Zero Punctuation: F.E.A.R. Perseus Mandate

Axulciex

Nov 28, 2007
F.E.A.R is great fun if you unbind the slowmo key, then ignore the tactical side of things and charge through levels faster than the AI can respond, on hardest difficulty. Otherwise its ultra shit boring.

Good review; but theres choice between playing fear as a cover-shoot tactical shooter or a fast paced action shooter.

Lord Scottish

Nov 28, 2007
xdiesp said:
They are wasting Yathzee's potential with this kind of budget games.
You have a strange idea of 'budget games'. Personally I think a $30 US expansion to a $50-$55 US game that requires thousands of US $ of hardware to run properly isn't targeting the gamer with low levels of cash.

rhizic

Nov 14, 2007
before i rant, i was hppy to see a vid again, not that i have issues with the text stuff, but you know its what you come to expect you know? like a good crack high? enjoyed the review, a little more paced but still good, thou i can be sure you ripped the flashy lights of me.....

ok on that point i just want to sort something out here, i dont know about the some punctation guy but when i made mine [im the one with the bad mike and no vector program] i did'nt do it to parody or to mimic or rip yahtzee off. i did it as a joke, and its obviously a joke. ha ha he he no no get it? there's no mastereship or want to be like yahtzee in it. personally i'm guessing its a british thing this whole humour malarki. but yeah the vid was made as a little homage, and becuase i thought it'd be fun to have a little dig on his own game. get it yet? for those tat hated it for technical reasons fair enough,no probelm with that, but those that immediatly dismisseed both mine and SP's becuase they dare to laugh and be merry and are what you've probably labled as paradies and blathemious assualts on the mighty yahtzee, your very sad, get a life, relax a little. me and SP are trying to m big, cool or clever, we're having a giggle.and to he guys that said they liked it , cheers for the love, alteast some people get it eh? especially the italian that laughed at the italian joke, see people? humour.....

for anyone thats not seen them.
this is mine:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=kujPzyibQX4

and this some puncuations:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=6XSpPIBvjN4

they are both very differant and both are worth watching in my opinion [but i may be biased] though its true to be said that SP's was made wih proffesional intent and it much more cleaner and visual impressive,and i suppose this is shown in the viewing count [his 52,000 mine 1,00o -i did it first tho lol-] tho to be honest its a little blander.

and yes for a imitature its a honour to be noticed by the imitated, tho he was proabably talking about the seppo's vid. as for yahtzee coming to burn down my house, well although it maybe worth it just to brown nose with the praise, i'd rather settle this with a duel on time crisis or house of the dead 4 or something. you know, like real men, a test of gaming ability ^_^

Heroic One

Aug 29, 2007
I'd be angry at a guy who reviewed my game and didn't even play long enough to discover why the "hug wall" key is a toggle. There's a power-up that enables movement along walls, moron!

The Luna Diviner

Nov 26, 2007
Wow, I'm so not playing that game. lol

Also, I wanted to know, have you have ever reviewed Kingdom Hearts or any of it's sequels?

Undertowstudios

Nov 14, 2007
rhizic said:
for anyone thats not seen them.
this is mine:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=kujPzyibQX4

and this some puncuations:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=6XSpPIBvjN4
Personally Rhizic, i would prefer the one by Some Punctuation, first of all because i could actually understand something he said and wasn't mumbling all the time, secondly he wasn't shamelessly plugging that he would like to get free games from The Escapist by wanting to work there for no reason at all, thirdly, the review was a lot more mature in my opinion and not just because of the artwork but because of the overal look and feel of it.

But i do understand where Yahtzee is coming from, it's his own personal style and his way to vent and rant on how badly made today's games are. As you have already read in the report on his visit to Valve, game designers and publishers are beginning to take note of his reviews, and if he keeps it up, he might make a serious impact on the gaming industry since he has become quite the phenomenon right now. His videos are being watched all over the world, and i think due to Yahtzee the traffic that The Escapist gets has likely been increased tenfold since Yahtzee joined.

I guess he's due for some respect from his audience, and shamelessly asking him to review certain games or ripping him off and badmouthing one of his favorite hobbies is just bad style. His games are free, and when things are free, you shouldn't complain about them since you have lost nothing on them, except for some of the time you invested in downloading and playing them. Yahtzee makes his reviews because companies make you pay for the filth that they are producing, which not only makes you invest time in bad games, but also makes you waste money that you are going to regret.

So all in all, a big thumbs up for Yahtzee and keep up the good work, and don't let ignorance get you down, there is plenty of that going around in the professional game development industry, especially when it involves in actually making something good.

Chilango2

Oct 3, 2007
Not your best, but still, good!

On a general front, its pretty clear Yahtzee was more hardcore than I am, he wanted to "stay in the nightmare," I found the switches back to the regular action to be much needed relief after the game seriously creeped me out during the scare session parts (I should note, only played through part of the original, not the expansion. I can only play so much of the original before I have to put it away and play something more relaxing.

rhizic

Nov 14, 2007
yeah undertow studios i totally agrre with what your saying about the power of the reviewer, particulary with the celebrity that yahtzee has at the minute, i think its a great thing, and like everyone else im a massive fan of yahtzee, the thing with the vids is neither of them are done with evil intent and i dont know about SP one but mines done purely for a laugh, and personally i cant see anyone not really getting it, i doubt very much the yahtzee's really annoyed about either mine or SPs and to be honest it would'nt really bother me, jokey or not i reviewed the game and yes in yahtzee ish style but we both put good and bad, and we both loved the game, we both plugged it to the hilt, and i think he'd appreciate the attention is gotten of the back of it. oh on the other notes, yeah its pretty annoying people saying review this review that but ya know sometimes you want something so much, personally i' crave for a review of some old nes / snes games that'd be fun, and as for ahtzee makes a proper big game, to be honest i dont know his skill level, but i could see him direction and producing a awesomely funny and smart game if he had a competant team.

yeah anyways the point of all that is i doubt yahtzee gives a flying monkey about the reviews if anything he got the joke, and if he really does have a issue with anything i did, he's got my email.

oh and when'd i ask for free games? as if i could write proper haha

errlloyd

Nov 29, 2007
Nice one. But I want cod4, somthing tells me it will be similar to the halo 3 one, but with limited credit for been a decent ps3 game.

Dyskresiac

Nov 30, 2007
Am I the only one who finds that Zero Punctuation has been following the same uninspired repetition that Yahtzee continues to harp on FPS games about?

Bioshock, Tomb Raider Anniversary, Manhunt, Halo 3, Tabula Rasa, Orange Box, MOH Airborne, Clive Barker's Jericho, F.E.A.R

Does anyone else see a pattern here? A bunch of shooter games. Sure, some are third person, some are first person, some are RPG-based, and some just plain old suck. Is there any surprise here?

I can't say it's Yahtzee's fault because it appears as though he isn't the one who picks out the games that are reviewed. Nevertheless, it's obvious he's running out of things to say about games that are nearly identical, with the exception of PERHAPS a different setting. This is how shooters have been since the dawn of time, and he's not telling us anything we already know. They've all been cookie-cutter for the past 10 years at least.

Why not review a wider variety of games? If The Escapist insists on sticking to FPS games, why not actually review ones people give a shit about-- such as Call of Duty 4, Hellgate London, or Crysis?

FunkyJ

Jul 26, 2006
Hat's off for putting Butterfingers in there at the end...

Maybe we can get the yanks listening to some decent music! ;)

Odjin

Nov 14, 2007
Dyskresiac said:
This is how shooters have been since the dawn of time, and he's not telling us anything we already know. They've all been cookie-cutter for the past 10 years at least.
Deus-Ex anybody? There are others which in my opinion can't be placed in the same pot as this *bleep* but yeah, I guess this is opinion. Granted it is easier to make a crappy and repeatetive than a creative one which is why such gems as mentioned before are far and few in between.

hickwarrior

a samurai... devil summoner?
Nov 7, 2007
Dys, there is an overkill of shooters on the market, i hear. So it's not surprising at all that he reviews tons of shooters.

Oh, and the guys that are wondering why he isn;t at his best, he did say that he got jet-lag and all.

L4Y Duke

Nov 24, 2007
OK, I just saw that Some Punctuation review of Art of Theft. It kinda makes me want to make my own ZP-style reviews called Zero's Punctuation, starring Zero from the Mega Man X series.

But, I don't have the connection speed, nor the animation programs, nor the drawing talent, nor the attention span to make it. Oh, well.

Piper13

Nov 22, 2007
OK, for all of you completely incapable of actually reading a book, from Webster's New Heritage Dictionary:

Parody: A literary or artistic work that imitates the characteristic style of an author or a work for comic effect or ridicule.

Had these guys taken yellow block/stick figures and marketed themselves as game reviewers, reviewing games every week, using all of Yahtzee's technique and style, THAT would be copying. These guys took a tremendous amount of time to create these videos, in response to a lack of video from someone we all obviously enjoy. The fact that they did so, and reviewed one of Yahtzee's own games... I direct you back to Webster, and try and find the word "irony" in there for me; I'm not doing the work for you this time.

Anyone in this long list of hacks that has actually read a "book" (most wouldn't understand, it's like those papery things that come with games and computer hardware that say "Instructions" at the top, only longer, and with a plot), might say, "oh ho, Yahtzee; hoisted by your own petard!" ...but then few here would understand that reference, either.
But no, dogpile on these mooks in the good ol' vigilante style of the internet. Whatever.

This thread, and the threads on 'Tube, sound like packs of shrieking harpies. Unless you have the ability and talent to do what they have done, sod off.

I thought they were both funny, on several different levels. If that doesn't make sense, perhaps you should go take a 200 level Lit course. They offer things like that at places called "college."

Wotcha

Katana314

Oct 4, 2007
I'm actually wondering if Yahtzee should start reviewing older games. He seems to have quickly churned through the actually INNOVATIVE titles this season, so maybe take a look at the games we remember in history. Like one of the GTA games.

NoPantsMan

Oct 31, 2007
I'd say that was a pretty good review. Not on par with his The Darkness or Fable reviews, but pretty good! Though his complaints on FPSs seem to be getting repetitive, though then again it might be just that FPSs are getting more repetitive on their own these days. I don't think combat is going to get that much diverse when all it is is point and shoot.

and yeah, I do sympathize with having to dip your PC in liquid oxygen like Ed Harris in The Abyss before jumping into hardware-frustration-land.