Zero Punctuation: Elite: Dangerous - Space Truckin'

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Hm. Honestly this sounds kind of interesting. Being a space trader sounds more interesting than driving a truck, particularly if there's the occasional space battle to liven things up.

I'll check it out.

EDIT: 59.99!? Uh. I'll wait for a price drop.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
Awesome, I was hoping Yahtzee would do Elite: Dangerous, and I agree with his verdict: it's fun if you're a boring adult who enjoys virtual Sunday driving.

I was playing online at first, but then I was reminded I have the worst luck in the universe when I encountered a player in the middle of nowhere in the one system where I happened to have a bounty. I submitted to interdiction, thinking I just had another obnoxious NPC kill to chalk up, only to be thoroughly annoyed that a Viper managed to kill my Cobra while I was still in the warrant scanning phase. Then I saw the player name, realized I'd been ganked, and was now 150k credits shorter. I went solo and never went back, because it's not like I was being paid more credits to take the greater risk of being PvP'd.

Regarding the unfairness of missions that have you grab stolen goods, it's deliberate because you can actually smuggle goods into the station without being scanned. Funny enough, I understand people back in beta did it by charging the station doors, turning off flight assist so they coast towards the entrance, then shutting down their entire ship in "silent running" mode in order to avoid being scanned, only to make panicked last minute course corrections as required.

This is unnecessary:
All you have to do line up to the station doors at a fair distance away and charge in at maximum speed on as straight an approach vector as possible. The authority ships fly around the entrance in a ring, scanning ships that come in at an angle, but can't make up their mind which one of them gets to scan the ships coming straight in. Even if they did, it's not like you would give them enough time to complete a scan before you're in the door. If you can line yourself up, it's easy smuggling every time.

The only other point I would make is, egads, is it ever a grind. Once you've got your Cobra (~350k credits), you might as well settle in for flying the same ship for a couple weeks, because the Type-6 Transport (2M credits) is a downgrade in all things not cargo hauling related, and the next ship will run you a whopping 6M credits. If you're good, you might be able to manage about 300k credits an hour, but most runs you'll be lucky to get in under 100k, there's a great deal of randomness to which profitable opportunities you are likely to encounter.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
aegix drakan said:
Zontar said:
aegix drakan said:
And the less said about X3 the better. I couldn't even finish the tutorial without getting annoyed enough to quit.
But Reunion doesn't have a tutorial.
I played X3: Terran Conflict. Not reunion.
That's the problem when you have three three games with the same number.

Pseudonym

Legacy
Feb 26, 2014
Country
Nederland
From what people tell me of this game it sounds less like Euro Truck simulator and more like sid meiers pirates in space.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Solo-Wing said:
So it is A trucking Simulator that takes place among the stars? Sounds interesting.

Also are you going to keep avoiding Smash Bros Yahtzee? It is the review we are all waiting for.
He doesn't like fighting or multiplayer-focused games. As TC pointed out he covered this in his Extra Punctuation column (and also brought it up in a couple of videos, I think it was in 2014's Top 5 and then another). You can watch his Brawl review for an approximation though:

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
I got a hearty laugh from "that" joke. Also, nobody's started a flame war over it. There may be hope for you guys yet.

I just jinxed it, didn't I?

As for the game itself, I would be VERY interested in playing this if not for two things:

1. My current computer doesn't meet the system requirements.

2. The "always online" requirement, even for Solo mode.

It's a real shame too, because I love me some space sims. I played the X-Wing series to death growing up, and in recent years I've caught up on classic titles I missed, like Wing Commander: Privateer and Frontier: Elite 2.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
I think I'll stick to Sunset Overdrive for games to play without actually listening to the game and just having a relaxed time.

But perhaps I'm simply not the audience for the likes of Euro Truck Simulator.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
Pseudonym said:
From what people tell me of this game it sounds less like Euro Truck simulator and more like sid meiers pirates in space.
Naw. The "Smugglers" series (google "Smugglers 5") is Sid Meiers' Pirates in space, only without the action sequences. "Space Rangers" is also a good pick, it resembles the original game a little less, but is better for it.

"Elite: Dangerous" is definitely Euro Truck Simulator in space. Right down to the gratuitous detail in the presentation of how it would feel to pilot an Elite-series spaceship.

Barciad

Apr 23, 2008
Bedinsis said:
Solo-Wing said:
Also are you going to keep avoiding Smash Bros Yahtzee? It is the review we are all waiting for.
Nonsense! It's Crusader Kings II we're all waiting for.

And by "we" I mean "I".
Forget that! My highlight of the year will be his take on 'Hearts of Iron IV'.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Huh. I never heard of this game before (shows how often I read The Escapist's other review articles), but thanks for bringing it to my attention. Might give it a go. Sounds like an FTL-ish kind of game.
Gone Rampant said:
prpshrt said:
Finding myself oddly enjoying space games off late... Started with FTL so will probably pick this up. Also "Longer than Anita Sarkeesian's list of grievances" LOL
Pretty much this concerning the Sarky joke. Nice to kick off 2015 with a bunch of positive reviews, Yahtzee, will make the first blood all the more satisfying.
If it's wrong to laugh at a joke involving Sarkeesian, I don't want to be right. Also laughed at the "Daywalkers" bit, because I frequently use that.

lonercs

Jun 6, 2008
prpshrt said:
Finding myself oddly enjoying space games off late... Started with FTL so will probably pick this up. Also "Longer than Anita Sarkeesian's list of grievances" LOL
I heard that an I was like "Oh shit! Shots fired!" I do love how Yahtzee does not give a fuck who he pisses off. Even funnier when he and his friend was trying avoid the topic of Anita and SJWs on their Drown Outs only to give up and make fun of them the very next week.

TheRealCJ

Mar 28, 2009
How dare you make fun of a podcast-related death?! My FATHER was killed after his podcast ran long, and he had no choice but to listen to it rather than take off his headphones to hear the emergency broadcast system's message down in the mine!

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
I got bored of space trucking, so now I fly into unclaimed or anarchic systems and dispense some justice. It's more fun and has more immediate rewards. Just don't do it unless you have a kill warrant scanner. It's a waste of time without it. Still fun though.

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
Pseudonym said:
aka: Escape Velocity

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
Solo-Wing said:
So it is A trucking Simulator that takes place among the stars? Sounds interesting.

You've been here long enough to know the answer to that.

OT: I wish there was a medium in space for sound to travel through so I could toot my space truck horn.

Rect Pola

May 19, 2009
Oh man, I've always found it amusing, but it's been a while since a ZP genuinely made me laugh.

yes_more_ads_please

Nov 30, 2011
"There's something relaxing about completing incredibly long, draw-out, but totally uncomplicated tasks."

And Yahtzee says he doesn't understand MMOs...