jumps on it´s back, with a well timed jump command you can make the monster land flat on it´s back, turning a high damage move into several second of free monster whacking.

kyogen

Feb 22, 2011
ChaosMine said:
kyogen said:
Well, he's not really wrong. Comparing it to pimping is the joke form of what the pawn system is: a master/slave relationship a la G.W.F. Hegel with a good dose of Friedrich Nietzsche's take on morality and will.

Dragon's Dogma is a very smart smart game. It's fun to play and has excellent combat, creature animations, and AI pathing. It also draws its fantasy narrative not from Tolkien, but from French symbolism and German philosophy. It's anything but generic, though it's flexible enough to allow its players to be as generic as they like. You don't have to know or care about its source material to have a great time with it, but it's got a lot of layers if you want to start peeling.
I think besides European philosophy, Dragon's Dogma's ending is strongly influenced by Buddhism as well. The all "Godsbane ends the loop to go to higher place" business is the basic concept of "Nirvana." The final dungeon "Everfall" is referenced the Avici hell.

Btw, has anyone noticed that you can kill children in Dragoon's Dogma? Nye. Not a big deal.
Absolutely. Secular philosophy in Japan tends to favor certain European (especially German) philosophers largely because of the affinities that exist between them and scholarly work done within Japanese Buddhism: Nietzsche (death of God = Godsbane; eternal recurrence), Schopenhauer, etc. The art style of the game, the French symbolist quote at the beginning, and the in-game articulation of concepts suggest that what the developers drew on for the trappings of their "Western" fantasy world wasn't Tolkien or the Brothers Grimm.

None of the Dragon's Dogma children are quite as annoying as the ones who run around in Whiterun, so I actually hadn't tried. I like that cattle can fight back if you pick on them, though.

SiskoBlue

Monk
Aug 11, 2010
Finally a game that's completely mental, and with broken bits, but introducing interesting new ideas. Perfect for Yahztee's wit.

Danzavare

Oct 17, 2010
remmus said:
Danzavare said:
An absolutely hilarious video~! Easily one of my favourite Zero Punctuation videos~!

After this review I'm even more tempted to buy the pimping simulator Dragon's Dogma. I plan to play a mage if I do so hopefully there will be less grabbing and being suplexed for me.
personally I find it to be a satisfying and fun challenge mastering the bigger monsters, especially when you learn some moves can be turned against them. Like the monster yathzee mentions that jumps on it´s back, with a well timed jump command you can make the monster land flat on it´s back, turning a high damage move into several second of free monster whacking.
I can definitely see the fun in that but I just can't find it in me to say no to a class that can shoot fire at things (It's my weakness). Maybe I'll try a spellsword if they have anything of the like in the game.

Oh, and fancy avatar~!

Rhatar Khurin

Aug 14, 2008
I've never heard of this game before but it did strike a note with me. Mainly i think due to the pimping gameplay lol

remmus

Aug 31, 2009
Danzavare said:
remmus said:
Danzavare said:

I can definitely see the fun in that but I just can't find it in me to say no to a class that can shoot fire at things (It's my weakness). Maybe I'll try a spellsword if they have anything of the like in the game.

Oh, and fancy avatar~!
there is basicly, it´s called a Mystic Knight, tho it playes more like a self/group buffing warrior (think typical cleric classes), if you want more agile mage warrior the closes is the arcane archer, who as it says on the tin, uses a bow shaped item to shoot magic like it was arrows.

*tips hat* thanks, it was a commission of my 'fursona' tho a bit outdated, have to remember to change to my current

AppleShrapnel

Jan 2, 2010
My first pawn was a tall, burly man with dark skin and really long white hair (vocation was warrior) and boy-howdy, people ate him up. By the time I got to end-game (not quite new game+) I had a little over 300,000 rift crystals. 0.0

Now in new game+, I changed him into a dark elf chick (used my stockpile of crystals to buy all the skin and eye/makeup pigments and a "redesign-your-character-and-pawn-anytime-you-fancy" item... but no eyeglasses yet)... new incarnation hasn't been quite as successful. Not sure if it's her level (somewhere around 80 or 90, I forget exactly) or what. I mean, I've seen enough female pawns sporting silk lingerie to know scantly clad ladies are easier to "pimp". :p

Altered Nova

Apr 5, 2012
Haven't played the game yet, but thumbs up to any game that lets you create an overweight minority woman character. Seriously, if your game includes a character creator it should include all possible gender, race and body types as options.

Really sick of games that tell you to make a character but limit you to men, or white people, or skinny people or whatever. I'm looking at you Crackdown, Two Worlds, Risen, etc. What is even the point of having a character generator if you are going to arbitrarily limit the players options anyway?

Arkanoid

Jun 16, 2012
"A generic riff someone made by holding an electric guitar next to a sewing machine"

Oh what like the one I have to hear at the start of EVERY FUCKING ZERO PUNCTUATION VIDEO

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
Tony2077 said:
well i don't know if this was the point but now i want to play it
You won't be disappoint

http://videogamesawesome.com/category/dragons-dogma/

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
CD-R said:
Tony2077 said:
well i don't know if this was the point but now i want to play it
You won't be disappoint

http://videogamesawesome.com/category/dragons-dogma/
the music sounds good but i still don't understand what they say. such jokers thanks for the link