Zero Punctuation: Fallout 3

Greyhawk

Sep 29, 2008
Hurrah for the return of Branston Pickle. I wonder if the Universe would end if you spread it on Fallout 3? Would it be awesome?

Rankao

Mar 10, 2008
BlueInkAlchemist said:
First 20 seconds are worth the price of admission.

Also, if you haven't tried Branston pickle yet, what's wrong with you?
I live in a place where they don't sell it?

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
derpa said:
AceDiamond said:
MolotoK said:
Has Yahtzee ever played the originals?
I guess he didn't, because then he wouldn't compare fallout 3 to Branston Pickle.

I expected much more of a bashing for FO3 by Yahtzee.
It's probably the most disappointing game in the last decade or so and definetly the worst sequel ever made but no reviewer seems to notice....
Yet another person who couldn't let go of the fact that it wasn't Van Buren. *rolls eyes*

While I disagree with Yahtzee on a few points he does have a point that a lot of it does get monotonous at times, hence why i spend a lot of time picking a direction and exploring. But V.A.T.S. still never gets old.
*eye roll* Someone made a strawman
*eye roll* Someone thought that was going to make me feel sorry for words.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
Fallout 3 was to obvious of a target given all the pre/post-release from No Mutants Allowed, so I'm suprised this review isn't all bile.

As for a comparison with Oblivion, Fallout 3 is better... granted the flaws are still there but the game world is alot more interesting.

Poptart Fairy

Jan 31, 2008
MolotoK said:
I'm not complaining about thinks like the first person view
You can go into third person view.

or the strange combat system
You can play it just like the original Fallout games.

but about things like the incredibly bad writing, unbelievable characters
No better or worse than the original Fallout games.

and missing freedom of choice (the main quest has NO CHOICE WHATSOEVER right until the last 30seconds of the game.)
It has markedly more freedom in the main quest than the original games did, and a feck-ton more in the secondary quests. I don't ever recall a moment in Fallout 1/2 where I could nuke a quest hub.

Resolute

Nov 19, 2008
"There's a good reason why no one has ever tried to mix real time and turn-based combat." Actually, Parasite Eve 1 mixed those two elements and as a combat system (apparently giant mutant centipedes will kill you while exercising the utmost patience) it kind of sucked in comparison to its sequel that threw out the turn-based elements altogether. The game itself was pretty good, though.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Volucer said:
I agree with the review, only part I didn't like was the subpar ending.
Indeed, the ending was a huge let down and didn't even make sense given who I had with me at the time...

Your asked to go into a radioactive area to push the 'end game' switch - or you can ask the lady with you. But for some reason, not the radiation proof super mutant with you... :| :\

EDIT:
The rest of the game I enjoyed, even with what Yahtzee pointed out, heh.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
MolotoK said:
AceDiamond said:
Yet another person who couldn't let go of the fact that it wasn't Van Buren. *rolls eyes*
I'm not complaining about thinks like the first person view or the strange combat system but about things like the incredibly bad writing, unbelievable characters and missing freedom of choice (the main quest has NO CHOICE WHATSOEVER right until the last 30seconds of the game.)

All the strong points of FO1+2 are gone and all thats left is oblivion with new textures and guns.
You say you aren't complaining about the first-person and then use the "hurr Oblivion with guns" comment to sum it up. Can't have it both ways. And since you are complaining about the writing, characterization, and freedom of choice (oh I'm sorry was choosing to blow up an entire town or not choosy enough for you?), then ultimately your complaint is that it isn't Van Buren.

And since your initial comments of "worst sequel ever made" and "most disappointing game of the last 10 years" were just thrown out there without any sufficient evidence (even for opinion both those claims are pretty steep, I'm pretty sure Starfox Command is the worst sequel ever made since Nintendo has denounced it as non-canon) you can see how one ends up in a situation like this.

Lastly, like Yahtzee once said, he isn't a "sweary ninja for hire", so while one could expect or hope for him to assassinate a game just because one personally didn't like it, it isn't always going to happen. It's not like I'm broken up because he didn't tout it as 2008's game of the year, after all (hell I don't even think it is GOTY worthy)

DeathQuaker

Oct 29, 2008
imbaczek said:
if you really haven't played fallout 2, then i kinda forgive for this review. now go play it, coz now is the time and you're several years behind.
If I've sussed Yahtzee's playing preferences right, he probably would've gotten frustrated with Fallout 1 and 2's slow-paced combat and the way your followers tended to keep shooting you to death all the time and gave up before he could see those games' many good points. (Not that follower AI is great in FO3, but at least my best friends aren't constantly "accidentally" emptying an SMG into my rear end.)

Great review, surprised he liked it as much as he did (hey, I love FO3 but I generally expect him to be cynical as possible; "It was all right," from him is high praise). I agree with him on most of his points (though am slightly more forgiving of the subway tunnels ;) ).

Volucer

Sep 4, 2008
Doug said:
Volucer said:
I agree with the review, only part I didn't like was the subpar ending.
Indeed, the ending was a huge let down and didn't even make sense given who I had with me at the time...

Your asked to go into a radioactive area to push the 'end game' switch - or you can ask the lady with you. But for some reason, not the radiation proof super mutant with you... :| :\\
I know. That really urked me.

I should have left him in that cell to die!

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
i disagree wth the similarities of oblivion. surprisingly, as bland as a post apocalyptic place can be, i didnt find it NEARLY as bland and boring as the landscape in oblivion. also, all the character interactions were done so insanely better. it honestly felt like a completely different game than oblivion, at least to me, despite the similarities that might be there.

basically, what i'm trying to say is, this is the first time i disagree with a review here. only in some small points, but i still dont know how to react with this newfound emotional trainwreck i have just walked into. i know he liked it, but i still have an issue with the comparisons to oblivion. i guess it's to be expected though.

t_rexaur

Feb 14, 2008
I agree with the stealing things part, it really has been ingrained into me that being the hero means everything in the game world is yours to own or smash to get the health/rupees inside.

It's probably why I enjoyed being a thief in Oblivion.

Cheesebob

Oct 31, 2008
Loving the review Yahtzee :D

On another note...How long do you think it will take for this thread to be filled with "Fallout 3 has no right even existing near Fallout 1/2" people?

LoganAsh

Jul 7, 2008
"You eyes fall out.. Fall out 3, that is!"

I think that made this review for me! XD
Seriously though, very good, albeit a little on the short side. I'm really tempted to get this game and the only thing putting me off atm is, surprisingly, that Bethesda are behind it. I loved Oblivion, but found it's characters and sceanery very monotonous and very un-immersive. Clearly this is meant to gretly improve on that, but it's still a worry.

Either way, great ZP!

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
Liked the pickle sandwich part. And nice, another game he likes. Actually I did see the part of the E3 review making a comeback but never thought that Yahtzee would actually retrieve it. Good for him.

Jursa

Oct 11, 2008
Ye it does get a bit monotonous. Then you sell a child to the slave traders and you instantly forgive the game for it. As always a review worth of applause. And while the quick-travel system isn't exactly immersive, it does help when you have to go to the other end of the world.