Zero Punctuation: Evolve - One vs Multiplayer

Jan 12, 2012
I'm surprised he didn't take a few more shots at the game modes only being accessible through the Campaign, so that if you wanted to go smash up a nest you have to commit to a long series of matches.

Edit: From zero to self-aggrandizing drama in only three posts. Must be a new record.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
Good point on the progression model and it does leave me to wonder if many people are still playing L4D/L4D2.
I remember getting it for free one Christmas when Valve was literally handing out copies of the game to install, never got the chance to really hop into it with a few friends though.

Still, sounds like he had fun while it lasted, I wager there was a lot of salt in the chat rooms after he got the monster :p

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Diablo1099 said:
Good point on the progression model and it does leave me to wonder if many people are still playing L4D/L4D2.
Nope, barely anyone. L4D lost its players because Valve didn't give a damn about the game (there are still bugs that had been fixed in the sequel - despite said bugs being added with the same update! And let's not mention the broken mapping tool, where Valve needed EIGHTEEN MONTHS to fix - but only one week for the sequel - and then claimed they didn't know. Despite the forum bringing that up basically on a daily basis) and the sequel doesn't have any players anymore because it's still the same broken mess it originally was in terms of gameplay.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
"Eventually your interest peters out and you just stop. Here, I'll show you what I mean."

Well that was fucking ominous.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Dec 12, 2009
Bindal said:
Diablo1099 said:
Nope, barely anyone. L4D lost its players because Valve didn't give a damn about the game (there are still bugs that had been fixed in the sequel - despite said bugs being added with the same update! And let's not mention the broken mapping tool, where Valve needed EIGHTEEN MONTHS to fix - but only one week for the sequel - and then claimed they didn't know. Despite the forum bringing that up basically on a daily basis) and the sequel doesn't have any players anymore because it's still the same broken mess it originally was in terms of gameplay.
Ahhhh, Fair enough.
They were going on about making a 3rd game right? I remember reading something about it having a largely japanese cast or something like that sometime last year.

/inb4 HL3 jokes

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
Thunderous Cacophony said:
I'm surprised he didn't take a few more shots at the game modes only being accessible through the Campaign, so that if you wanted to go smash up a nest you have to commit to a long series of matches.

Edit: From zero to self-aggrandizing drama in only three posts. Must be a new record.
Considering I will be gone and no one knows who I am and all I did was aggrandise others. I hope people on the site will be more vocal about their displeasure. The Mods are working overtime to keep things together.

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
This game has all the hallmarks of a multiplayer only game which will be dead in 3 months.

Just like Titanfall.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I basically played Evolve years ago, except it went by the name Left 4 Dead 2 survival mode, with mods. Seriously. Throw in a few aliens for the special zombies, a few new weapon skins and replace the survivors with your favorite characters from Mass Effect and its the same damn game!

Aerith

Feb 25, 2015
Sounds about right. If there's nothing to be gained anymore, my interest in multiplayer fades away like it was forgotten by Leonard Church. Once I got all the good weapons in Modern Warfare 3, for example, it didn't take me long to fudge off to greener pastures. Same goes for Uncharted 3, really. So, an entire game based around this model is beyond insane. The only MP game like Evolve that ever fancied me for a long, long while was Counter-Strike. And, let's be honest, Evolve is nowhere near the same level as Counter-Strike.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Dec 12, 2009
Caramel Frappe said:
Regardless as to how funny Yahtzee was in this entire episode.. seeing him hitting the nail by the end blew me away.

Without a proper story, without a stable campaign or challenge- it's just all based on your determination to play. Good luck wanting to continue if you've got no friends interested in Evolve. As some mentioned already, it feels like a Left 4 Dead mod except it costs $80-100 to play which is ridiculous.

Really good episode you have here Yahtzee. I must say, even my IRL friends were excited about this until it came out... than immediately lost interest. I saw that coming when they wanted to charge you DLC that would make up for two fresh games. Like are you kidding me??
Well, turns out they were all mostly cosmetics rather then "Content", though I really do wonder how much they could have added if they didn't spend so much time and effort on add-on content that could have easily been used as rewards for progression.
Could have even helped that determination issue by providing extra challenges with decent rewards for it.

Though to be honest, I'm not really sure how they would even go about building a campaign for this, seeing how the gameplay is so focused on the 4v1 stuff.
And would this game REALLY be improved with a COD style story mode?

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
"Who is still playing Titanfall?"

*Raises hand*

What? It's a fun game! Sure, I'm not playing it 24/7, but it still gets a dusting off every couple of weeks...

Evolve, on the other hand... Yeah, I might give that a miss.

Jan 12, 2012
@Thanatos2k I wish there was a way to check how many people are still playing Titanfall; I can see threads where people say "nobody's playing the game anymore" but no hard data.

But I'm not sure I buy the argument that the game being multiplayer only and likely to have only a small community within a few months means that it's not worth full price. I buy plenty of single-player games, play them once to experience the story, then never touch them again; it doesn't mean the game is bad, just that I'm done with it. People complain about the number of hours you can get out a campaign, but how many hours does the average person put into Evolve? You don't get a big satisfying ending, but you do get fun for as long as the community supports it (provided you don't have a problem with playing as 4/5ths of the characters).

@Lono Shrugged (Quote function is broken) Right, because this:
Lots of love guys and best of luck to you all. I am out of this hateful, badly edited den of negativity that I see developing. Maybe someday the seed of good times and intelligent discourse will grow on another site and I will see you all there.
is a strong statement of support for the mods and staff of the Escapist, as well as the people who still use it. It's easy to say, "Oh, those people who left were so brave and wonderful, they were the ones who were holding the site together," and a lot harder to quietly admit that you just don't like a website anymore and leave. If your post was at all related to the Evolve ZP, it would be one thing, but it's as if you typed up your dramatic leaving speech and were poised to post it as soon as you could in a thread that people would visit, and did so without even watching the video.

If you want to stay, stay; I'd be happy to have more people around. If you want to go, go. If you want to be banned, PM a mod (though it's fairly pointless, as all your posts will still be here, they can't delete profiles). But don't act like your post was anything more than a chance to hop up on a soapbox one last time, to try and raise one more argument and derail one more thread with discussion about the Escapist dying (because people are plenty vocal about that already) and condolences for your loss. I've seen you post before, and you're better than that.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Silentpony said:
I basically played Evolve years ago, except it went by the name Left 4 Dead 2 survival mode, with mods. Seriously. Throw in a few aliens for the special zombies, a few new weapon skins and replace the survivors with your favorite characters from Mass Effect and its the same damn game!
With just one monster who has one life, wouldn't it be a bit different? After all, the humans are the predators, not the survivors, this time. Do you mean it feels like playing the same game, like how the combat in Shadow of Morodor felt just like the combat in Arkham Asylum?

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
I've played some "familiar" mods for half-life 1 in my days.
Stop me if you've heard of them.

Natural Selection
Team Fortress
Counter-Strike (pre-1.6 I think..before Steam that is)

Oooh, and that matrix style slow-mo action one..yeah..that one. What a blast.

Anyway, there are probably a few more relevant ones I missed.
---
Putting away my colored glasses, I do have to completely agree about singleplayer.
I'm a singleplayer kind of guy, playing singleplayer by myself and preferring a solid singleplayer with multiplayer as bonus.
Otherwise I'd be playing some form of MMO or other.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Hmm.
Here's a thought experiment: How long it would take for Evolve or any other game like it to become routine and droll if there wasn't any level grind?

EDIT: Since people seem to keep mistaking my little quip to include ALL multiplayer action games (my fault, I admit), I'll be more specific.

"How long would it take for grindy-action games like Evolve to become droll without the grind to keep them busy?"

The fact that there are match-based multiplayer games that remain interesting for a very long time without mandating grind-mechanics suggests that taking that particular game design shortcut isn't such a good idea.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
So, are monsters just really OP, or was Yahtzee actually good for once?

GaltarDude1138

Jan 19, 2011
I still play Titanfall.

But Yahtzee's right, there's not a ton of people playing compared to launch. Which is a shame, because it's super fun. It's on sale on Amazon for like $6 for the base game right now.

I think sooner rather than later Evolve will also be heavily discounted, not because it's multiplayer only, but because of all the DLC everyone says the game packs in. The publisher can just lower the cost and make back their money with the DLC on offer.