Zero Punctuation: Evil Within 2

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I remember the old days where getting first post was more or less impossible.

Laughed at the impression of the boss whose not the final boss, that's something that gets really tiresome.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
[small]Nobody mention the clocks have already gone back[/small]

Generic evil corporation legitimately would be lacking in creativity though. Not that it excuses the monster designer's lack of creativity.

I always thought the 'rescue sweet innocent child with strong manly man' trend was a symptom of the game designers hitting middle-aged parenthood and projecting what little they know of life's emotional strife into games.

Igor-Rowan

Apr 12, 2016
For anybody feeling a deja vu, yes Yahtzee called it a few years ago:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/columns/extra-punctuation/15173-AAA-Video-Game-Dadbods

You can even see this in the new Dead Rising, that new girl whom has a master-student relationship with Frank gives that vibe.

Also, isn't this the exact same plot as Get Even?

PapaGreg096

Oct 12, 2013
Yeah one of the things that takes me out of Evil Within is how weird the setting is, like are they in virtual reality or not, why can't they unplug themsleves or like what yahtzee said kill the troublemakers.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
I think the problem with Generic Evil Corporation is that they're less evil than real life Corporations. Sure it would be scary to be turned into a zombie. But its not as evil as losing your job to Johnny 5.

I think the only time I liked a Dad Daughter Relationship is when I played as the daughter in the Dishonored 2 demo. It kept me away from feeling like I was turning into Donald Trump.

I forgot what The Evil Within 2 was about. Something about Ginger Bread Houses sounded like way more fun.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
Thaluikhain said:
I remember the old days where getting first post was more or less impossible.
It wasn't that hard, the true challenge was not getting banned on the first page.

Looking back to some of the older episode's threads are a goldmine of laughs.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Wait wait wait, I never played the first one, but is the entire premise you're in a .hack// type world and its all fake? Like no stakes, nothing is actually spooky or haunted, its just glitched software and someone with the .exe command list?!

That's fucking weak! It'd be like learning all the Saw movies are set in those Escape Rooms and everyone is paying money for the experience of a stupid clown trying to get them to confess to eating the last slice of pizza.

Blazing Hero

Feb 20, 2015
Silentpony said:
Wait wait wait, I never played the first one, but is the entire premise you're in a .hack// type world and its all fake? Like no stakes, nothing is actually spooky or haunted, its just glitched software and someone with the .exe command list?!

That's fucking weak! It'd be like learning all the Saw movies are set in those Escape Rooms and everyone is paying money for the experience of a stupid clown trying to get them to confess to eating the last slice of pizza.
No the stakes are very real. Peoples spirits get trapped in the machine and if you die in the machine you die in the real world. I would liken it to Nightmare on Elm street. Like with Freddy what happens to you in the dream may not be real but it kills you all the same. The difference is that waking up from STEM is much harder then waking up in the Elm Street movies.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Blazing Hero said:
Silentpony said:

No the stakes are very real. Peoples spirits get trapped in the machine and if you die in the machine you die in the real world. I would liken it to Nightmare on Elm street. Like with Freddy what happens to you in the dream may not be real but it kills you all the same. The difference is that waking up from STEM is much harder then waking up in the Elm Street movies.
Oh that's lame. So its just a Matrix Halloween special.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
inu-kun said:
I'm seeing the "Krillin Plays" of the games, gotta say I wish they had the balls to make a twist of the protag daughter being the antagonist in the game, going mad, helping the bad camera guy and wanting to kill you for abandoning her. But the chances of that is non existant.
Isn't this kind of the plot of FEAR? Except it's not your daughter?

Blazing Hero

Feb 20, 2015
Silentpony said:
Blazing Hero said:
Silentpony said:

You didn't like the concept behind the Matrix or Nightmare on Elm Street? Then yeah this game is certainly not for you. Though it does leave me wondering why you care about a world in fiction being "fake" when all fiction is fake anyway. No horror you watch is actually real so I don't see a difference.

Edit: Ah come to think of it you might be interested in one aspect of the games story. SPOILER for the first game...

The main antagonist of the story named Ruvik at the end of The Evil Within gains a psychic ability when exiting STEM that allows him to turn the outer world into STEM. His main goal was to blur the line of reality and STEM so they become one in the same. This means that there is no longer a machine so the creatures he creates essential do become real in the stories world. The problem is I don't know if they kept up with this plot line in the EW2 since it looks like it brought back the STEM machines. So I would say pass on this game if the machine concept bothers you. Though personally I am stoked to play the Evil Within 2 when I get the time.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Blazing Hero said:
Silentpony said:
Blazing Hero said:
Silentpony said:

You didn't like the concept behind the Matrix or Nightmare on Elm Street? Then yeah this game is certainly not for you. Though it does leave me wondering why you care about a world in fiction being "fake" when all fiction is fake anyway. No horror you watch is actually real so I don't see a difference.

Edit: Ah come to think of it you might be interested in one aspect of the games story. SPOILER for the first game...

The main antagonist of the story named Ruvik at the end of The Evil Within gains a psychic ability when exiting STEM that allows him to turn the outer world into STEM. His main goal was to blur the line of reality and STEM so they become one in the same. This means that there is no longer a machine so the creatures he creates essential do become real in the stories world. The problem is I don't know if they kept up with this plot line in the EW2 since it looks like it brought back the STEM machines. So I would say pass on this game if the machine concept bothers you. Though personally I am stoked to play the Evil Within 2 when I get the time.
See its not that I don't like the Matrix. I actually do - robots, shooting, kung fu, trippy visuals, what fun! But remember in Matrix 2, those albino ghost bros, and indeed all the other 'monsters' who were just AI programs with access to the Halloween skins? Yeah that's really lame. Its not scary if its not a ghost, but an program that's just pretending to be a ghost. It'd be like is Silent Hill wasn't a in-universe town, but just a really fucked up episode of Reboot.

Jang

Mar 21, 2009
Anyone else who keeps having a problem where you only see a commercial for the good days of the escapist? I can't watch the ZP video :/

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Jang said:
Anyone else who keeps having a problem where you only see a commercial for the good days of the escapist? I can't watch the ZP video :/
Try using different browsers
If that don't work check out the below link

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/538.1025424.24152014

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I find it funny when video games made by corporations tell stories that are very anti-corporation.

ToastyMozart

Mar 13, 2012
It's a little hard to see, but if you look closely during the intro you can see the heads of some of the other characters poking out of their brain-upload bathtubs. (Most visibly, notable coward Liam on the left.)

I find it kinda amusing that Yahtzee's criticism of the not-illuminati's idea to use their virtual brain world to make Anywhere USA is mirrored by the more interesting villain right before his boss fight.

PapaGreg096 said:
Yeah one of the things that takes me out of Evil Within is how weird the setting is, like are they in virtual reality or not, why can't they unplug themsleves or like what yahtzee said kill the troublemakers.
They do explain that stuff in the game. Basically when a character goes into the not-matrix their mind/consciousness/soul/whatever leaves their body and goes into the machine.

Just pulling them out would net you a brain-dead coma patient, and shooting troublemakers wouldn't stop their shenanigans; it'd just leave them without a means of getting out of the virtual world.