Zero Punctuation: E3 2015 - Hype Train Is Back

JagerBombastic

Mar 3, 2014
It was a very dry affair this year at E3, it was like going to a wine tasting event and discovering that instead of wine they would be serving a vintage of Dr.Pepper and Coke Zero instead.

Transdude1996

Mar 18, 2014
ecoho said:
......did you watch the MS press conference? when they announced the backwards compatibility they stated and I quote
"we will have 100 games ready for backwards compatibility at the start with more to come as soon as PUBLISHERS give us the go ahead." in otherwords if its a MS game that hasn't already been remastered there's a good chance its going to be available, other then that its all on EA, Ubisoft, and so on to give them the go ahead to make their games backward compatible.
I wouldn't be too trusting of them if I were you. AAA publishers have gone on record stating they're on board with an idea, but only support it for the first 1-2 years, and then shun it thereafter.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Dearest Yahtzee,

Castrated individuals have the object to wank with, just no stones to make it worthwhile...

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
Jman1236 said:
Are the Just cause games really that good? Everyone has been going on about Just cause 3 and now Yahtzee's on the hypetrain.
Good physics engine with the addition of the grappling hook and a love of the chaos that open world games inspire in people taken up to 11. No they didn't just make 10 higher, they went to 11 by making Chaos caused by blowing every conceivable thing up an actual currency in the game.

If there was one primordial open world game from which all ones take some aspect from; Saints Row rocketed off into "zany humour", GTA drove off into cynical storytelling, THE ONE UBISOFT FORMULA mastered pointless collectables and side nonsense, Bethesda became the gods of weird glitches and Just Cause took destruction and cathartic chaos to it's extreme in a way rarely seen outside of games not called Red Faction, Guerrilla.

Also it looks like you can actually smash every building in Just Cause 3 so I guess they HAVE been taking cues from Red Faction: Guerrilla.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I was waiting for this video because I was becoming quite exasperated watching everyone on Google+ and here creaming their pants over E3 while failing to learn from previous year's E3's.

GUIGUI

Feb 13, 2009
After his good review of Splatoon, I am surprised Yathzee still hate Motion control. Sure there was a lot of failed and horrible attempt, but Splatoon has proved that aiming with gyro sensor is superior to dual stick aiming and feel almost as comfortable as Mouse+keyboard control.

Yet, he still consider motion control has one of the worst sin against gaming.

Haru17

Mar 1, 2014
Really, Just Cause 3...? Because apparently the fucking awful gaming zeitgeist gets tired of linear stories and gameplay set pieces, but doesn't get tired of aimless open worlds, guns, explosions, legal reference papers, generic choice-driven narratives, and the dull good vs bad overarching setup that precedes just about every open world game. BUT THOSE EXPLOSIONS DOE (fuck off.) Oh, yeah, also there are cables. So I guess the only things that can get gamers off are guns, explosions, and bondage.

In other news, how about that PC press conference, guys? Oh man, that'll do in the consoles this time! PC exclusives erryday! ...for about a week!

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
Marxie said:
Charcharo said:
VR will never really be a big thing. Or at least not in the medium-distance future.
It already is. At least for us simulator-fags. I'd kill for ability to look around in the cockpit of La-5 or F1 open-wheeler without using the numpad. But then again, it's not the "amazing virtual environments" or "new level of immersion" or any of that bullshit that sells it. It's the ability to very effectively use another group of muscles for necessary ingame controls. That's progress. The definition of it. No, Wii and all the other dildo-wands are not progress. They suck. They suck at their very core principle. Movements of our entire hands are not a good substitution for precision of keys, mouse or analogue sticks. We do not manipulate things telekinetically with movements of our hands IRL. While looking around using your neck is something that compliments our instincts.

Nicho223 said:
"A game where the player can do anything is a game that focuses on nothing"
So is DayZ and Minecraft and people have tons of fun on them, so Why and/or How should it be different?
Minecraft and DayZ very much focus on very specific things. Building and survival, respectively. Take that away and the game is dead. Now I dare you to name one element that is necessary for the life of Bethesda's Fallouts. There is none. Because they are already dead.

ecoho said:
......did you watch the MS press conference? when they announced the backwards compatibility they stated and I quote
"we will have 100 games ready for backwards compatibility at the start with more to come as soon as PUBLISHERS give us the go ahead." in otherwords if its a MS game that hasn't already been remastered there's a good chance its going to be available, other then that its all on EA, Ubisoft, and so on to give them the go ahead to make their games backward compatible.
Remastered? As in "we're simply selling you this game we made 8 years ago just so that you can play it on your new system"?

Yeah, that's not something that would surprise us, actually. After all, what's the point of having a big game library on your platform if you're not selling said library?
you know they've made at least 2 remastered games before this was even an option so I wouldn't doubt they would prefer you by the updated ones seeing as they spent so much time making them look better then when they first came out.
Transdude1996 said:
ecoho said:
I wouldn't be too trusting of them if I were you. AAA publishers have gone on record stating they're on board with an idea, but only support it for the first 1-2 years, and then shun it thereafter.
once they've given permission to do the backwards compatibility the publishers have absolutely nothing else to do with how it functions as MS then just configures those games to be downloaded off the market place for free after reading the disc. also good to note that MS is pretty good about keeping their policies when gamers like them, like supporting the 360 for a few more years even after xbox one launched.

Kyle Davis

Apr 23, 2010
I can see you saying with FO4 that if you can do everything then the game might focus on nothing. But of course they didn't say anything about the story so that might not be the case. We just have to wait and see.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
I hope this isn't a sign of bad things to come for Just Cause 3. One of the last times Yahtzee was ultra hyped about something relating to a game he liked, we got the disastrous Silent Hill HD Collection.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
An Ceannaire said:
Really liked the summary of games not mentioned in the video during the closing credits (was that in previous E3 videos? I can't remember). Especially enjoyed the Just Cause 3 one.
And so. did. Yahtzee.

Dr.Helios

Mar 31, 2010
I am getting really tired of Yahtzee's weird hypocrisy. This guy will slay game devs for un-originality and releasing the same content over and over yet the minute they try and change anything then he is the first to rail against it.

Also I never got the hype for any Just Cause game, I've owned both so far, played about 3 hours of each gotten more bored than I ever have with a game and traded them in.