Zero Punctuation: Epic Mickey

Carbo

Dec 17, 2010
I'm a tad disappointed with this review, mostly cause I can't help but feel that Yahtzee sort of missed the point of the game and missed out a good deal of the game's core aspects. While I can see the game definitely isn't for everyone, I was hoping for some more in depth talk about the moral-choice stuff which I feel Warren Spector got down pretty damn well and interpreted them greatly into the game's concept, design and story.

Oh well, looking forward for the Extra Punctuation article.

Numachuka

Sep 3, 2010
ace_of_something said:
wow. I learned so much here.

Who knew that mickey mouse handles serious social issues with such sensitivity.
I feel like this should be a game.
That's pretty creepy.

I wasn't expecting a video this week, because last year he had a holiday round this time. I though there would be another "Fuck you I'm going on vacation" video.

SunyiNyufi

Sep 4, 2010
I'm so glad that I grew up in a land without theme park mascots...and we still don't have a Disney Land here, yay!

twaddle

Nov 17, 2009
Didn't see that one coming. That was surprisingly brutal. Yes, I do believe "Epic" was not the right word to describe it but this is probably the best game that disney was ever going to make besides kingdom hearts (and the only reason that game was halfway decent was because of square enix). At least they get a "b" for effort, but a game does not need to consist entirely of fetch quest alone. The platforming was fun about the first 15 times then it started getting dull beyond reason.

FinalDream

[Insert Witty Remark Here]
Apr 6, 2010
Figures this would never be as good as the original artwork, shame really.

skylog

Nov 9, 2009
I don't care what Yahtzee says; I'm still looking forward to getting this game.

AquaAscension

Sep 29, 2009
Had to say I laughed pretty heartily at the Canterbury Tales reference - the Miller's Tale is the source of that one.

Of course the game is going to feel strange. Like stated in the video, Disney wouldn't let anyone change their beloved franchises at all for any reason.

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
Yeah Disney really copped out on the whole "edgy" angle that Warren Spector had proposed.

Wait a second...
no mention of Warren Spector? Well, given Yahtzee's opinion, it was for the best.

Sethzard

Megalomaniac
Dec 22, 2007
Country
United Kingdom
The bit at the end when he says "So many childhoods to rape, so little time" is that the current Disney slogan?

CaptainCrunch

Imp-imation Department
Jul 21, 2008
wammnebu said:
im going to have nightmares from that dancing imp for the iphone, thanks escapist
You're welcome. We can also make the nightmares go away - http://www.escapistmagazine.com/subscription/

roostuf

Dec 29, 2009
Ha ha ha, yes finally someone put my thoughts on this pointless game into contexts thanks Yz.

OT: did anyone catch the little imp dance at the end, nice.

Carbo

Dec 17, 2010
RTR said:
Yeah Disney really copped out on the whole "edgy" angle that Warren Spector had proposed.
To be fair, fans created that expectation on their own. Concept art is always just concept art and implementing ambitious things like that, especially on the Wii mind you, feels like it's overestimating it's capabilities and, when speaking of it from a Mickey Mouse point of perspective, it's purpose. The wasteland concept, story and basis was all there from the start.

This game isn't using the word "Epic" for your standard overused stigma of orchestras and showoffs at the end of the world where the big bad summons thousands of grim reaper mooks. It comes closer to just using that in the sense of how it was before it got subject to the internet, essentially just describing a grand voyage of redemption and purpose of a hero.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
Totally loved the working class camera joke. :D
You would.

Anyhow it makes me sad that the wii doesn't seem to have any good games besides the sports titles.