Zero Punctuation: Exclusives Showdown

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
LGC Pominator said:
Also, I may just be a complete idiot, but did this video actually make any reasonable observations that could inform buying habits or which console to buy, or was it just a rant about consoles?
Not from what I can tell. Watch his E3 2013 and his Next Gen Buyer's Guide video and you'll get pretty much the same message as this episode; fuck consoles and buy a PC.

Shaolen

Sep 13, 2007
This new gen has had the most lackluster launch ever. At least last gen we had Blue Ray to get excited over, and visuals that weren't on the PC for 3 months before they caught up. Now we have re-hashes, sequels with less content, pay walls, and unimaginative tech-demo crap.

The graphics aren't even that stellar, with sub 1080p visuals, and if they are in 1080p, its just a subtle lighting enhancement or some extra tessellation that PC's have enjoyed for a few years now.

And game play? It's basically the same crap we have had for the past 7 years or so. I'll just save my money till something interesting comes out, or when they figure out all the launch issues with the PS4/X-One.

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
geldonyetich said:
DeLukas said:
I swear I remember "The Glorious PC Gaming Master Race" was meant to ironic. However, it seem to have instead been one of those strange moments like when The Onion predicts the future.
I'd say it's less, "oh look, the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race actually happened" and more, "oh look, the next gen consoles committed suicide."

PC gamers aren't special, they're just not being dragged out back to where the poisoned Kool Aid is being served.
Pretty much this. It's not that PC gaming is so great, it's more that all the advantages console gaming used to have over PC gaming are being systematically stripped away.

Marik Bentusi

Aug 20, 2010
Personally I think "Glorious PC Gaming Master Race" is a joke with a bit of truth. It's always annoying when someone goes full arrogant fanboy mode, but the PC does generally offer a lot more features variety, games and raw horsepower, at the cost of difficult optimization and debugging because of all the possible rig combinations, and convenience since you need to download a lot of third party software (that may or may not conflict what you've already installed or require infrastructure you need to install beforehand) before your full feature suite is complete. And then you can worry about maintaining and updating everything.

Fundamentally I don't think there's much of a difference between console gamers and PC gamers tho.

Crimsonmonkeywar

Oct 27, 2013
Aardvaarkman said:
geldonyetich said:
I'd say it's less, "oh look, the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race actually happened" and more, "oh look, the next gen consoles committed suicide."
Well, that's certainly a logical conclusion to draw from the new consoles having record launch sales, while PC sales are continuing to decline. Sure.
Declining? Please do link me to your quote, because last I checked it was a multi-billion dollar platform with Steam alone reporting more concurrent users than consoles as well as an online userbase only surpassed by Sony, but please. Do show.

The games industry is healthy all around, interest just migrates.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
I have to say I'm impressed with Yahtzee, with the singing here and his GTA5 ludonarrative-blah-dee-blah poem, he's really pushing himself outside his comfort zone. It takes quite a bit of effort for introverted people to act in a showy manner.

I enjoyed this and I respect the effort that went into it.

Crimsonmonkeywar

Oct 27, 2013
Ulquiorra4sama said:
geldonyetich said:
PC gamers aren't special
You try telling them that. I realize most people who play on PC aren't complete fuckwits, but the ones who self-identify as PC gamers, and the ones who are vocal about it are probably part of the most annoying demographic within gaming today.

OT: Meh, i'm still not done with all the games i bought for my PS3 yet and what with the hardware issues seen around the PS4 that's probably a good thing. Didn't get the PS3 until well into its cycle and probably won't get a PS4 until next summer. Until then i've got my PS3 and laptop to carry me over. Oh, and that lovely 3DS too.
Most? really, I self identify as a PC gamer, because that's were I primarily play games. I also own a PSP, PS3, and DS, and I plan to get a WiiU(for monster hunter) and a Vita. I assure you your comment is as ignorant and bashful as the very people you proclaim to be against

'most', I don't understand how statements like these get made so often.

WhitbyDragon

Jul 15, 2013
I want Yahtzee to sing more, overlaying your own harmonies must be tricky. Loved this episode!

(would be PC master race but with my machine it's more like PC can occasionally run it if it's optimised well and has options I can reduce to the bottom)

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Roofstone said:
I liked how the numbers kept just overlapping. Seems so bloody lazy, I love it.
Because it really doesn't matter
At the end of the day PC has adaptability, consoles has not
So who cares which console won, they all lost after all
Now excuse me, I need to go and jerk off to watch that video again :D

Crimsonmonkeywar

Oct 27, 2013
WhitbyDragon said:
I want Yahtzee to sing more, overlaying your own harmonies must be tricky. Loved this episode!

(would be PC master race but with my machine it's more like PC can occasionally run it if it's optimised well and has options I can reduce to the bottom)
That's how my first 'gaming' PC was, a hand'me'down from a friend. Lets just say I got familiar with the "classics" real quick haha.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
Crimsonmonkeywar said:
Ulquiorra4sama said:
geldonyetich said:
PC gamers aren't special
You try telling them that. I realize most people who play on PC aren't complete fuckwits, but the ones who self-identify as PC gamers, and the ones who are vocal about it are probably part of the most annoying demographic within gaming today.

OT: Meh, i'm still not done with all the games i bought for my PS3 yet and what with the hardware issues seen around the PS4 that's probably a good thing. Didn't get the PS3 until well into its cycle and probably won't get a PS4 until next summer. Until then i've got my PS3 and laptop to carry me over. Oh, and that lovely 3DS too.
Most? really, I self identify as a PC gamer, because that's were I primarily play games. I also own a PSP, PS3, and DS, and I plan to get a WiiU(for monster hunter) and a Vita. I assure you your comment is as ignorant and bashful as the very people you proclaim to be against

'most', I don't understand how statements like these get made so often.
Most of them aren't was what i said. Negative. Meaning i am of the impression that the majority of people on PC are actually decent human beings. If you want to call that ignorant then by all means go ahead.

C14N

May 28, 2008
For some reason, I feel weirdly satisfied that the first Christmas game season to finally get the next generation truly started is also the worst Christmas game season in years. None of the 3 consoles yet have a big "must buy" game on them yet. Just look at the Metascores of the exclusives on each one. The X1 was banking on Dead Rising 3 (78), Killer Instinct (73) and Ryse (60) while the PS4 was going to give Killzone Shadow Fall (74) and Knack (56). Maybe this means the critics are starting to take their scores a little more seriously rather than handing out token 9s and 10s periodically. The Wii U has a little more going for it right now but Wind Waker is still just a re-release that I already own and Mario 3D Land looks like it's most of its value is in local multiplayer.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
At this point, the only reason I want a next-gen console is so I can play Destiny. And I'm getting really worried that Destiny isn't worth $460.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
klaynexas3 said:
xPixelatedx said:
If you'll excuse me, I'll go back to playing the best exclusive of the year: Super Mario 3D World.
The best exclusive of this year was clearly Fire Emblem: Awakening.
Well it was implied I meant out of the three consoles, that is what the video was about.

Silly people and their stationary gaming devices.
I love my 3DSXL, but I still prefer playing on my giant TV with surround-sound in my 'comfy as hell' waffle chair next to my minifridge.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Aardvaarkman said:
geldonyetich said:
Well, that's certainly a logical conclusion to draw from the new consoles having record launch sales, while PC sales are continuing to decline. Sure.
Given that PCs are used for far more than gaming, your comparison there is hogwash. PC sales have declined because many people who used pcs for light apps like social networking can now do so much more readily on mobile devices. People are buying more PCs than ever, it's just that many of those "PCs" are in the form of a "phone" or "tablet". With the massive boom in PC game sales, which is the actual metric we would use to track pc gaming growth or decline, it can hardly be said that pc gaming is declining.