Zero Punctuation: Epic Mickey

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
Today's episode was quite the social politics :D
and, yes, WHO is this game for anyway???

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Yeah, sadly, that's about what I'd been hearing from everyone else. Some neat visual design, a few good ideas, but some seriously compromised design choices (like the removal of the gritty, weasel-like Mickey you'd become if you relied over-much on thinner), terrible camera control, and not enough original and interesting game-play.

It's a shame. Spector is usually pretty reliable, and heaven knows the Wii could use more good third-party games.

Um, two child abuse jokes? I counted three. Does the parade one count as an extension of the first?

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
Carbo said:
RTR said:
Yeah Disney really copped out on the whole "edgy" angle that Warren Spector had proposed.
To be fair, fans created that expectation on their own. Concept art is always just concept art and implementing ambitious things like that, especially on the Wii mind you, feels like it's overestimating it's capabilities and, when speaking of it from a Mickey Mouse point of perspective, it's purpose. The wasteland concept, story and basis was all there from the start.

This game isn't using the word "Epic" for your standard overused stigma of orchestras and showoffs at the end of the world where the big bad summons thousands of grim reaper mooks. It comes closer to just using that in the sense of how it was before it got subject to the internet, essentially just describing a grand voyage of redemption and purpose of a hero.
Really? 'cause I heard that Warren Spector had to tone it down because of general public backlash.

Carbo

Dec 17, 2010
RTR said:
Carbo said:
RTR said:
Yeah Disney really copped out on the whole "edgy" angle that Warren Spector had proposed.
To be fair, fans created that expectation on their own. Concept art is always just concept art and implementing ambitious things like that, especially on the Wii mind you, feels like it's overestimating it's capabilities and, when speaking of it from a Mickey Mouse point of perspective, it's purpose. The wasteland concept, story and basis was all there from the start.

This game isn't using the word "Epic" for your standard overused stigma of orchestras and showoffs at the end of the world where the big bad summons thousands of grim reaper mooks. It comes closer to just using that in the sense of how it was before it got subject to the internet, essentially just describing a grand voyage of redemption and purpose of a hero.
Really? 'cause I heard that Warren Spector had to tone it down because of general public backlash.
The only thing I've read into about that was part of the Scrapper mechanic which made Mickey Mouse look more and more like a devilish rat that had fangs and walked like a hunchback, which focus testers made a huge deal over. Instead they changed it so that he leaks ink the more dastardly deeds he does. Although anyone can feel free to correct me on that.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
This is a game I chalk up to the old Bait-and-Switch tactic that so disappointed me with Spore. They lure you in with leaks of something spectacular, but halfway through development cut all the stuff that had fueled any excitement.

After that the end product just seems mocking.

beetrain

Nov 17, 2009
One of your best recent reviews.
I played my brother's copy this week, and the impression I got was that it combined the easiness and storytelling of a "kiddy" game with the dull colour scheme and style of a "mature" game.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
Srdjan Tanaskovic said:
Strange I thought that Yahtzee would praise the story (but he didn't talk much about it either). Oh well maybe we will get more info on Extra Punctuation

and I still dont see how this game isn't dark and edgy
because its not.
It doesnt go out of its way, you arent punished by your bad actions and there is no real context in which you might feel bad about doing bad things, i mean, the creator said it himself! "you can go and help the guy so that he gives you his piece of the puzzle, or you can destroy his house and take the same piece out of it" (paraphrased) but there is no real "punishment" or "reward" for doing either... its just "its gonna be more expensive" and things like that.

Folksoul

May 15, 2010
So much potential. Such a let down.
I got suckered in by the "edgy" hype and got about 6 hours in before I stopped playing.

Yahtzee was dead on.

Srdjan Tanaskovic

Oct 20, 2010
Fronzel said:
So these people are at fault for not correctly anticipating that it wouldn't be as good as it looked then? .
more or less yes because concept Art is not the graphics of game *looks at Dragon Age 2*

Srdjan Tanaskovic

Oct 20, 2010
HentMas said:
Srdjan Tanaskovic said:
Strange I thought that Yahtzee would praise the story (but he didn't talk much about it either). Oh well maybe we will get more info on Extra Punctuation

because its not.
It doesnt go out of its way, you arent punished by your bad actions and there is no real context in which you might feel bad about doing bad things, i mean, the creator said it himself! "you can go and help the guy so that he gives you his piece of the puzzle, or you can destroy his house and take the same piece out of it" (paraphrased) but there is no real "punishment" or "reward" for doing either... its just "its gonna be more expensive" and things like that.
But if we have direct punishment then the game moral system would by very black and white which is more of a Bioware thing then Warren Spector

gaming Outlaw

Sep 21, 2010
My god people,don't just take his word for it.yahzee is just....yahzee,not the first person
to come to for buying advice.It's funny that even though he knows the market in games has
stagnated he doesn't speak a word of a game like this being a new, fresh,risk taker.And
thats what it is,even if mickey didn't try to kill him self,which must be the only way
a game can be edgy.

On a side note let me remind you that Disney have(whether you know it or not)
always been the edgiest guys around.Bambi's mother gets shot at the beginning of the
movie and no one has a mom,that edgy stuff.(they just don't want you to think of it that way)

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
Srdjan Tanaskovic said:
HentMas said:
Srdjan Tanaskovic said:

because its not.
But if we have direct punishment then the game moral system would by very black and white which is more of a Bioware thing then Warren Spector
i agree, but in the end it makes no differenc what yo do or dont, and in the end it looked like something was missing, and that takes out the "edge" of doing something "forbiden" or "wrong" it then just boils down into "i´m a jerk" or "i´m not" and if you want all the credits you´ll be a jerk, and if you dont you will not, because there is no real context for doing either thing than money.

but thats my opinion.

Cheebs

Jan 16, 2008
I won't comment on the game itself as I'm not planning on getting it, but I must congratulate Yahtzee, for after three years on nonpunctuated rants I finally fell of his train of thought and had to rewind. It was magic.

Also, I am now afraid of mascots. Those grins were bastardly.

Also, "look, someone farting out of a window" was cause for my biggest burst of laughter this ZP, which in turn made me feel ashamed.

SamThe1

Sep 10, 2008
Mickey suicide comic:
http://theblarg.wordpress.com/2009/07/11/mickey-mouse-suicide/

Also one of the best reviews Yahtzee has made in a long while.