Zero Punctuation: F.E.A.R. Perseus Mandate

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Heres a thought add a gamepaly option to mix up the drops and what the enemy type(at least weapons/grenades,ect) are hell random ambushs are always cool as well.

If they mixed up the drops and the weapons the enemies carry more then oh what fun could be ad,it would be much less repetitive.

blackfly01

Dec 5, 2007
Nice. I liked that sleeping bear analogy! I've always been skeptical of this one (or at least the FEAR series itself), but finally knowing that the hero is an atmosphere killer makes me realize that it was good not to buy into it (friggin, bullet-timed action-hero slobs... at least this one doesn't have a face).

G8tr

Jun 1, 2008
I can't be bothered to scan through all the previous comments but I found it odd that you neglected to mention that the two expansion packs to FEAR weren't touched by the original developers, Monolith; of Condemned and No One Lives Forever fame. I guess if you didn't like the original FEAR then you can't be expected to like the bastard offspring but it's worth noting that even the run-of-the-mill gaming magazines noticed that the expansions were a few pegs lower than the original game. The bullet time mechanic, while out of place, was undoubtedly implemented to show off the the fancy particle effects. And if like you, or me the first time I played FEAR, don't have the borg cube handy to run it at high settings it seems rather out of place. Now that I've squandered all my hard-earned cash on a fancier box I've noticed that bullet time becomes less of a panic button and more of a badass mode engage button, which is good because I'm going to need something to take my mind off of my imminent bankruptcy.

I suppose it was a good review, since the expansion packs are the epitome of taking an idea and running way too far with it, but the original FEAR had a lot of nice touches which I felt you glanced over; especially the chatter of the enemy soldiers slowly becoming more and more terrified as you pick them off one by one.

badazz5001

Jul 22, 2008
Like it all my fault i think it would be awsome if all of fear was just bizaare random horrer sequincers

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
Fallout 3 has one dungeon in it that pulls that trippy crazy world thing like from this game.

I was truly enjoying it, and it spooked me, but it was MUCH too short.

itsnotyouitsme

Dec 27, 2008
Meh, although i have to say he did hit the spot on his review, as this being the worst of the 3 games. The original FEAR is more about the combat and plot building and the second one is ball to the wall and ends everything, the 3rd fear is beating the cow too much as it shouldn't have ever been made. It's like killing spiderman and then making a new one.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
daxterx2005 said:
This game looked pretty enjoyable...
During the nightmare scenes anyway.
oh, it is. It is. The AI is genius. To this day, they shine brighter than anything in CoD.

daxterx2005

Dec 19, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
daxterx2005 said:
oh, it is. It is. The AI is genius. To this day, they shine brighter than anything in CoD.
Really, so would you recommend this game?
Also, if it helps I think my all time favorite horror game is RE4

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
daxterx2005 said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
daxterx2005 said:
The thing is the FEAR series is never about the scare, so much as incredibly well done combat. It's not scary, so much as creepy. And the over-arching plot is great. Except that FEAR Files is no longer canon.

daxterx2005

Dec 19, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
daxterx2005 said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
daxterx2005 said:
The thing is the FEAR series is never about the scare, so much as incredibly well done combat. It's not scary, so much as creepy.
Well, now that its over a year later I'm sure I can pick it up in bargain bin somewhere.
I'll give it a look.
Thank man!
and thank you Yahtzee for reviewing games weekly ^___^

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
daxterx2005 said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
daxterx2005 said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
daxterx2005 said:
The thing is the FEAR series is never about the scare, so much as incredibly well done combat. It's not scary, so much as creepy.
Well, now that its over a year later I'm sure I can pick it up in bargain bin somewhere.
I'll give it a look.
Thank man!
and thank you Yahtzee for reviewing games weekly ^___^
If you wanted to, you could get all 3 FEAR games for under 60 USD.

I saw FEAR 2 for $17.99, FEAR for $15, and FEAR Files for $15..

Jimrollson

Jul 29, 2010
I should be writing an essay but instead I think I'll trawl through some classic old ZP vids :) Yo mama's on the top of my things to do list!

l0b0

Oct 30, 2010
Yep, that's all something-hundred videos watched. This smacks of contentment. A big Thank You from a gamer in dire need of an alternate reality in which to play, play, play for days on end, only to emerge after 2 seconds into the real world.

yaoinut

Dec 17, 2010
Funny episode. Loved the image of balls to the wall. For some reason, that makes me laugh.