Zero Punctuation: Evolve - One vs Multiplayer

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Evonisia said:
I remember the custom mode "Fat Kid", a hybrid of Juggernaut and Infection in Halo 3, and it was amazing. I was so disappointed that you can't play it properly in Halo: Reach.
Oh yeah, I remember that. I saw a Halo 3 youtube video once of a whole bunch of people playing it. Was pretty funny.

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
Ok - I won't be looking at birthday cake in the same way for quite a while thank you very much...

angel85

Dec 31, 2008
I work in a toysrus as the R-zone guy, so I spend my day surrounded by video games. A couple days ago during a slow period me and a co-worker went through the playstation and xbox games to see if we could find any games with multiplayer content. We found that almost all of them did, indeed the majority of them had it as the primary feature, BUT with the exception of some of the sport and lego games nearly all of them only had ONLINE multiplayer! That means you can't play the game multiplayer with your friend on the couch next to you, only with people online. It leads me to wonder what Sony and Microsoft think of gamers, do they assume we're a bunch of reclusive shut-ins who only interact with people online and not face to face? Plus my internet speed isn't fast enough to play games online in real time, nor could I get faster internet because my building doesn't have the infrastructure needed for higher bandwidth, so I'm pretty much excluded from these multiplayer games entirely even if I WANTED to play them. Of course I can understand that, the AAA gaming industry holding contempt towards poor people who can't afford high speed internet and therefore probably can't buy their $400 console makes perfect sense, but why do they assume we don't have any friends?

josh4president

Mar 24, 2010
So what's the sequel going to be called?

I'm hoping for a Shinji Mikami-helmed title dubbed rEVOLVEr Ocelot where the monster makes those cat noises he made in MGS3.

Prankman

Aug 26, 2010
I don't get why the lack of level progression once you max out is used as a downside when games like Counter-Strike have gotten along just fine without the need to shove fake, meaningless levels in your face in order to be interesting.

But then, I don't get the arguments about a clearly multiplayer game lacking a single player game. Might as well say that Wolfenstein: The New Order wasn't worth full price because it had no multiplayer, and therefore wasn't "complete".

Single player campaign doesn't equal content, and its inclusion is not necessary to be worth full price.

Dec 10, 2012
I've just recently begun immersing myself in the work of H.P. Lovecraft, and 24 hours ago would not have appreciated the mention of Nyarlathotep. It's pretty cool stuff. In fact, I should go back and watch all the ZPs again. He seems to reference Lovecraftian mythology all the time.

...Umm, Evolve looks dumb. Yes, that will do.

Eilanyan

Feb 25, 2015
Yes because nothing says sustainable fun and closure like being lost in Bioshock 1 like its Vault 101 (only in 2007) for 3 hours to get to the end and wonder why a bad N64 boss has appeared. Or the slow march towards nothingness that was Bioshock 2's ending (the only impact is how screwed up the girl I didn't care about was) and more dastardly of all was Bioshock Infinite "it was 5 hours be we stretched it to 9 hours and ending on a walking sim so you couldn't say it was overpriced". At least my $5 (which I paid around for the prior three games, $2.50 each for 1,2 and $7.50 for Infinite with Pass) for Titanfall got my 50 hours of actual "fun".

el_emmens

Mar 23, 2009
So the entire first minute of the video was yahtzee's typical spiel about how multiplayer games are the bane of the mediums existence...again.

Also Yahtzee, not that you're reading but I'm to lazy to word it out like I'm speaking to an audice. I'm pretty sure these games keep happening because as far as game publishers are concerned as long as they're making money that's all the reason they need to do half the things they do. It's up to the Game Developers to figure out what is and what isn't working in their games, and their job to either fix what doesn't work or stop doing it entirely. And honestly I don't think any developer has the foresight to know just how long their games going to continue to keep players.

Aerotrain

Sep 7, 2014
As soon as I saw Evolve in the title I knew I was in for a treat. I did not leave disappointed.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I can only play two MP games CS:GO and occasionally TF2. Both games aren't about grinding for equipment. They're just fun on their own. L4D2 isn't about grinding, and I tried getting into it because I got it for free but it was too boring. There's nothing of interest there. It's just a painfully boring zombie game. Evolve looks like it's even more boring. I don't even know how do people stay interested in so many MP games that are out there. And the biggest problem is that these games won't last forever. Single player games are designed to provide you with a fun gaming experience without having to rely on other people and online servers. Just give me a good SP, preferably with a good story and I'm all set. And I can play it over and over again until I die basically. Like all the books and movies that I own.

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
Aerith said:
Sounds about right. If there's nothing to be gained anymore, my interest in multiplayer fades away like it was forgotten by Leonard Church. Once I got all the good weapons in Modern Warfare 3, for example, it didn't take me long to fudge off to greener pastures. Same goes for Uncharted 3, really. So, an entire game based around this model is beyond insane. The only MP game like Evolve that ever fancied me for a long, long while was Counter-Strike. And, let's be honest, Evolve is nowhere near the same level as Counter-Strike.
Yep.

Weirdly enough the one multiplier game I really got into was Assassin's Creed Revelations. The aesthetic was great and you actually unlocked a sparse though effective story as you leveled up. As soon as I hit max level, the game was like "now you can prestige several times to unlock all the hats and stuff!", but I had reached the end of the story, which was what was most interesting to me; I was done and never played it again.

Aerith

Feb 25, 2015
remnant_phoenix said:
Aerith said:
Sounds about right. If there's nothing to be gained anymore, my interest in multiplayer fades away like it was forgotten by Leonard Church. Once I got all the good weapons in Modern Warfare 3, for example, it didn't take me long to fudge off to greener pastures. Same goes for Uncharted 3, really. So, an entire game based around this model is beyond insane. The only MP game like Evolve that ever fancied me for a long, long while was Counter-Strike. And, let's be honest, Evolve is nowhere near the same level as Counter-Strike.
Yep.

Weirdly enough the one multiplier game I really got into was Assassin's Creed Revelations. The aesthetic was great and you actually unlocked a sparse though effective story as you leveled up. As soon as I hit max level, the game was like "now you can prestige several times to unlock all the hats and stuff!", but I had reached the end of the story, which was what was most interesting to me; I was done and never played it again.
The only AC multiplayer mode I have much interest in is Assassination (or whatever it's called). No targets, you pick em, you kill em. It's everything AC should be and it's just fun to do.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
Yahtzee hit the nail on the head with out going on a rant like Jim needed to. A hundred bucks of DLC... On bloody freaking launch.

I've gotten away from the Multi-player options more and more, because the most fun thing about MP is having a group of buddies you can chat with while screwing around, and not caring about the objectives. At least in basically any CS style or modern MP...

The only games that ever did Multi-Player right as a pure concept were Tribes, and Tribes 2. Because you had the vehicles, before anyone else was doing them mind you, you also had jetpacks, before Titan Fall, and everyone doing their own thing still somehow managed to contribute to objectives. Then Tribes: Ascend happened and killed the franchise because Hi-rez had to give up to grind SMITE... But I Digress.

At least the Juggernaught style game can be fun when the monster is a really big threat. But I am not paying for a full game and then a ton of launch DLC just so I can have fun.

Prankman

Aug 26, 2010
KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime said:
Yahtzee hit the nail on the head with out going on a rant like Jim needed to. A hundred bucks of DLC... On bloody freaking launch.

I've gotten away from the Multi-player options more and more, because the most fun thing about MP is having a group of buddies you can chat with while screwing around, and not caring about the objectives. At least in basically any CS style or modern MP...

The only games that ever did Multi-Player right as a pure concept were Tribes, and Tribes 2. Because you had the vehicles, before anyone else was doing them mind you, you also had jetpacks, before Titan Fall, and everyone doing their own thing still somehow managed to contribute to objectives. Then Tribes: Ascend happened and killed the franchise because Hi-rez had to give up to grind SMITE... But I Digress.

At least the Juggernaught style game can be fun when the monster is a really big threat. But I am not paying for a full game and then a ton of launch DLC just so I can have fun.
Except he was 100% wrong about the DLC. There isn't $100 at launch, there's $60 worth of optional cosmetics and then the $25 Hunting Season pass, which is for content that isn't created yet. And if people are really going to carry on about day one cosmetics, they need to get a life and read up how game development works. Day One cosmetic DLC is completely and utterly fine, and it doesn't effect anybody at all.

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
It's true about what you said at the end with interest. Especially with MMOs.
Which is why in multi-player games you should try and enjoy and find satisfaction in the sessions of play you do.

Enjoy that match of DotA2.
Or enjoy running that raid in WoW.

Just don't end up farming for flowers and eventually one day decided to never log back in.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
While I'm no fan of Evolve (it can be fun to watch, but I have exactly 0 interest in actually playing it), I do think it's a mistake to call out multiplayer focused games as being lacking in long term appeal. Sure Evolve is looking to be TitanFall 2.0 in terms of it's staying power, but there are a ton of multiplayer focused games that are still being played and loved now by sizable communities. DOTA, LoL, Counterstrike, Starcraft, a whole whack of fighting games, etc. Heck, even MMOs could possibly be counted given how most of them rely on community and group activities for the veterans of the player base. Of course, none of that matters if you're not into multiplayer games but there's also a lot in those experiences you can't get in single player games so it's not black and white but instead what your preference is. In short, Evolve may be a multiplayer experience that grows stale quickly but that doesn't mean all multiplayer games do assuming you actually like them.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Quite possibly Yahtzee's funniest episode yet! I really liked that bit where he just blew up at the AAA publishers and brought up GDC. I hope that means he's going this year, because I sure am (again).

SNCommand

Aug 29, 2011
Interestingly enough Order 1886 was released not long after and it seemed to be its complete opposite in almost every way

And we're probably going to see a lot more akin to Evolve as it got a 78 in metacritic while Order 1886 got 66

And before anyone points out the ridicolousness of metacritic scores, yes, they are fairly asinine, but it seems game publishers these days use them as the primary quality gauge

Another interesting point though is that in user ratings the Order 1886 is better received by the public compared to the critics, while Evolve is the exact opposite