Zero Punctuation: Fable 3

badmunky64

Sep 19, 2007
I was also blindsided my the random skip of 150 f***ing days. Fortunately, the income was still flowing as long as I didn't go through the portal and I got the perfect good ending with everyone alive.

For fun I played it again as a dick and put all the money I earned from being evil into my pocket. Everyone died but the main NPCs were all talking about the hard decisions I made to save everyone for some reason.

So basically, there are 4 possible endings, but LionHead only put in 3 clips. They never assumed a player would both be a dick and keep the money. (although it was fun to kill everyone without the guards fighting back :))

SickBritKid

Jan 11, 2011
Canid117 said:
SickBritKid said:
Canid117 said:
Does the Clock trick still work to get money?
From what I know, it does but it only gives money a few times a day as opposed to every 5 minutes or something...
So it will take me a half an hour longer to get 5 zillion gold? Oh noes!!!
Didn't say it was somehow difficult.

IMO, anyone who didn't start buying up properties immediately, Yahtzee included, deserve that because it's really the only way to make money in this game.

SickBritKid

Jan 11, 2011
Specula said:
I didn't think it was possible for someone being Cynical to actually turn me off a game this quickly, but congratulations, there's always a first. So Yhatzee, firstly screw you for permanently destroying any remote curiosity I had to get this game and thank you because I now have money to spend on something infinately more enjoyable. :)
If you ask me, the game's okay. It's not spectacular nor is it the greatest game of all time, but Fable 3 DOES have some good bits worth merit. It's a decent rental game, at the very least.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
That sounds like why I hate moral dilemmas. There are obvious tiered choices and not everything that's pegged as "evil" is "evil." More often than not, coices are pulled down by "good" (Do it the creator's way) and "evil" (do it the other way). I know extra choice is hard to program, but binary situations are often really dumb.

Plus, it baffles me when I do almost everything "wrong" and get the "good" ending, anyway.

teknoarcanist

Jun 9, 2008
The problem with Molyneux's design is that, rather than contextualizing your moral choices with an inherent role, responsibility, relationship to the goings-on -- or at least, doing so to a degree that actually makes you GIVE A FUCK -- he just jumps right in and assumes that Good is this universally objective quality that all actions and decisions can be reduced to having or not-having.

Which is kinda...

...yknow...

...fundamentally retarded.

Mass Effect does everything Fable wishes it could do, with the extremely elegant good-cop-bad-cop "paragon/renegade" mechanic.

I can't help but feel that if someone had gone back in time and tapped Peter Molyneux on the left shoulder, and then over his right, reached in and scratched out 'good' to replace it with 'Leader' and 'evil' to replace it with 'Ruler', the entire design scope of Fable III would have shifted for the better.

mrnomas

May 17, 2010
I'd go with:

....................Feared
.....................|
.....................|
.....................|
Selfish------|------Altruistic
.....................|
.....................|
.....................|
..............Respected

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
...and here I was: Interested in what Yahtzee thought of Molyneux's latest attempt at making the game-play "more realistic". Sure, ragging on the story is fun, but not when it takes four minutes in a five-minute feature.

Where was the clever insight about needing friends to be more powerful or something? Where were the biting remarks about how the weapon upgrade thing works? Oh wait... he compared the game to an asbestos and bacon sandwich. I guess that's supposed to sum everything up. Ever.

...and here I thought that his thoughts on one aspect of a game belonged in extra punctuation.

LimitedPunctuation

Apr 20, 2010
Azmael Silverlance said:
I love it when Yahtzee makes some uber strong and valid points about the games he is reviewing.
Seriously how is getting money to LIVE an act of EVIL???? :O
IF the population knew what was gona happen they`d freaking throw their money at him....
Anyway this was one of my favorite episodes :)) seems to me yahtzee is going back on track :p
BECAUSE LIVE BACKWARDS IS EVIL THATS WHY

SiskoBlue

Monk
Aug 11, 2010
Best quote, "fanboys will angrily defend angry wasps if they exclusively nested in xbox casings"

...true of all fanboys.

face_head_mouth

Sep 16, 2010
That was one of the best Zero Punctuations in a while.

The fact that Yahtzee reviewed both of the previous games gave it a nice sense of continuity, since we were already invested in his opinions (on both the Fable series and Peter Molyneux). Also, the criticisms were both constructive and pretty hilarious (especially the "aggressive Xbox wasps" joke).

I almost didn't want to watch this one, considering how terrible the WoW review was (not that I have any stock in the series, its just that I've heard Yahtzee say these exact things before in a much funnier, fresher way), and I found myself pleasantly surprised.

Mako4354

Nov 20, 2009
Here's my idea for a better use of that moral choice system. It's not perfect, but I think it's close to as good as this system of choices could possibly be. First off, switch the labels of good and evil. Keep the "harvest and invest" options the same, but label them as good, because, duh, it's all for the purpose of protecting the people of the land. As for the "party and die" options, label them as evil, and, and here's the major change, emphasize the ulterior motive: To keep the civilians happy and make them let their guards down. Prepare for the day that the monster comes, and let him kill the majority of the people, while you and the royal guards and police, who have been trained in dark magic defense behind the scenes, defend yourselves. The reason for this is thus: You plan on killing most of the civilians so that the population will be low, and with a weak population, they will have no ability to defend themselves against a more aggressive tyranny, of which you are the all-powerful ruler. By the time the population regrows, your harsh rule will have settled, and your guards and police will be loyal and unstoppable, because you spent the year training them, and concluded the attack by placing them near the top of the pyramid, giving them wealthy privileges.

Admittedly, this begs the question of why exactly you didn't just have the police kill random civilians and leave it at that. Well, for two reasons: One, you wanted to keep the population high, so that the monster could eat a while bunch of people and leave with some people left, whereas with a low population, there would have been little to no people left after it was done. Two, somewhat contrivedly, you wanted the massacre to happen in one quick, massive attack, so that the civilians will not have time to form another resistance, whereas killing people with the police may have taken too long, and would have left people an opening to hide and form something of a rebellion.

Thirdly, if you made "harvest" choices at some points and "party" choices as others, then the main character will feel the need to protect the civilians, but also the need to keep them happy. I guess s/he would be idealistic, but kind of a moron. It sounds stupid, but we need a middle ground for mixed choices, BioShock.

The problem with this is that it still consciously differentiates between good and evil, but come on, how is it possible to make the "party and die" options and make them look both noble and not completely stupid?

Masterdebator

Jul 13, 2010
Never understood Fable or anyone who cares for the franchise.

Just a bunch of half-baked rpgs with a bare bones combat system and the most basic morality system ever devised.

ArianaUO321

Mar 20, 2010
Caldarin said:
I know this has been brought up already, but why can't I go Julio-Claudian on Reaver's ass (and by that I mean kill him and seize his assets)...
People keep raving about how Fable is all about choice... but when I actually think I'll have the chance to make a choice I've wanted to make since the end of the 2nd game (killing Reaver), it's sadly not there... It's not like it'd even be that evil of an act... I mean, you watch him kill people in cold blood...
Personally, by the time I got near the end of the game, I found myself wishing I could have Page executed for just being so painfully stupid... Yahtzee speaks of exactly why in his review. It involved a lake.

Honestly, Yahtzee more or less just hit the nail right on the head with this entire review. And, as always, was funny at the same time.

Telekinesis

Apr 26, 2008
The ending was hilarious. "No one wanted to be the guy that brings up the fact that 3/4 of the population was dead" hahaha.