Zero Punctuation: Fable 3

xdiesp

Oct 21, 2007
Ok, I have never played Fable 3 and I can't make head or tails of what happened him in the end. Did the game skip 150 days because he was rich enough anyway, or did the game clock advance in a way he totally interpreted wrong?

I am AFK

Sep 20, 2009
I remember the time skip, I had -1000000 dollers & sead "we are going to die!" but its ok I had one kid & repopulated the land, go me

Emz

Jun 13, 2010
xdiesp said:
Ok, I have never played Fable 3 and I can't make head or tails of what happened him in the end. Did the game skip 150 days because he was rich enough anyway, or did the game clock advance in a way he totally interpreted wrong?
After you become the ruler, there is a fixed amount of quests - most of them being about finances for the kingdom. If you do not do the quests, you have infinite time. If you go through the quests straight away with no break the last quest is 150 days before the year ends and then after that you're instantly chucked into the "1 year anniversary since you became King/Queen." Like the part in Fable 2 when you're in the Spire.

rayen020

May 20, 2009
Warachia said:
rayen020 said:
They really need to come up with moral choice systems that don't use the words GOOD and EVIL or any of the synonyms. Good/Bad, rightous/evil, paragon/renegade, sunshine-flowers/darkness-sins of the flesh. i don't think these cover all the bases... Wait let me restate; We know these do not cover all the bases. Moral choice meters and moral choices are a good thing to have but i think they need to more than binary. i think there are many way to implement a system i think game developers are being lazy.

example
Respect
|
|
Rightous----|----Evil
|
|
Fear

See? came up with that in less than five minutes. as a king or ruler or leader or whatever this should be your meter... in fact this should be your meter as any famous adventurer person with access to guns, swords, area of offense spells, biotics, or massed forces of destruction. And even more so you add a Z axis and/or an alpha axis (i think thats what a four dimensional axis is called, honestly idk). I don't know i'm no game designer but i feel that by simply adding another axis to a moral choice meter would make stuff more deep open and less idiotic.
Hey, that's pretty good, mind if I start a discussion based around your idea?
nah go for it.

drh1975

Dec 8, 2010
Whether I agree with Yahtzee or not, I like his reviews, mainly because he doesn't kiss anyone's ass, unlike G4's reviewers. That said, I liked Fable III and I don't care what anyone else thinks.

game-lover

Dec 1, 2010
LOL!

Omigod, I've never played it but I don't think I want to now.

That does seem kinda weird and everything. Doing something for the good of the people's wellbeing is ironically evil even though you're saving everyone's lives.

I'm surprised he didn't start over. As soon as I saw the day of reckoning was at hand, I'd have been all, fuck that! and reset.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
Meh, I like Fable's combat, and while the game is shallow, it's at least entertaining.

Funny video, though.

Jaime_Wolf

Jul 17, 2009
People are always yelling about how great and innovative Fable is, but every time I try them, they just seem bland and badly designed.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks so.

Xenominim

Jan 11, 2011
I've actually played all three Fable games without buying them, first two were my brother's, the third one my roommate. The first was interesting I thought, it was unique, rough around the edges, but it seemed like they had a good idea at least. And then, the second one came. And they didn't fix anything, just added new features. Combat was still broken, the NPCs were still uninteresting, the story was still a fragmented mess, moral choices were a joke, and your avatar acts like a mute idiot. And then the third comes and it actually has LESS features than the second and all the same problems. Hell I think it's even a shorter game. Yahtzee nailed it, the only thing keeping this game going is the fact it's an exclusive title to attract fanboys, I honestly think were it on both systems it would sell less overall!

Harkwell

Sep 14, 2009
Yeah, I got tripped up by that 150 day bit too. NEXT TIME I play, im going to buy as much fucking houses as I can at the start and just let the money pile up. Because you know...theres no need to buy anything else than your starting guns and clothes.

As if you got that many choices in guns and clothes...
Or moral decisions...

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
samaugsch said:
Racecarlock said:
samaugsch said:
Racecarlock said:
Azmael Silverlance said:
I love it when Yahtzee makes some uber strong and valid points about the games he is reviewing.
Seriously how is getting money to LIVE an act of EVIL???? :O
IF the population knew what was gona happen they`d freaking throw their money at him....
Anyway this was one of my favorite episodes :)) seems to me yahtzee is going back on track :p
Has anyone ever noticed that LIVE is EVIL backwards and vice versa? Weird, huh?

Anyways, think of it like this yahtzee, now that you've reviewed fable 3, people will shut up about it now, won't they? If anything that's probably the only positive thing you'll get out of playing and reviewing the game.
If he has trouble looking for other games to review, he could review Half Life 2. (He's already reviewed Silent Hill 2. Why not Half Life?)
Well, that's easy. He already did. http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/10-The-Orange-Box
Oh. I wonder why he didn't just title it "Half Life 2".
Um, because he reviewed the other games in the package too? Half life 2 isn't the only game that matters you know.

AgentLex

Dec 15, 2009
johnzaku said:
I wonder why he keeps playing the fables since he's hated them since peter first asked him to review te first one o_O
Probably to get his "fans" to shut the hell up.

weatherfn

Oct 22, 2008
I'm just glad I'm not the only one who got screwed up by the last "day" jump. I had almost the same idea as Yahtzee, and because of my mistake, everyone in the game died...

ThePuzzldPirate

Oct 4, 2009
weatherfn said:
I'm just glad I'm not the only one who got screwed up by the last "day" jump. I had almost the same idea as Yahtzee, and because of my mistake, everyone in the game died...
I used the multiplayer glitch and gave myself money.
The game made me sad, while they managed to fix my female character from going butch, they broke everything else. How in the fuck do you do that.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
Yahtzee is always bragging about his "powers of clairvoyance" about video games before announcing something obvious. How many of you had your own clairvoyant moments when you knew Yahtzee was gonna mention people whining for this game to be reviewed within the first 30 seconds?

Specula

Jan 6, 2011
I didn't think it was possible for someone being Cynical to actually turn me off a game this quickly, but congratulations, there's always a first. So Yhatzee, firstly screw you for permanently destroying any remote curiosity I had to get this game and thank you because I now have money to spend on something infinately more enjoyable. :)

Aphantas

Apr 29, 2010
this review was funny, especially the part about the king not collecting rent for 5 months and the real-time elements in a non-real-time world . i was caught offguard by this trick as well. I still think that they should have used sped up real time progression, not quest time progression. The sense of urgency was lost as soon as it was found that time only progressed with the story. i only disagree with a couple of points
1. that the King should have told the people about the Big Bad coming to eat them but if he had, the general populace would think they have a crazy king and he would have been dethroned very quickly, which would be the worst outcome for the kingdom
2. i believe the Evil/Good meter was also meant to be from the perspective of the common people of Albion, hence keeping the kingdom pretty is good and higher taxes is bad, even though from the kings perspective, it is the exact opposite.

ironlordthemad

Sep 25, 2009
Yeah randomly losing games was one of the biggest WTF moments of gaming in 2010 for me.
And yet for all its flaws, I still love playing Fable games. I don't know why... maybe its because I ignore all the character bollocks and just randomly slaughter stuff?