Zero Punctuation: Exclusives Showdown

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
randomthefox said:
Look at all the sniveling fanboys butt hurt about the PC master race thing. It's like if something isn't said with complete dripping sarcasm then it couldn't possibly be meant as a joke. Lord help you people if you ever decide to read Hitchhikers Guide To the Galaxy, you'll probably end up taking it so seriously your entire body will follow your head as it recedes up your ass and then you'll pop out of existence.

I can't help but think of a metaphor at a time like this. It's like people on the Titanic sneering at the folks who claim that the life boats are a better alternative to staying on the bigger ship. Yes those life boats might be smaller and you'll have to row them yourself, and we sure did stick our noses up at them once before, but now we shall indeed sing their praises because they are the only safe way to go compared to the alternative of sinking into the frozen depths of the atlantic. But no, keep sneering, folks, saying we're so smug and douchebaggy for wanting to not die, call us the "life saving little boat master race", a phrase we might have joined in saying with just as much condescension, but I imagine it shall be hard to judge when you're sinking into the depths (of mediocrity and being taken advantage of as a consumer) while we float away above water watching you flail and try to convince us it's not actually all that bad when you've already been reduced to an icicle.

I'll just be here playing Recettear [http://www.carpefulgur.com/recettear/], the greatest game ever made in the history of ever. Enjoy Knack, I'm sure you wont get bored with it inside of a month and find there's nothing else to do with your expensive brick of a console.
You know it would make your argument against people being 'butt-hurt' much more effective if you didn't go on a rant about how consoles are the bane of the gaming industry and how PC is gaming's salvation. Or that console fans should keep calling PC Gamers smug when the next sentence is bragging about how amazing PC gaming is.

Unless you're just going to say "but sarcasm" on that.

prpshrt

Jun 18, 2012
Boy am I happy I saved up for a mid-high end PC while I jealously stared at what I used to think were pretty graphics on the PS3 and xbox 360.

let's rock

Jun 15, 2011
knox140 said:
Still can't afford a PC, as much as I'd like one. I had to save for a long time to buy a PS4, just because I want to play new releases and eventually they'll stop being made for current gen. I wish PC gamers would understand that most console gamers ACKNOWLEDGE that PC is a better way to play games, but just can't afford to pay twice as much for one than a console, and spare us the elitism. Whenever people start criticising me on my choice of platform and chanting "PC MASTER RACE" at me, it essentially boils down to them saying "look at what I can afford and you can't. Now I'm going to make you feel inferior because of the disposable income you don't have".
A pc that costs just as much as a console is going to be more powerful, see this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f6INgYBmGo

samwd

Sep 14, 2012
Im actually wanting to get a WiiU since that seems like the fun kind of console anyone in my family could play on their own or together, but Ps4 and Xbone, obviously having local multiplayer and social shit going on, are mostly played by people by themselves, mostly, which is no different to PC basically.

So other than the social aspect, I cant imagine consoles being all that big of a deal other than the exclusives they have.

But fuck it, im getting a sword for christmas.

n00beffect

May 8, 2009
Ha! I loved this review! It was so funny, and so akin to the slightly older style you used to do them in (you know more bitter and cynical, and less forgiving and 'open-minded'). Good show! Oh, also - PC (Laptop actually), kthx.

Psychotic

Apr 3, 2009
GoddyofAus said:
This PC master race stuff has really stopped being funny and has begun looking like crass bitterness. I intend to be a PC4 gamer this generation (PC + PS4), so I can happily have the best of both worlds.
I'm not sure you know who you're watching. Yahtzee is crass and bitter, just like he has always been.

Also it's pretty clear he's still being sarcastic about the whole thing but really, he has a point. The only upside to a console was the convenience of putting it in your lounge when you couldn't do it with a PC but now you can, and consoles haven't really given us much to compensate.

doomed89

May 5, 2009
slysean said:
To be fair I can't think of a single exclusive I want. I loved Infamous as a series, but I can't imagine how they are going to actually design a third game since the second one did completely end, no matter the ending you picked. So I can't help but get a Bioshock 2 flashback.
Isn't it obviously evil ending, war between conduits and non-conduits raging into the second generation.

C14N

May 28, 2008
ArkhamJester said:
Playing through the game and trust me, multiplayuer isn't its best quality. Its the levels and my brother/sister? (I can't tell) a retail game that can boast level design as its best qualit yis a truly rare beast these days.
Oh well that's good. A Wii U is starting to look like my first choice of next-gen console to get anyway so if I do get one I'll be sure to pick it up.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
It is threads like this that make me hate humanity a little more every day...

Biggest reason I would never want to call myself a PC Gamer, even though I have a pretty sweet rig: because of the people in this thread.
You're not the only one, I feel like I just walked into a thread from /V/ without the swears but more of the arrogance and dislike for consoles.

All I could do by the time I reached page 5 was just sigh because I knew this was going to happen eventually, the Escapist has always been like this with part of it's community shoved so far up it's own ass that they need to justify their own jokes by bashing others into oblivion.

I like gaming on PC's and consoles but I'd never call myself a "PC/Console gamer" because I don't need to tell the world what I've tagged myself as because it serves no valid useful point at all.

While I liked the singing and parts of the video I can't say the same for most users here not even trying to be civil but rather outright annoying to others on purpose.

I like also like how PC only people can call shit on consoles but when someone takes even the tiniest jab on the PC they 100% of the time will get called shit on themselves and I just can't get over the obvious hypocrisy that's become displayed when that happens.

When will the time come where we don't have to feel the urge to shit on others purchasing decisions and make fun of them?, because I'd really love that time to come soon because my faith (like there was any to begin with on here) in general gaming communities will just flat out die.

Edit: I just realised that at any time I can expect a PC only person to quote bash me to simply state that "I'm just wrong", boy golly I can't wait for the obvious replies I'm just now imagining.

Directionless

Nov 4, 2013
All fanboys are insufferable, but fanboys that make shit up are just plain unbearable. And frankly, console fanboys are the only guilty party in that respect.

NezumiiroKitsune

Mar 29, 2008
Aardvaarkman said:
Crimsonmonkeywar said:
Aardvaarkman said:
Well, that's certainly a logical conclusion to draw from the new consoles having record launch sales, while PC sales are continuing to decline. Sure.
Declining? Please do link me to your quote, because last I checked it was a multi-billion dollar platform with Steam alone reporting more concurrent users than consoles as well as an online userbase only surpassed by Sony, but please. Do show.
Here you go:

http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS24065413

What about "PC Sales are declining" is not true? Just because it's a multi-billion dollar industry does not mean it isn't in decline. The Roman Empire was once the most powerful on Earth - that didn't stop it from falling.

I'm not saying it from any kind of bias - these are just the facts - console sales are increasing, while PC sales are decreasing. There's no getting around that. Yet, for some reason people around here aren't aware of these facts and keep declaring consoles dead, when it just isn't true.
Interesting, I wasn't aware of this. However, and feel free to disregard my interpretations of this data, I don't feel this well reflects trends in, what we're calling, "PC Gaming". I have come to this conclusion, for a couple of reasons.

First and foremost, this analysis broadly describes the current climate of manufacturer pre-built PC's, from the largest manufacturers and exporters of PC's, in the world. I argue, without data to back it up, though I feel we will agree, most computers sold worldwide aren't intended for gaming, often only boasting rudimentary graphics processing, for HD movies. Furthermore, the majority of these sales won't likely be retail sales, to individuals; the substantial volume going to businesses, government bodies, etc... in bulk (possibly with the exception of Apple, who're uniquely manufacturers of what I'd consider Veblen goods, but that's ultimately inconsequential). The combination of these, I believe, probable prepositions, indicate that data from such a broad review of pre-built computer sales, would reflect much more about, possibly, the current economic climate, the transitioning away from PC's for tablets and smartphones where possible, current technology trends and developments, such as mentioned in the article, Windows 8, and a myriad of factors that can't reasonably be deduced from the limited data set.

Gaming PC's are a small niche of total worldwide PC sales, that are ill represented by any analysis of global sales trends on PC's as a whole, especially when delivering a focused review of the shipments of the largest PC manufacturers. A niche that, I'm sure you are aware, isn't primarily filled by the likes of HP or Toshiba. Most Gaming PC's are creations of a number of avenues, that would be missed in this data set; custom computer builders, such as DinoPC, are a common means of purchasing a gaming PC; as you're aware, building your own PC, a very often explored avenue by most gamers who prefer PC as their primary platform, due to it's cost effectiveness, and more recent relative ease; adding to a pre-built PC you already own, to make it a capable gaming platform, easier now due to a conserved nature interfaces across the component world today (PCI-E, for example).

The purchasing of components, and the capacity for older PC's to become gaming systems, again suggests particularly that, new PC shipment figures, in response to sales figures, would poorly represent these people.Given that there is no central body distributing and tracking "PC sales" around the world, in the way Sony is capable of doing with PS4, there may not be any easy way to gauge trends in people's acquisition of new PCs, or in upgrading the ones they have. Today we have only estimates on the number of computers in the world, and can only speculate how many are sold privately, built and simply retained, or recycled. Indeed, because there is no "Computer Company", and the ubiquity of computers and their critical nature in present society is undoubted, I suggest, any data that discusses PC sales as a whole, reflects better the current private economic environment, than whether PC's are "in danger of being obsoleted". (Which I personally believe they are, but in so much as technology as we know it, will be. Besides the point.) They're protected from this, in a way consoles are not.

If someone were to set out to get an idea of how well computer game sales, as opposed to gaming computer sales, were doing in relation to the wider gaming industry, it would, I believe, result in more representative figures of the "health" of this branch of the industry, if data were drawn from software distributors, such as digital distribution services and online retailers. Since, while previously I suggested most of the PC's shipped, from the data in that Press Release, weren't intended for gaming primarily, a significant percent will be used for some gaming. Be it Flash games or a vast Steam library.

It's getting late here, so I'll conclude by saying, whichever way the industry shifts it's weight, and influence, my only hope is that it is toward progress; which puts the pressure on us, the consumers, to spend out money thoughtfully, and invest in whichever direction is best driving both technology, and our personal interests.

OT: I'll likely get a PS4 sometime down the line. I'm anxious to get my hands on Destiny, before Sony get impatient and top it. Then all I'll have left is MGS and Ratchet and Clank!

Edit: 708 words in the main body!? Apologies, and thank you for taking the time, anyone who got this far!

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Aardvaarkman said:
Crimsonmonkeywar said:
Aardvaarkman said:
Well, that's certainly a logical conclusion to draw from the new consoles having record launch sales, while PC sales are continuing to decline. Sure.
Declining? Please do link me to your quote, because last I checked it was a multi-billion dollar platform with Steam alone reporting more concurrent users than consoles as well as an online userbase only surpassed by Sony, but please. Do show.
Here you go:

http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS24065413

What about "PC Sales are declining" is not true? Just because it's a multi-billion dollar industry does not mean it isn't in decline. The Roman Empire was once the most powerful on Earth - that didn't stop it from falling.

I'm not saying it from any kind of bias - these are just the facts - console sales are increasing, while PC sales are decreasing. There's no getting around that. Yet, for some reason people around here aren't aware of these facts and keep declaring consoles dead, when it just isn't true.
Unfortunately, this is like saying "More people are working from home" and then giving me a graph showing declining car sales.

This shows a decline in off-the-shelf prebuilt computers. This doesn't account for:

1. Workplaces turning more to tablets
2. Gamers are increasingly choosing to build their own parts
3. People are increasingly finding that they don't need a new computer to play games
4. We're fresh off of a newish OS launch, and current Windows 8 computers haven't packed it in yet, meaning consumers don't need to buy a new one.

A more relevant statistic would be PC game sales over the years, or the number of new Steam accounts (since Steam has gotten so ubiquitous).

Azure Knight-Zeo

Jun 7, 2010
I would become more of a PC gamer, but I don't really like playing games on the PC as much as consoles, mainly because computers hate me.

Dec 16, 2009
Crimsonmonkeywar said:
Mr Ink 5000 said:
i'm getting more and more tempted by the WiiU
I must be strong
Give in, GIVE IN!!!!!!
I'm really tempted. maybe after Xmas. they're the only ones who look fun at the moment.
I'm just torn due to their stance on conflict minerals
hmmmmm, if only they showed a sign of improving, I could justify it to myself

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
randomthefox said:
Look at all the sniveling fanboys butt hurt about the PC master race thing. It's like if something isn't said with complete dripping sarcasm then it couldn't possibly be meant as a joke. Lord help you people if you ever decide to read Hitchhikers Guide To the Galaxy, you'll probably end up taking it so seriously your entire body will follow your head as it recedes up your ass and then you'll pop out of existence.

I can't help but think of a metaphor at a time like this. It's like people on the Titanic sneering at the folks who claim that the life boats are a better alternative to staying on the bigger ship. Yes those life boats might be smaller and you'll have to row them yourself, and we sure did stick our noses up at them once before, but now we shall indeed sing their praises because they are the only safe way to go compared to the alternative of sinking into the frozen depths of the atlantic. But no, keep sneering, folks, saying we're so smug and douchebaggy for wanting to not die, call us the "life saving little boat master race", a phrase we might have joined in saying with just as much condescension, but I imagine it shall be hard to judge when you're sinking into the depths (of mediocrity and being taken advantage of as a consumer) while we float away above water watching you flail and try to convince us it's not actually all that bad when you've already been reduced to an icicle.

I'll just be here playing Recettear [http://www.carpefulgur.com/recettear/], the greatest game ever made in the history of ever. Enjoy Knack, I'm sure you wont get bored with it inside of a month and find there's nothing else to do with your expensive brick of a console.
Because you're not judging already, right?

And you're CERTAINLY not being more condescending than every console fan in this thread combined, right?

Times like this, I hope the "lifeboat" that I'm on sinks, just so it takes the rest of us sorry sods with it and puts us out of our monocle-adorned misery.

RyuujinZERO

Oct 4, 2010
Alas, there is a tragedy mixed in with Titanfall's PC release...

It's on Origin, which to many gamers (me inclusive) means it may as well be console exclusive; because it's dead to me, and it'll be a cold day in hell before I sign up to EA's plans to RFID chip/barcode/track all PC gamers on the off chance they so much as glance at the word "piracy"