Zero Punctuation: Elite: Dangerous - Space Truckin'

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
I played Frontier/Elite II on the Amiga, although 'travel somewhere and get killed instantly' is a more appropriate description of my experience. My fondest memories just involve spending ages docking (to the sounds of tinny classical music), followed by gazing longingly at the list of weapons and upgrades I couldn't afford...

Sadly don't have a PC that could cope with Elite Dangerous [or a certain other space-y game doing the rounds at the moment], so I probably won't get a chance to be awful at this one.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
A mostly positive Yahtzee review will do wonders for its sales I imagine.

The always online thing, especially seeing as they used to say it wasn't required far earlier in production, kind of cheeses me off it and I've got quite a bit of money in Star Citizen already...

Still, I might end up buying it at some point. Life is too hectic for space overload right now though.

WhiteNachos

Jul 25, 2014
prpshrt said:
Finding myself oddly enjoying space games off late... Started with FTL so will probably pick this up. Also "Longer than Anita Sarkeesian's list of grievances" LOL
My first thought was "I was kind of glad he never mentioned her before, I would've just said 'longer than an Ayn Rand novel'."

Now I'm going to play a little game where whenever I see her name I will mentally replace it with Ayn Rand and watch hilarity ensue.

WhiteNachos

Jul 25, 2014
lonercs said:
prpshrt said:
Finding myself oddly enjoying space games off late... Started with FTL so will probably pick this up. Also "Longer than Anita Sarkeesian's list of grievances" LOL
I heard that an I was like "Oh shit! Shots fired!" I do love how Yahtzee does not give a fuck who he pisses off. Even funnier when he and his friend was trying avoid the topic of Anita and SJWs on their Drown Outs only to give up and make fun of them the very next week.
When was this? (Also to keep up with my game, I should mention that they did bring up Ayn Rand in the split/second review")

Pescetarian

Jul 6, 2010
Rect Pola said:
Oh man, I've always found it amusing, but it's been a while since a ZP genuinely made me laugh.
Same here. I've been binge-watching ZPs all this week and I still laughed at that 'undercover cop' scenario.

Also, why is everyone bracing themselves over just a casual mention of Anita Sarkeesian's name? He was saying that she has a lot of problems with the game industry, which is empirical fact - never mentioned anything either way about agreeing with them.

Don't forget, it's S-A-R-K-E-E-S-I-A-N, not C-A-N-D-L-E-J-A-C-K.

Methodia Chicken

Sep 9, 2014
Oh happy Yahtzee is always infinitely more entertaining than grumpy Yahtzee, or bitter Yahtzee or broken in the face of insufferable failings of humanity Yahtzee.
it's funny that you don't see him very much though. perhaps other humans drain him like vampires and he's reappeared today after discovering the U.K import store does delivery.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
lax4life said:
Solo-Wing said:
So it is A trucking Simulator that takes place among the stars? Sounds interesting.

Also are you going to keep avoiding Smash Bros Yahtzee? It is the review we are all waiting for.
You've been here long enough to know the answer to that.

OT: I wish there was a medium in space for sound to travel through so I could toot my space truck horn.
They definitively should have made the D-scanner sound broadcast to all other ships within a certain radius.

Grumman

Sep 11, 2008
lax4life said:
OT: I wish there was a medium in space for sound to travel through so I could toot my space truck horn.
They could add a new, even lower power laser that doesn't draw (as much) aggro from the authorities. Instead of honking your horn at someone, just light them up them with the laser.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Solo-Wing said:
So it is A trucking Simulator that takes place among the stars? Sounds interesting.

Also are you going to keep avoiding Smash Bros Yahtzee? It is the review we are all waiting for.
Go watch his review of Brawl. I doubt his opinion of the new one will be much different.

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
I request we get a small series of "Space Commander Yahtzee the nth" chronicling his adventures and ultimate demises.

Rattja

Dec 4, 2012
It's quite good, but it is what you make of it.
The best thing about it is how the ships controls, how they feel, it's a very good basis to build on as I am sure they will.
It gets even better if you happen to have a joystick, but it handles well even with the standard mouse control, way better than you would expect. Or you could use a xbox controller if that is your fancy, or do what I did, a joystick + G13 gamepad.

This guy https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjgBlzLxsgbVuHfZPe0AeIg has a series called "Flight assist off" it gives you an idea of what you could be doing out there, even though most of them are from beta they are still very informative.

It's a sandbox, a huge, gigantic, galactic sandbox. It is easy to get lost out there, personally I have not seen any players since I started out, as I just went off in one direction until I found a perfect trading system which I claimed as my own. It's not fast or have tons of action all the time, but when you do end up fighting it can be very tense depending on the situation.
But you don't need to get into a fight to feel the heat, you could just be jumping around exploring the area just to discover that your fuel scoop does not work on T-class stars and you now don't have enough fuel to go anywhere. So the only thing left to do is to crash into the star in a blaze of glory and accept the loss of all that exploring data.
Or realize that selling your shields to replace it with cargo space was a really bad idea when a pirate opens fire at you with 100 tons of gold at stake.

It's a game that is easy enough for most people to get into, but at the same time have a lot of things that you could master and customize to fit your playstyle. Even things like doing an efficient hypercruise jump is very rewarding when pulled off since it can save you up to several minutes of travel time, and it is worth learning if you trade a lot because time is money friend.

Also if you want to truly immerse yourself in this world, get voiceattack with elite voice pack and some VR goggles, it is actually quite impressive what they have done with it.

It's not perfect, but the gameplay is solid and well done, so if you are somewhat interested in spacesim or space truckin you ought to check this one out.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
Neverhoodian said:
I got a hearty laugh from "that" joke. Also, nobody's started a flame war over it. There may be hope for you guys yet.

I just jinxed it, didn't I?
I was surprised by this as well. I expected a massive flame war by the end of the first page, but it seems maybe people are finally getting over her ... hopefully.

Sotanaht

Mar 6, 2008
Solo-Wing said:

The review I'M waiting for is Divinity: Original Sin. Best PC game of 2014 and going by the (lack of) reviews it seems people don't even know it exists.

iller3

Nov 5, 2014
Neverhoodian said:
I got a hearty laugh from "that" joke. Also, nobody's started a flame war over it. There may be hope for you guys yet.
Well no....
that doesn't come until next-week when it gets posted on youtube where they love to argue about that topic and only that topic (or Consoles or gun "control"; depending on how much "disapproving foreigner" is being channeled through yahtzee that given day)