Zero Punctuation: E3 2014 - Deflate Your Hype Balloons

spwatkins

Nov 11, 2009
Steve2911 said:
A small piece of me dies every time Yahtzee tries to make 'Pisspoor' a thing.

No, it's not a thing. Stop it.
piss-poor has been a thing in my neck of the woods for decades.

Steve2911

May 3, 2010
spwatkins said:
Steve2911 said:

Well yeah, obviously I know it's an expression. Especially in the UK.

It's just not a thing I've heard anyone but Yahtzee use to make fun of the PS4. At least Bone comes naturally.

BurningWyvern90

May 21, 2013
I hardly even paid attention to E3 this year and still ended up hearing about most of the nonsense that went down. And largely didn't care.

The only thing I noticed that I'm actually interested in is No Man's Sky. Now THAT I'll get excited about.

spwatkins

Nov 11, 2009
Steve2911 said:
spwatkins said:
Steve2911 said:

Well yeah, obviously I know it's an expression. Especially in the UK.

It's just not a thing I've heard anyone but Yahtzee use to make fun of the PS4. At least Bone comes naturally.
I see. I thought he was saying "Piss Four"

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
Madmonk12345 said:
Kinda odd to comment on how the other publishers tended towards CGI trailers when Nintendo had few if any of those with actual gameplay on constant display, but I suppose one has to do a bit more work to de-hype Nintendo this time around relative to the rest.

"De-hype is to the benefit of the consumer" has been his mantra WRT E3, after all.
THat's probably because Nintendo run on net to nothing but nostalgia. And a lot of people simply don't care about playing the same fighting game with a graphical upgrade and some new characters, or another Kart game. Or nothing remotely new. There's Splatoon, but fuck multiplayer only games.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Micah Weil said:
...Roombas vs Hitler and Stalin! BRILLIANT!
I think we're gonna need a dev team and a kickstarter... :p
Who needs a dev team? Let's just start a Kickstarter and throw up some hastily scribbled designs!

....Wait, that's more an EA thing.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Reaper195 said:
THat's probably because Nintendo run on net to nothing but nostalgia. And a lot of people simply don't care about playing the same fighting game with a graphical upgrade and some new characters, or another Kart game. Or nothing remotely new. There's Splatoon, but fuck multiplayer only games.
SSB comes out once every console generation. So of course after like 6 years or so people would be excited for a new Smash game.

Nintendo's Direct involved two new IP's (4 if your counting the new IP's Miyamoto was currently working on)- Splatoon and Project: STEAM. Both of which had extensive talk time during their Treehouse Livestream.

Another was a crossover of Dynasty Warriors and LoZ

They then talked about an offshoot puzzle game revolving around Toad that expanded upon the gameplay sidequests in Super Mario Galaxy.

They also brought back a Kirby game in the same vein as Canvas curse and another yarn based platform for Yoshi.

Mario Kart had zero mentions in the entire E3 (and why would they the game came out already),

The Zelda IP had a total of 3 minutes of screen time. 2 minutes and 20 seconds of it being taken up by Aounouma talking about Legend of Zelda in front of a blank screen before showing a 45 second in game trailer.

Mario's only mention in a game was a Mario Level maker. That's it.

So yeah. Let's keep up with the very shallow and untrue claim that Nintendo only showed Smash, Mario, and Zelda in their E3.

[/quote]

Mike Pothier

Dec 14, 2012
Reaper195 said:
Madmonk12345 said:
Kinda odd to comment on how the other publishers tended towards CGI trailers when Nintendo had few if any of those with actual gameplay on constant display, but I suppose one has to do a bit more work to de-hype Nintendo this time around relative to the rest.

"De-hype is to the benefit of the consumer" has been his mantra WRT E3, after all.
THat's probably because Nintendo run on net to nothing but great, finely crafted games. And a lot of people simply don't care about playing the same fighting game with a graphical upgrade and some new characters, or another Kart game. Or nothing remotely new. There's Splatoon, but fuck multiplayer only games.
Fixed. Sorry, but some of us still consider Nintendo to be one of the best developers out there. Each Smash Brothers is more than just a graphical upgrade, for example.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Don't know why, but the smug-kitty face for the PS4 got a really good laugh out of me. Just seemed so fitting.

Also, in watching the little animation for the credits, I couldn't help but imagine the Warlord PC saying "What is a console? A miserable pile of secrets!"

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
Mike Pothier said:
Reaper195 said:
Madmonk12345 said:

THat's probably because Nintendo run on net to nothing but great, finely crafted games. And a lot of people simply don't care about playing the same fighting game with a graphical upgrade and some new characters, or another Kart game. Or nothing remotely new. There's Splatoon, but fuck multiplayer only games.
Fixed. Sorry, but some of us still consider Nintendo to be one of the best developers out there. Each Smash Brothers is more than just a graphical upgrade, for example.
Nobody cares about facts when they have a narrative to push.

But I don't expect anything fair from Yahtzee re: Nintendo, not after the LOZ:ALBW "review". He's made it clear he isn't bothering anymore in regards to them, so why take him to task for it?

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Felt the same way Yahtzee, it all looks like the same wank material.

So many people (even here) think you should be automatically excited for Nintendo's announcements when it still looks like the same bloody thing, except for Zelda were we haven't seen fuck all. And they keep mentioning they have new titles like they are the solution to everything. They're not even fucking out yet and people are calling them great games already.

Mike Pothier

Dec 14, 2012
Nazulu said:

So many think people should be automatically excited for Nintendo's announcements when it still looks like the same bloody thing, except for Zelda were we haven't seen fuck all. And they keep mentioning they have new titles like they are the solution to everything. They're not even fucking out yet and people are calling them great games already.
Er, new games ARE the solution to everything. That is the problem with the Wii U, lack of games. Most of us are excited because Nintendo has a proven history of creating remarkable games, so why should we expect these to be any different?

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Ah nothing like an old fobbing off of E3 to get the giggles going.

That end joke drew an actual out-loud laugh from me. The visual imagery of it happening just tickled me.
Jasper van Heycop said:
Jman1236 said:
I was expecting a wildstar review this week though.
That's out!? O-o

Talk about a lack of hype... lol
Shhhh the community is nice and small and friendly, and the game is great, but don't tell anyone. Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Mike Pothier said:
Nazulu said:

So many think people should be automatically excited for Nintendo's announcements when it still looks like the same bloody thing, except for Zelda were we haven't seen fuck all. And they keep mentioning they have new titles like they are the solution to everything. They're not even fucking out yet and people are calling them great games already.
Er, new games ARE the solution to everything. That is the problem with the Wii U, lack of games. Most of us are excited because Nintendo has a proven history of creating remarkable games, so why should we expect these to be any different?
That's not what I'm talking about. What I'm annoyed at is people expecting everyone else to be hyped like them, or say you have no reason to be. The new titles they've revealed don't appeal to me, yet I've already had 5 jerks tell me I'm being too difficult.

I have no problem with people being hyped, but this attitude that I should be hyped is really annoying.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Jasper van Heycop said:
Jman1236 said:
I was expecting a wildstar review this week though.
That's out!? O-o

Talk about a lack of hype... lol
I didn't think it was out yet. But we all know how his and indeed everyone's review will be; Its WOW in space. And its a moot point at the end of the day. Wildstar may be the single greatest MMORPG ever made, but WOW is so monolithic and ingrained at the only relevant MMO that nothing Wildstar will ever do will compete in anyway.

Wildstar looks quirky and fun, but I'm giving it a shelf life of 2 years before servers start going down. Two more years after that and it'll shut its door quietly and be lost like every one MMO.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Perhaps instant cynicism to everything can be just as misleading as hype.

I get the impression that Yahtzee already made up his mind before the E3 and created an image he would not let go of. The solution to anything that does not fit into his view of cinematic trailers, uninspired sequels and the three consoles failing is to simply ignore it or twist it into something bad.

Nintendo is the best example.
Yahtzee complaints about not getting any gameplay trailers, he gets nothing BUT gameplay trailers from Nintendo but just reject it from his memory. Yahtzee keeps saying Nintendo releases the same game over and over again, in response Nintendo shows a new IP, a zelda completely different from any that came before it and Bayonetta which is as different from Nintendo's other IP's as it gets. Nope! its still ''just the same stuff''

Sony shows us games from developers Yahtzee seems to respect as well as a remake of a game he was positive about for a change. His response? ''How dare they be so smug!''

I'm all in for some cynicism when deserved but i found this video downright dishonest. There's quite a lot that doesn't fall into the view Yahtzee has of this years E3.

Zak757

Oct 12, 2013
Because Yahtzee is only ever allowed to be unhappy and cynical, and that weakly calling Nintendo's conference "masturbatory" was the only way he could think of putting them down, I'd say that speaks volumes for what a great job they did this E3.

I didn't get a Wii U because of it since university starts in September for me (don't want to be distracted in a course as tough as aviation) but I did grab a 3DS XL.