Zero Punctuation: Everybody's Gone To The Rapture

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Everybody's Gone To The Rapture

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Everybody's Gone To The Rapture.

Watch Video

Bindal

May 14, 2012
So, another typical Chinese Room "game" - an audiobook, where you hold the W-key for an hour to listen to it with a lot of pause.
I feel those guys should just do that, audiobooks, as they clearly don't have the slightest grasp of what a game is supposed to be. You know, interactive in SOME way.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
Everyone has reviewed this game.

Which has made me give up hope on finding someone who refuses to review this game.

Anyone who isn't a creationist should've known it was bad by its title alone.

OuendanCyrus

Jun 16, 2010
I can't help but feel that the amount of effort gone into making the absolutely stunning scenery in this game has gone to waste, If I could I would take the exact map from this and make a puzzle solving narrative game out of it, like Last Window or something.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
OuendanCyrus said:
I can't help but feel that the amount of effort gone into making the absolutely stunning scenery in this game has gone to waste, If I could I would take the exact map from this and make a puzzle solving narrative game out of it, like Last Window or something.
It doesn't even have to be a puzzle game. Even if it would do a similar thing like Stanley Parable and have a semi-dynamic narration that follows how you walk around and possibly interact with things would make the whole thing already better.

Logience

Jun 25, 2014
Jesus Christ, nothing's coming out anymore. At this rate, Yahtzee won't be able to make a Top 5 video.

Wonder if he'd be able to do a retro Top 5 of 2007...

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
I guess The Chinese Room are the only people who thought audio logs were the greatest story telling mechanism ever.

shiajun

Jun 12, 2008
Hey, what's with the dig at Ethan Carter? Among scenery-touring, gameplay-light software where you bump into audio bits, it had the most interaction of all of them combined and then some, and that puzzle with the house layout house very clever indeed. It even had a context for why it all happened, who you are and why you are there. AND you could run. Very fast, actually, with unlimited stamina.

Just Ebola

Literally Hitler
Jan 7, 2015
I remember thinking to myself: "Someday he's going to run out of things to liken other things to. Especially considering how abstract his metaphors are."

That was five years ago.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
So did Yathzee run out of old games to do retro reviews of? Because that's what he normally does when there's nothing coming out for him to review.

I'm also surprised that I keep seeing reviews for this game(especially considering the lack of much to do). I hadn't heard of it until Jim Sterling-sons review(who said much the same thing) and frankly, it sounds like an indie game that normally doesn't get much attention. Dear Esther was at least novel for a moment when it was released and A Metaphor for Pigs had the Amnesia name deftly tacked onto it, but...this?

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Maybe I'm severely immature, but "Buggery-on-Toast" is the best parody of quaint-little-English-town names I've ever heard.

Dalisclock said:
Dear Esther was at least novel for a moment when it was released and A Metaphor for Pigs had the Amnesia name deftly tacked onto it, but...this?
Dear Esther also started out as a free mod. It's a lot easier to convince people to experience something artsy-fartsy, and easier to convince them it was a pleasant experience, when you don't treat it like a product. Much the same way people will enjoy a trip to an art museum, even the abstract modern parts, but wouldn't shell out to own a copy of whatever's there sight unseen. I'd always assumed the paid version of Dear Esther was meant for people who'd already enjoyed the original and felt like tossing a few bucks in its creator's tip jar, as it were.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Looks like The Talos Principle is still showing people how it's done.

I love Croteam.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Pyrian said:
I wonder how much better their reviews would be if they hadn't forgotten to put the sprint button - which DOES exist - in the instructions? Lol. So far every review I've seen (okay, both of them) have complained bitterly about the lack of something which is in fact there, just undocumented. Oopsy.

http://www.thechineseroom.co.uk/blog/blog/a-few-bumps-on-landing
Yeah it's a bit bad that they didn't know about the run button but in a game that uses fewer buttons than a goddamn NES game you'd think they'd have enough buttons to have every goddamn permutation of "run" possible? Why stick with deliberately obtuse input lag-based mechanics? Why, with development time almost entirely focusing on graphics, animation and voice acting, did they leave such a feature to the last minute? No, "their artistic vision" is not an answer.

Sorry if I sound peeved, but it really isn't excusable at all. Being humble is great, but not an excuse for pretentiousness.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Steve the Pocket said:
Dear Esther also started out as a free mod. It's a lot easier to convince people to experience something artsy-fartsy, and easier to convince them it was a pleasant experience, when you don't treat it like a product. Much the same way people will enjoy a trip to an art museum, even the abstract modern parts, but wouldn't shell out to own a copy of whatever's there sight unseen. I'd always assumed the paid version of Dear Esther was meant for people who'd already enjoyed the original and felt like tossing a few bucks in its creator's tip jar, as it were.
That and The Stanley Parable also started out as a free mod, whilst also giving players a sizeable free demo for the paid version(more of a P.T. type thing actually). It takes much more than what EBGttR's shown to get me to buy this type of games, you either need a proof of concept (Dear Esther, Stanley), a reputable history (Journey) or get lucky and have a big name and false promises guiding the way (A:AMfP).

Gone Rampant

Feb 12, 2012
Logience said:
Jesus Christ, nothing's coming out anymore. At this rate, Yahtzee won't be able to make a Top 5 video.

Wonder if he'd be able to do a retro Top 5 of 2007...
Until Dawn came out a couple of days ago, and we have Phantom Pain, AC Syndicate, Fallout 4, the annual COD misery train...

Catasros

Dec 9, 2013
Couldn't care less about Everybody's Gone to the Rapture at this point, but I did hope for a Bioshock reference and a glimpse at what Yahtzee think of the Stanley Parable. Double jackpot, all's good in the world, time for the mandatory rewatching.

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
The run button is never disclosed by the game, and requires unintuitively holding a button down for a short period before it activates. It's terrible design, and no one would find it without being told of its existence.