Zero Punctuation: E3 2015 - Hype Train Is Back

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
LordTerminal said:
Silentpony said:
LordTerminal said:
"Looked about as good as a Star Wars prequel that threw up on N64."

NO IT DIDN'T! If I hear one more bullshit talk about the graphics in Star Fox Zero, I'm gonna castrate someone! The graphics are fine!

God, I love how people will admit that but not admit that KH3's graphics look like a PS2 game and every time I point that out, I get scorn.
No, no you're right. It does not look like an N64 game. It looks like a Gamecube port of an N64 game.
So its not 20 years old so much as maybe 14 years old.
But I mean it could still be fun. Nintendo has never been leading graphics wise. Hey, at least its a legit Star Fox game and not Star Fox presents space basketball. That's got to count for something.
NO IT DOESN'T EVEN LOOK LIKE THAT EITHER! I've played fucking GameCube games! They don't look like that! You are all blind, just like Yahtzee!
I do think I prefer the look of Assault to what I've seen of Zero.

But what I've seen of Zero amounts to third-hand footage over a cell phone video player, so eh.

What does bug me about Zero is the story. Why are we rebooting to the fight with Andross again?

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
LordTerminal said:
Silentpony said:
LordTerminal said:
"Looked about as good as a Star Wars prequel that threw up on N64."

NO IT DIDN'T! If I hear one more bullshit talk about the graphics in Star Fox Zero, I'm gonna castrate someone! The graphics are fine!

God, I love how people will admit that but not admit that KH3's graphics look like a PS2 game and every time I point that out, I get scorn.
No, no you're right. It does not look like an N64 game. It looks like a Gamecube port of an N64 game.
So its not 20 years old so much as maybe 14 years old.
But I mean it could still be fun. Nintendo has never been leading graphics wise. Hey, at least its a legit Star Fox game and not Star Fox presents space basketball. That's got to count for something.
NO IT DOESN'T EVEN LOOK LIKE THAT EITHER! I've played fucking GameCube games! They don't look like that! You are all blind, just like Yahtzee!
Oh, give it a rest. There's no need to all-caps us to death and pack your post with exclamation marks over a simple off hand joke about a game's graphics.

I can't tell if you're overreacting for comic effect or just really easily offended, but if it's the former, disregard this post; if it's the later, then grow up.

thanatos388

Apr 24, 2012
inu-kun said:
Oh, I wanted to hear Yahtzee's opinion on Nier 2.
There is literally nothing to say about it beyond that fact that it exists and hopefully Platinum will make the gameplay as good as everything else in the Drakengard universe for once.

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
thanatos388 said:
inu-kun said:
There is literally nothing to say about it beyond that fact that it exists and hopefully Platinum will make the gameplay as good as everything else in the Drakengard universe for once.
That's... an interesting statement. By all accounts, Drakengard 1 had almost nothing going for it beyond the comically bleak story. Drakengard 2 had better gameplay at the expense of having an idiot plot and an overly-complex New Game Plus system.

Nier and DG3 are, by most accounts, pretty good at least, though.

thanatos388

Apr 24, 2012
Enlong said:
thanatos388 said:
inu-kun said:
That's... an interesting statement. By all accounts, Drakengard 1 had almost nothing going for it beyond the comically bleak story. Drakengard 2 had better gameplay at the expense of having an idiot plot and an overly-complex New Game Plus system.

Nier and DG3 are, by most accounts, pretty good at least, though.

Haven't played Drakengard 2 admittedly but only because its practically fan-fiction at this point and didn't have Yoko Taro so even if it had the best faux Dynasty Warriors gameplay I wouldn't be interested.

Nier and DG3 were functional but that's it. Nier was incredibly easy because you were very much overpowered in terms of attack and movement and the higher difficulties only increased enemy health making the game simply more tedious instead of more difficult (but at least it was being subversive and artistic with its game design). DG3 had better gameplay but it was really repetitive and the combat wasn't deep enough to carry the whole game for me and the lazy design of the levels didn't help. Hopefully Platinum can improve upon it and make the combat much more engaging and hopefully without the frame rate dropping every time anything happens at all. Why not just have the resolution drop instead of the frame rate like in Nier? Was it because of the Unreal 3 engine?

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
"I have a though of a game in my head please give me money"

Yatzee, i present to you: Steam Greenlight.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
I was only hyped for Yahtzee's thoughts on this years E3, and it was glorious.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
He forgot No Man's Sky. I'm actually kinda curious about that because it looks as amazing as it did this year as when it was first showed off last year.

Dragonheart57 said:
nothing else does explosive pointless violence quite like it.
Mercenaries.

Mercenaries, how I miss thee...

Nilok

Apr 2, 2009
I still need to get my hands on it, but from what everyone says who gets their hands on it, Oculus Touch is as good as having your hands in VR before getting a Power Glove-esk exoskeleton armature to move your fingers for force feedback or a cortical modem. People were interrupting the tutorial for how to use it in the first few seconds by throwing virtual objects around the room since the controls were literally, you have hands in VR. You picked things up, threw them around, even playing with a slingshot or lasergun with ease since it tracks your thumb, ring finger, and middle finger. This also allows the added bonus of telling someone how you really feel non-verbally.

Comparing the Oculus Touch to the Sony Move is like comparing a modern gaming PC to an Amiga, sure they can both play games, but the Amiga would probably melt if it was forced to do the same thing as the former.

jhoroz

Mar 7, 2012
Casual Shinji said:
Super Bunnyhop is cynical about videogames?! Git outta town!
Thing is, he's usually not that cynical. Way less than somebody like Yahtzee. He can be skeptical and critical, but it's usually constructive and comes with a good sense of impartiality. His E3 video felt way more forced and was stating some pretty obvious "harsh facts" about the show that most people knew and just accepted that E3 is this dumb crazy circus show. He was really trying too hard to jump on the jaded cynical gamer band wagon whereas in previous videos he's showed much more restraint and objectivity.

GUIGUI

Feb 13, 2009
Marxie said:
GUIGUI said:
but Splatoon has proved that aiming with gyro sensor is superior to dual stick aiming and feel almost as comfortable as Mouse+keyboard control.
No it didn't. Try playing literally any actual shooter with a gyro sensor. You will know pain. No, Splatoon will not do. Because if Splatoon is a shooter - than Dark Souls is a character-driven RPG.

(...)
Would be hard to play any shooter with Gyro, seeing thereis only Splatton doing it, and the Gyro work great for it. Best players of this game all use it and laminate those who refuse to. Also, Splatooon IS a third person shooter, not a First Person shooter tough.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
jhoroz said:
Casual Shinji said:
Super Bunnyhop is cynical about videogames?! Git outta town!
Thing is, he's usually not that cynical. Way less than somebody like Yahtzee. He can be skeptical and critical, but it's usually constructive and comes with a good sense of impartiality. His E3 video felt way more forced and was stating some pretty obvious "harsh facts" about the show that most people knew and just accepted that E3 is this dumb crazy circus show. He was really trying too hard to jump on the jaded cynical gamer band wagon whereas in previous videos he's showed much more restraint and objectivity.
Felt the same way. I was really surprised that, of all people, Jim Sterling was mostly upbeat about this years's E3. Oh, he go his jabs in here and there, but for the most part he sounded pretty optimistic.

Eipok Kruden

Aug 29, 2008
What about Horizon was nostalgia bait? Yahtzee said the entire Sony conference was about nostalgia and remakes and sequels, and then conveniently left out the all new IPs.

Rect Pola

May 19, 2009
Okay, THIS is a new low. The video STARTED while I was locked into watching the overlong ad.

GUIGUI

Feb 13, 2009
Marxie said:
GUIGUI said:
Gyro work great for it. Best players of this game all use it and laminate those who refuse to. Also, Splatooon IS a third person shooter, not a First Person shooter tough.
Because Splatoon has gameplay being fitted to suit a poor means of control, not means of control being suited to gameplay. This is no way absolves the fact that gyro is fundamentally unfitted for shooter gameplay.

Jumping on one leg might be great for hopscotch due to rules being fitted to jumping on one leg, but walking on two legs is still an objectively more efficient way of getting around. Gyro is our jumping on one leg. Splatoon is our hopscotch.
Now, for any mechanic that relies on free and precise aligning of some sort of crosshair with some some sort of target, mouse is the two legs. If this aligning is strictly limited in it's movements, than a trackball OR an analogue stick is the two legs. If this aligning is based on careful rotation of a 3D object - than a joystick is the two legs.

Handheld gyro would be two legs for a waiter simulator, not for a shooter.
You speak without knowing what you are talking about. Gyro work actually better than dualstick controller. case in point, unlike many shooter, splatoon doens't need auto-aim. And by your logic, Splatoon should still play better with just dual stick than with added gyro. this is not the case. Gyro improve the gameplay, and those who use it have better control than those who only stick with dual stick.

Your whole reasoning is based on the idea Splatoon, unlike other shooters, doesn't have access to "walking on two legs" (so, in this case, dual stick).

I am spaeking form experiencce and you should do the same. Paly a full day at splatoon with the Gyro on, adjust the sensitvity to your liking, use left stick for gorss aiming and gyro for fin tuning. Than try to go back to just dual stick and you'll see that Gyro has actually improved the gameplay.

Same with OOT3D and MM3D on the 3DS. It makes use of the gyro (only when you switch to first person view) and the Gyro make the use of the arrow and the slingshot much more easier.

Whether or not Splatoon is a real shooter doesn't change the fact that, if implementing the gyro make it worst than just sticking to dual stick, then Splatoon should pay worst when the Gyro is on than when you just play with the dual stick. Yet it's the opposite that is true.

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
Marxie said:
GUIGUI said:
Eh. I said and explained - Splatoon is specifically made to work with a gyro and NOT work with a dual stick, with the gameplay mechanics being the price for that. One can make a slasher that is better played on a m+k than on anything else, but as the result of such adaptation it would actually be fucking DoTA.

GUIGUI said:
Whether or not Splatoon is a real shooter doesn't change the fact that, if implementing the gyro make it worst than just sticking to dual stick
Gyro was not just "implemented". The entirety of Splatoon was designed with gyro controls in mind.
Yes, okay. They designed their game around a control scheme, made sure the game was built with it in mind. Good design philisophy, making sure you have your controls planned out.

What does that have to do with the suitability of one control scheme for a genre?

Are... are you trying to say that it doesn't count because they put effort into it? Or something? That probably sounds like a stupid question, but I think I've completely lost the thread on this one.