Zero Punctuation: Exclusives Showdown

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
JoJo said:
Cool, a special. Not sure about the singing (don't give up your day job Yahtzee!) but I'm glad the PS4 won, so that's good.
I think the Doctor Who riff makes up for any lack of training or talent.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
So, PS4? I have a PC workstation that I refuse to download any games on, and I don't have the time to brag on the internet that I play on PC.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Crimsonmonkeywar said:
LGC Pominator said:
GoddyofAus said:
seeing as I put 500usd into a rig 3 years ago, have yet to up grade it, and have yet to feel then need to do so, allow me to call your comments tarters. It maybe be an annoying statement, but ignoring the 'exclusive' aspect of games. There is 'zero' that consoles have over PC's, even price point. Save the plug and play aspect, that is, if Steam OS, SteamMachines, and Mantle don't work.

This is coming from someone who spent 20+ years before that only on consoles. I do want a WiiU, but as of this moment everything is done better on the PC, MS and Sony need that killer AP that's going to force PC gamers to buy one....GTA5 got a lot of PC gamers to temporary migrate to consoles and then stay for the exclusives they missed to keep them playing even longer.

That has nothing to do with snootiness, its a fact. Consoles have plug and play and your friends, but what sells them are exclusives. Trust me when I say that going from 1080p, 60fps, AA, SSAO, GL, Steam, and the multitask and modability ability games and the OS, and a whole bunch more. Is not something you want to give up unless it's a damn good reason.

Keep in mind that your rig that you haven't had to upgrade in 3 years doesn't seem very impressive when compared to the last console generation's 7+ year lifespan.

There's quite a bit to be said about the consumer's comfort and perception of the products they use. Your list of 1080p, 60fps, AA, SSAO and GL goes from something the average consumer knows and understands(though limited, 1080p means squat to a lot of people but they know it's better than 480, 720 etc.. the more 'p' the better) to areas where people have no understanding of and feel the bar for learning is too high.

Both PCs and the consoles are complex machines but consoles have a far more restricted environment with what you can do with it. This works to it's benefit because it requires so little for the consumer to understand as well as creates the perception that little can go wrong with the machine. It seems odd but there are many people that absolutely hate looking at system requirements and feel it's an unnecessary hassle when they want to play a new game.

The barrier of entry to understand enough hardware and software lingo isn't as high as most imagine it to be but their absolute belief that it's an impenetrable miasma of complicated tech speak has defeated them before any attempt has been made.

Oh, and just to cover this, I know consoles have many problems themselves and are starting to inherit a few from PC (updates) but I'm focusing on public perception.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
While I have nothing against PC gaming and those that choose to PC game (though I admit I do hate those whole spouting nonsense of "glorious PC Master race" being used in an unironic manner) there are just a handful of reasons why I personally do not really enjoy it.

1. Neither my desktop nor my laptop run games very well. I have to put them down on the lowest graphical settings and even then I'm simply hoping it won't start lagging up at an inopportune time or I won't end up being scared shitless by some Java update interrupting me during an intense sequence. Yes I know I could simply buy graphics cards and ram and other such things to update my PC but I don't have the money, time, or knowledge to mess with that.

2. ...I do pretty much everything else in my life on my PC, and gaming is basically one of my few hobbies to more or less escape the screen of my computer. I do my homework on the computer, I do my work work on the computer, and I watch videos, post on forums and look at funny pictures on the internet...yes, on my computer. So I just can't think of a reason to continue computer usage into gaming.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011

Frankly I'll take the cheaper games and more freedom over fragile, underpowered hardware that's barely capable of running modern games in 2013 for the next 10 cocking years.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
AdagioBoognish said:
xPixelatedx said:
If you'll excuse me, I'll go back to playing the best exclusive of the year: Super Mario 3D World.

Yeah, if you are going by games currently out, there isn't a reason to get either a PS4 or a Xbox One. That said, I suffered a great deal with the PS3 because I waited to get one. I waited till MGS4 came out, and that was the biggest mistake I could have made, because that turned out to be when everyone else wanted a PS3. They were sold out everywhere, and I had to wait a while to play the game I already bought. That pissed me off because PS3s weren't selling at all before that point, in fact I never not saw one when I went to a store. Should have gotten a PS3 when they were available if I was going to buy one anyway... So yeah, I already have my PS4. Not going through that shit again. Plus I hate the slim models of everything that eventually come out later. I want the originals on my shelf, I will settle for nothing else.
I love that Nintendo fans got a good game they can wave around. It's been awhile since I've heard Wii fans this excited about anything.
I prefer people being excited about a good game they can enjoy than people debating about which mediocre game they should buy and which console should screw them over.

The shine that the Ps4 and xbox one is anything other than a marginal improvement over the last gen will start to sink in soon and all the DLC, season passes, monthly subscriptions, and microtransactions will not make it any better.

I just care about playing good games and right now the WiiU has quite a few.

Crimsonmonkeywar

Oct 27, 2013
Ulquiorra4sama said:
Crimsonmonkeywar said:
Ulquiorra4sama said:
geldonyetich said:
PC gamers aren't special
You try telling them that. I realize most people who play on PC aren't complete fuckwits, but the ones who self-identify as PC gamers, and the ones who are vocal about it are probably part of the most annoying demographic within gaming today.

OT: Meh, i'm still not done with all the games i bought for my PS3 yet and what with the hardware issues seen around the PS4 that's probably a good thing. Didn't get the PS3 until well into its cycle and probably won't get a PS4 until next summer. Until then i've got my PS3 and laptop to carry me over. Oh, and that lovely 3DS too.
Most? really, I self identify as a PC gamer, because that's were I primarily play games. I also own a PSP, PS3, and DS, and I plan to get a WiiU(for monster hunter) and a Vita. I assure you your comment is as ignorant and bashful as the very people you proclaim to be against

'most', I don't understand how statements like these get made so often.
Most of them aren't was what i said. Negative. Meaning i am of the impression that the majority of people on PC are actually decent human beings. If you want to call that ignorant then by all means go ahead.
Then I've misread you and I shall retract my statement. I apologize.

proghead

Apr 17, 2010
Shjade said:
geldonyetich said:
It's not that PC gaming is so great, it's more that all the advantages console gaming used to have over PC gaming are being systematically stripped away.
Right, and coming from both sides. The PC has become more plug'n'play (easy HDMI connection with TVs and generally less troublesome (drivers) as before, Steam Big Picture), while the consoles got more inconvenient (enormous patch downloads, need to install before playing, requiring bigger hard disks over time, paid-for online play).

@Crimsonmonkeywar: What's "GL" supposed to mean?

TurkeyProphet

Aug 18, 2009
The PC is pretty much as bad as consoles for spewing up rehashed garbage and possibly even worse for sequels. I'd consider myself to be PC master race if that meant more than "I have a laptop that can play indie games" which is decidedly less sexy seeing as that's most people.

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
Oh boy. Yahtzee had dropped a subtle hint earlier that he was leaning towards PC gaming, but it was buried in one of this long Extra Punctuation articles.
However in this one he's literally tooting that from the fucking rooftops. As much as a PC nerd like can appreciate that, he's probably going to get some shit for it :S

themilo504

May 9, 2010
I was expecting the final joke to be: and then the sun crashes and you have to Google which part of your computer caused the crash and how to fix it.

I love pc gaming but the hours I spend getting certain games to work makes me wonder or I should get a ps4 or xbox one.

Omnicrom

Jun 26, 2012
So Yahtzee is going to release a vocal music album right? I mean that's what I got out of this review.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Welp, you and me, Playstation 2. You have been a steadfast companion for many years, and hopefully many years to come.

That is, until it becomes incompatible with the telly, or the Tech Geeks take over the nation and enforce laws against owning and using obsolete technology.

WhitbyDragon said:
I want Yahtzee to sing more, overlaying your own harmonies must be tricky. Loved this episode!

(would be PC master race but with my machine it's more like PC can occasionally run it if it's optimised well and has options I can reduce to the bottom)
Hear, hear. Mine is a strange machine I know little about and try to keep in working order by strange rites and incantations those Initiated suggest to me.

It does work, though, I must be doing something right to appease the spirits within.

Crimsonmonkeywar

Oct 27, 2013
-Dragmire- said:
Keep in mind that your rig that you haven't had to upgrade in 3 years doesn't seem very impressive when compared to the last console generation's 7+ year lifespan.

There's quite a bit to be said about the consumer's comfort and perception of the products they use. Your list of 1080p, 60fps, AA, SSAO and GL goes from something the average consumer knows and understands(though limited, 1080p means squat to a lot of people but they know it's better than 480, 720 etc.. the more 'p' the better) to areas where people have no understanding of and feel the bar for learning is too high.

Both PCs and the consoles are complex machines but consoles have a far more restricted environment with what you can do with it. This works to it's benefit because it requires so little for the consumer to understand as well as creates the perception that little can go wrong with the machine. It seems odd but there are many people that absolutely hate looking at system requirements and feel it's an unnecessary hassle when they want to play a new game.

The barrier of entry to understand enough hardware and software lingo isn't as high as most imagine it to be but their absolute belief that it's an impenetrable miasma of complicated tech speak has defeated them before any attempt has been made.

Oh, and just to cover this, I know consoles have many problems themselves and are starting to inherit a few from PC (updates) but I'm focusing on public perception.
It's not(incredibly low end now), but my point is the whole "2500usd every 6mon basement dwellers" is like calling all console gamers children. I can dump in another 400-500(I rather wait till next year) and my rig is back on top, backwards compatibility and all, and as computers(even tablets and smart phones) expand, evolve, the gap will only increase again. That was the point I was try to make in terms of power.

The other point, which I failed to clarify, was the fact that computer parts are a essentially Lego's now, and SteamMachines and OS are out to make that even simpler.

I do agree with you on terminology, but it's also something you can see, especially in person. PC gamers have always claimed that you need to see it in person because screen shots and videos don't do it justice. The same is starting to be discovered with console gamers and the next generation of consoles. In person, though you might not know the terms, it becomes instantly apparent.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Crimsonmonkeywar said:
Most? really, I self identify as a PC gamer, because that's were I primarily play games.
Ignoring his actual explanation, holding yourself (or any individual) up to disprove a trend is a notoriously bad way of doing it. I mean, I can find Kuwait on a map with no effort (or country names), but that doesn't disprove the notion that Americans are bad at geography (just because I am an American, and at least moderately versed on the subject).