Zero Punctuation: Exclusives Showdown

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
It is threads like this that make me hate humanity a little more every day...

Biggest reason I would never want to call myself a PC Gamer, even though I have a pretty sweet rig: because of the people in this thread.
I don't like the PC Gamer name as well but it's the acronym that does it for me. I've heard the PC acronym so much over the years that I hear the other versions of it before Personal Computer. It probably is also due to, when speaking, I never say PC, it's always just computer.

What crosses my mind when I hear PC Gamer...

(P)resident's (C)hoice Gamer.
(P)rogressive (C)onservative Gamer.

It's more lengthy but I usually say I'm a gamer that primarily plays on PC[small](computer)[/small] when asked what platform I identify with. It also feels less loaded due to it not sounding like a title meant to exclude other options.

Rodolphe Kourkenko

Dec 10, 2012
I'm a pc player. I own some consoles (Super Famicom, Game Cube and PS2) but this gen isn't for me.
In first, the exclusives titles are weak and bland (and Dead Rising is just a timed exclusive, nothing more).

I'll never buy one of these two consoles just because i want to be free... I don't want to sign terms that allow a company to record everything about my family or ban me if I use insults in a private call.
I do not want to depend on a single company (Microsoft or Sony), i want to choose my game provider (Gog in first, Steam in second), my components provider, i don't want to have a paywall to have multiplayer and so on.

For the rig's price, my PC is five years old, i changed only my graphic card one time and i can run every game at full (even TW2) because i made it myself with choosen components for 500$. 660 if i count the new GC.
So, when i see this new gen...

I just want to be free... And consoles don't permit that.

Kyle Davis

Apr 23, 2010
We get it Yahtzee! Your a PC gamer. I would ask why your even bothering with consoles if you hate them but then I remembered you said it was your job.

Crimsonmonkeywar

Oct 27, 2013
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
Someone instigates a fight, but you ignore the instigator. Both quotes are correct at their core, but I will agree, they are extremely arrogant, also the second does not claim to be a PC gamer, simply saying that buying consoles before the heavy hitters are released is silly(although he over steps his boundaries with the first remark and the tone at which he states it). Either way, I'll give you those

Oh, and please do quote me. Everything I stated was either factual or subjective and labeled as such, and when subjective I leveled both sides. Even corrected an incorrect statement I made due to me misreading it.

So please, do pull out these quotes I made. I eagerly await.... Or. Did you blindly pick out what you thought pleasing, instantly seeing anything that wasn't a backhanded remark toward PC gaming as "PC elitism", as such, but you're a 'PC gamer' so that can't be the case and even then, that would be a very brash and 'arrogant' statement for me to make.

Also, I'd like to see these other comments from other users you're referring to. I can show far more comments from the other end. If anything both sides should disgust you then, unless you have selective reading, or simply missed them altogether.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
Facts:
PCs has games.
Wii U has games
Xbox One has games
PS4 has games.
Phones have games.
Tablets have games

All of these systems have games, we can agree on that, no? Playing any of said games makes one a "gamer" by the broadest definition of the term. The problem is opinions of said systems and games. That is where the conflicts arise. Criticism isn't something many people take well. Be it choices they've made or beliefs. Add to that the need, if not desire, to be the best at anything and we have what many call "fanboyism". Everyone wants to be on the winning team, even if just a fan. There are dog fights over who is better and who is worse constantly erupting over the smallest comment. We are imperfect creatures and so are our consoles. Their faults don't reflect poorly on us, but on the company that made them. All of the above listed systems have had, and will continue to have, problems. It's all relative. Good game? Bad game? Not everyone will agree. I do recall even Yathzee making a video about people who do an impossible amount of mental gymnastics to be reassured by their choice. You don't need to defend Nintendo, nor Xbox, not even Sony's products. Love them? Fine. Tell us why you love it. Rejecting any type of negative feedback is fool-hearty. Insult someone's lifestyle since they don't agree isn't right. Will they, the companies, do the same for you? It's unlikely they will reward your loyalty. At best maybe a general mass produced "Thank you" that everyone gets for subscribing for their services. You are a customer and nothing more. A contributor to their bottom line. You are not their friend. At this rate consoles may soon join the list of taboo topics for conversation; religion, politics, and sports.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Heh, liked the singing. Also, PCs rule. Also, FTL is getting an expansion. A free one. Consoles, you can bugger off ^^

Crimsonmonkeywar

Oct 27, 2013
-Dragmire- said:
Apologies, I was quoting you in a vacuum, without reading the context derived from the person you were quoting(his argument seemed like flamebait to me).

Side note: I do most of my gaming on PC as well and I understand your viewpoint however, I'm presenting a viewpoint from the perspective of a person who has no interest in technology itself, but merely in the media that the technology provides. I feel this is an extremely common viewpoint and that understanding it will help us to be more inviting to people who are misinformed and base judgment on the platform on stereotypes.

To clarify the point I was making about perception and whatnot...

Backwards compatibility and multitude of other uses PCs have is lost in this comparison but, people being as they are, will focus on comparing the ability to play new releases.

This is a cheap shot said:
If you put $400-500 more on your system, you've then spent $900-1000 on it which people will jump on and complain about the expense. You've now spent more than a launch PS3 in order to keep up.

Also, I was not trying to downplay the merits of the PC platform, I was just trying to explain how public perception of the platform has created exaggerated barriers that people can't overcome because they've convinced themselves they couldn't succeed in the first place.

So upgrading is great for us but the very idea of opening up the PC case scares many people who convince themselves that the'll likely break something if they tried to upgrade the system themselves. The actual difficulty is irrelevant and these people merely find it easier to buy a console that will play all games made for that system, guaranteed.

We are getting to a point where consoles are actually teaching people PC concepts that can potentially start easing people's worries over the platform(people have grudgingly accepted that they need software updates from time to time and bugs/glitches are a 'gaming' thing rather than a 'PC' thing). As digital gaming becomes more prevalent in the console market, we'll see a push for hard drive upgrades that will have to be physically installed. Though, on the other hand, many will probably pay someone else to install it rather than do it themselves, sadly.
No worries, I did the same in another post.

To your point, I agree. Personally I think that if SteamMachines don't take of, traditional consoles and gaming PC are going to go the way of the dodo. As I've stated(more times than I should have haha). It's about the games and where your friends are. The tech helps, but I think that eventually Tablets and Phones will catch up to both and put each side on the same level playing field. Especially if the components are modable.

Even then, I believe those will eventually be replaced by streaming. If the traditional games industry can last to that point. Users want simplicity, and as the point of diminishing returns increase with graphics and ai, and all types of games move to that space. PC gamers will ease into the fold as well.

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
geldonyetich said:
Aardvaarkman said:
geldonyetich said:
I'd say it's less, "oh look, the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race actually happened" and more, "oh look, the next gen consoles committed suicide."
Well, that's certainly a logical conclusion to draw from the new consoles having record launch sales, while PC sales are declining. Sure.
If you're content with a product so long as someone's making money, I've got a lovely bridge to sell you.
Did you even read my post? It was not about the quality of the consoles it was in response to the comment that this generation of consoles has "committed suicide" - and record sales would be a weird indication of the death of consoles and the victory of the PC.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Rodolphe Kourkenko said:
I'm a pc player. I own some consoles (Super Famicom, Game Cube and PS2) but this gen isn't for me.
In first, the exclusives titles are weak and bland (and Dead Rising is just a timed exclusive, nothing more).
Dead Rising 3 was funded entirely by Microsoft so no, it's not. At this rate it wouldn't surprise me if MS funded future instalments to the series, too.

J.McMillen

Sep 11, 2008
DeLukas said:
I swear I remember "The Glorious PC Gaming Master Race" was meant to ironic. However, it seem to have instead been one of those strange moments like when The Onion predicts the future.
I just want to know when they are going to release a 'Zero Punctuation' "The Glorious PC Gaming Master Race" t-shirt.

Aardvaarkman

Jul 14, 2011
Crimsonmonkeywar said:
Aardvaarkman said:
Well, that's certainly a logical conclusion to draw from the new consoles having record launch sales, while PC sales are continuing to decline. Sure.
Declining? Please do link me to your quote, because last I checked it was a multi-billion dollar platform with Steam alone reporting more concurrent users than consoles as well as an online userbase only surpassed by Sony, but please. Do show.
Here you go:

http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS24065413

What about "PC Sales are declining" is not true? Just because it's a multi-billion dollar industry does not mean it isn't in decline. The Roman Empire was once the most powerful on Earth - that didn't stop it from falling.

I'm not saying it from any kind of bias - these are just the facts - console sales are increasing, while PC sales are decreasing. There's no getting around that. Yet, for some reason people around here aren't aware of these facts and keep declaring consoles dead, when it just isn't true.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
LordTerminal said:
Evonisia said:
Rodolphe Kourkenko said:
Dead Rising 3 was funded entirely by Microsoft so no, it's not. At this rate it wouldn't surprise me if MS funded future instalments to the series, too.
Wait so you're telling me they can fund a 3rd installment of a Capcom game but they can't be bothered to give Double-Helix the money or extra staff members needed to not pull this "free to play" BS with Killer Instinct? Yeah I think I can say Microsoft is garbage now.

I don't want to wait until March and pay a microtransaction to play as my old main Fulgore, Microsoft and I wouldn't have to if you went to a bigger company than Double-Helix in the first place.
Yeah publishers lie through their teeth about their money 'woes'. It's really annoying. That or MS has so much faith in Dead Rising to carry their console that they've diverted their money to it.

Aardvaarkman

Jul 14, 2011
Gorrath said:
Given that PCs are used for far more than gaming, your comparison there is hogwash. PC sales have declined because many people who used pcs for light apps like social networking can now do so much more readily on mobile devices. People are buying more PCs than ever, it's just that many of those "PCs" are in the form of a "phone" or "tablet". With the massive boom in PC game sales, which is the actual metric we would use to track pc gaming growth or decline, it can hardly be said that pc gaming is declining.
Speaking of hogwash - a tablet or a phone is not what people are referring to when they say "PC" - especially in the context of gaming. We're talking about desktop and laptop PCs here - and that's what the industry statistics are referring to.

The simple fact is that the phones and tablets do not run the games that people are talking about when referring to gaming and the "PC Master Race." Do you really believe that the people here proclaiming the superiority of the PC as a gaming platform are referring to Android or iOS devices?

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
Aardvaarkman said:
Here you go:

http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS24065413

What about "PC Sales are declining" is not true? Just because it's a multi-billion dollar industry does not mean it isn't in decline. The Roman Empire was once the most powerful on Earth - that didn't stop it from falling.
To be fair, just because PC sales are dropping doesn't mean PC gaming is dying.

The reason PC sales are in decline are because non-gamers are moving to tablet devices which fit their needs better. PC as a gaming platform is actually rising. The total number of Steam accounts grew by 30% up to 65 million this year, and doesn't show any sign of slowing.

Of course this doesn't mean consoles are dead, sales all-around are going up as gaming is becoming more mainstream and there are more customers in general. Which is good for all of us.

MegaManOfNumbers

Mar 3, 2010
First: Yahtzee, you have the harmonizing voice of an angel.

Second: I'm honestly surprised he didn't make a Wii U joke.

Aardvaarkman

Jul 14, 2011
ResonanceSD said:
Aardvaarkman said:
geldonyetich said:
I'd say it's less, "oh look, the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race actually happened" and more, "oh look, the next gen consoles committed suicide."
Well, that's certainly a logical conclusion to draw from the new consoles having record launch sales, while PC sales are continuing to decline. Sure.
Sure. http://apcmag.com/10-reasons-why-the-pc-isnt-dying.htm
So, how does that article (which is an opinion piece, not based on hard data) - show that this generation of consoles has "committed suicide"? That's the argument I was responding to. I never said that PCs were going away - I was simply stating that the data so far shows that consoles haven't suddenly gone away with this generation.

I'm really not sure what causes people to make these twisted arguments with no basis in reality.

Rodolphe Kourkenko

Dec 10, 2012
Evonisia said:
Ok i was wrong, thank for rectify me, i read somewhere that it was a timed exclusive and my interest in this game is sooo big that i never checked it later ^^.

So: I'll check next time.

To come back on topic, i'm not even planning to buy a PS4 or an X1 but, seeing everything from the outside, like Yahtzee, i would be more interested in a PS4. Just because it's less restrictive and since i swear a lot when i play online, i would be banned faster than the light speed ^^.