Zero Punctuation: E3 2014 - Deflate Your Hype Balloons

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
The PC is wearing a TotalBiscuit hat.

This is my favorite episode. Ever. EVER!

Mar 26, 2008
I loved that smug-looking cat. I laughed out loud at the Nintendo summary. That purple ass-rupturing dildo looked downright terrifying.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I agree with Yahtzee on this video completely. E3 was nothing but a big let down for me this year. There just wasn't anything that got me super excited like previous years. In fact, the week came and went and I was still going, "I'm sure tomorrow there will be something up on the web...what? You mean it's Monday already?"

irishda

Dec 16, 2010
Madmonk12345 said:
Kinda odd to comment on how the other publishers tended towards CGI trailers when Nintendo had few if any of those with actual gameplay on constant display, but I suppose one has to do a bit more work to de-hype Nintendo this time around relative to the rest.

"De-hype is to the benefit of the consumer" has been his mantra WRT E3, after all.
Nintendo is to new IPs what TV Land is to new shows: there might be one or two kicking around but bugger all if anyone knows what those are when they're buried in the mountain of rubble that is repeating series. People complain EA just puts out new iterations of what we have and then pop a boner because Smash Bros. increased the roster and that's worth $60.

There.

irishda

Dec 16, 2010
Silentpony said:
I mean really, what is E3 these days if not a giant three day long convention on why you should just buy a gaming PC and give up on the consoles all together?
PC Master Race: because the winner is the gaming system where expansive customization means you could be spending more time trying to get a game to work than actually playing the game.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
The only good thing to come out of E3 was this ZP. This generation is so lame, a mauled, dying gazelle could out run it. The only money I'll spend on games this year and maybe the next will either be for PC(new build of course), 3DS(doubtful it'll be much though), or if I can see some more good games in its future, a Wii on U.

irishda

Dec 16, 2010
LordTerminal said:
Yeah even though it was just revealed and has at least a full year of development to go and we know not much about the game yet other than the premise, fuck Splatoon because giving new games a chance after seeing them for the first time in one early demo build isn't the cool thing to do and common sense is for squares.

Oh BTW, I was being sarcastic if it wasn't obvious enough for you.

They're not even fucking out yet and people are calling them great games already.
Who's saying that? Other than Smash Bros., all I'm saying about Nintendo's new IPs is that they're worth getting excited about and keeping an eye on. Which is more than I can say for the majority of Sony and Microsoft's works. (Microsoft only had Sunset Overdrive to get me invested in and Sony only managed to get me excited when MKX came on and that's a multiplat)
all I'm saying about Nintendo's new IPs
Nintendo's new IPs
Nintendo's new IP*

Fixed that for you.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Carbo said:
Come on Yahtzee, give Nintendo some credit - they finally came out with a new idea/IP instead of rehashing Mario all the time.
Also, as Jim Sterling noted Monday, Nintendo were actually showing off lots of GAMEPLAY for their games, in situations where things couldn't possibly be entirely scripted, which seemed like a foreign concept to everyone else at the show.

IrisNetwork

Sep 11, 2013
A sound effect at the end? That was hilarious.
So far, Yahtzee's missed the games I actually cared about, so I'll be off then.

You need premium membership to watch Zero Punctuation in High Quality now? D:

Yossarian1507

Jan 20, 2010
Evonisia said:
The Xbox One controller will always be more comfortable and better looking than the 360 controller.
I am truly sorry if it sounds idiotic, but my sarcasm detector is completely broke at the moment (current football/soccer world cup really doesn't do any favor for my kidneys, liver and my brain after x beers, sorry). Was that remark serious? No really, this isn't an insult (it might sound like that, because I am a Sony fanboy, but really, no snarky comment or malicious intent here), it's just they look incredibly similar. If it wasn't sarcastic, I'd love to hear what makes it a superior controller, from sheer curiosity. My gaming combo is PS3/4 + good PC, but I do use 360 controller for many games, so if XBO controller is even better, I'd like to hear why.

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
E3 2013 perhaps im just talking for myself but being constantly being told NEXT GEN NEXT GEN NEXT GEN and being kinda let down or at least filled with hope for next years E3. Now we have E32014 the NEXT GEN consoles are out and still no real next gen games......i dont know it just feels really underwhelming these days

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Cool so when Yahtzee says Nintendo should make something new and they do he's allowed to deny what he previously requested and claim they are doing the exact same while praising a 4th game in a Sony series while also just being plain PC only?, cool I guess that means I can become a complete pompous goit to anyone around me and deny claims/requests off the bat because it fits my cynicism so damn well.

I'm just going to say I don't think he should be allowed to get away with it though because really it;s just shown that he's willing to feed the ego of morons and people who strictly follow the PC master race brigade and tells them it;s okay to make requests but to deny others actual evidence even if it appears in your face.

This is probably why I tend to watch his drown outs on Youtube rather than Zp anymore, it just seems like trivial shit that plays the same tune and as time goes by we know by each show that he's more than willing to feed the PCmasterrace ego and willing to just play the same old tune while a good chunk drown in hypocrisy without realising how wrong that is.

But yeah apart from that I thought this years E3 was interesting for me seeing as how Nintendo sold me even more on their Wii U, Microsoft now has my attention towards grabbing an XB1 while Sony has left me out to dry because they just don't want me to buy a Vita or a PS4 if ever this gen, especially since I know know No man's Sky is also going to PC so that's one less reason for the PS4 for me.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
LobsterFeng said:
Yeah I can already see what would happen in AssCreed: Unity for most people.

Player 1: "Alright guys our target is heavily surrounded. Let's stay quiet and wait for an opening."

Player 2: "CHAAAAAAAAAAERGEEEE!" *runs into the crowd of soldiers killing left and right making the target flee*

Player 3: *follows behind player 2 looting all the bodies*

Player 4: *outside trying to grab a collectible*

Player 1: "Goddammit."

Also the only thing that interested me was the Batman: Arkham Knight gameplay. Watching Batman shoot out of his batmobile and into the sky in one swift moment was the coolest thing. THE COOLEST THING.
Man you made me laugh more than the video did, I can so see Unity ending up exactly like that. I hope they have a way to lock the game down to only friends can join or people who are invited to prevent that sort of stuff happening.

AliasBot

Jun 14, 2013
Nintendo won for me because they actually showed sizable amounts of gameplay via Treehouse - I don't think the Splatoon trailer would have done much for me if I'd seen it first, but I'm hyped for that game after just watching gameplay of it for about an hour straight. It just looks fun.

(...it's just a pity it's going to be online-only, and my college campus's wifi refuses to have anything to do with video game consoles. Well, I guess I've still got a year to figure out a way around that.)

The only other two games I'm really interested in from E3 are a game with a really cool concept that I'm not sure I have faith in the developers' ability to follow through on (No Man's Sky - it looked gorgeous, but there just wasn't enough shown of it to really see what the game can do) and a game that's just four games I've already played (the Master Chief Collection, which essentially constitutes the convenience of having all non-Reach main Halo games on one disc, a prettier-looking version of my favorite Halo campaign, access to the one Halo multiplayer I never got to play, and the chance to see ahead of time whether I'm going to stick with the series for Halo 5 - is that worth 60 bucks? I have no idea). So the three games I might actually want are all on different consoles from each other, because of course they are. Woo.

At least my first Steam summer sale is on the horizon, so that's something, I guess.

Winthrop

Apr 7, 2010
irishda said:
LordTerminal said:
Yeah even though it was just revealed and has at least a full year of development to go and we know not much about the game yet other than the premise, fuck Splatoon because giving new games a chance after seeing them for the first time in one early demo build isn't the cool thing to do and common sense is for squares.

Oh BTW, I was being sarcastic if it wasn't obvious enough for you.

They're not even fucking out yet and people are calling them great games already.
Who's saying that? Other than Smash Bros., all I'm saying about Nintendo's new IPs is that they're worth getting excited about and keeping an eye on. Which is more than I can say for the majority of Sony and Microsoft's works. (Microsoft only had Sunset Overdrive to get me invested in and Sony only managed to get me excited when MKX came on and that's a multiplat)
all I'm saying about Nintendo's new IPs
Nintendo's new IPs
Nintendo's new IP*

Fixed that for you.
Code Name STEAM and Splatoon makes 2. IPs was correct.

OT: Hasn't E3 always been unnecessary and unfounded hype about stuff that will inevitably disappoint people. Hopefully something good will come from at least a few of these games, but I'm not going to get my hopes up.

AmberSword

Jun 16, 2014
I don't watch Zero Punctuation a lot, I come for the Jimquisition mostly, but I think people should give Yahtzee a break, his extreme cynicism is probably his character at work. I won't say I understand him or his video much, but every one of his videos I watched is him ranting about something, its his character, though I do find it quite annoying I think its necessary, nothing's ever perfect, and his character is just out to prove that.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Actually, I'd have to say Nintendo's quality has slipped in the last decade or so but overall it's not bleeding out of its ass like the AAA shit express.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
ravensshade said:
Jman1236 said:
He was spot on about EA. I was expecting a wildstar review this week though.
reviewing a multiplayer focussed game that is also an mmo?
i don't give it much chance to be honest
1. He hasn't mentioned Transistor yes, and considering he liked Bastian you know he's going to do it sooner or later.

2. If he does a mutiplayer only game, it'll be like it always is, similar to a hungry dog finding a fresh steak on the ground. The only thing he hates more the mutiplayer games are COD/MoH/Modern Warfare shooter games.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Yossarian1507 said:
Evonisia said:
The Xbox One controller will always be more comfortable and better looking than the 360 controller.
I am truly sorry if it sounds idiotic, but my sarcasm detector is completely broke at the moment (current football/soccer world cup really doesn't do any favor for my kidneys, liver and my brain after x beers, sorry). Was that remark serious? No really, this isn't an insult (it might sound like that, because I am a Sony fanboy, but really, no snarky comment or malicious intent here), it's just they look incredibly similar. If it wasn't sarcastic, I'd love to hear what makes it a superior controller, from sheer curiosity. My gaming combo is PS3/4 + good PC, but I do use 360 controller for many games, so if XBO controller is even better, I'd like to hear why.
Well I say more comfortable for a number of reasons.
The lack of battery pack on its back is irrelevant for PC gaming (I think, it's been a while since I used a 360 pad on my PC), but it still makes it easier to hold and it lives for a longer time than the 360 pad (at least in my experience).
Triggers and shoulder buttons are now essentially connected, and the triggers are shorter and more sensitive.
Thumbsticks have these grooves in them which I find easier to use and it means they don't wear away like the 360's (as fast, anyway).
D-Pad is far, far superior because it's actually in the pad rather than acting like this very bizarre button pad.
Start and back buttons are more flattened so they're easier to use and are less likely to get dirt/dust in them. They have different symbols now, though.

All in all the Xbox One controller is just more comfortable to use and I've only two complaints. Those being that the vibration on it is awful (at least when compared to the 360's) and makes a horrible noise, and that it's not very encouraging for local multiplayer. That said I don't think the local multiplayer thing will be much of a concern for a PC.