Zero Punctuation: Fallout 3

imkerrusin

Jul 9, 2008
jgrizzle358 said:
hahaha. it was funny. but u were wrong though. they have mixed real-time with turn based gaming. ever heard of Final Fantasy X-2 and Final Fantasy XII? and in that case, how come u never did a review on the Kingdom Hearts series? that's like a pure gold mine for sumone like u. plenty of things to crack fun at. it would be like a comedic orgasm with giant pinatas that look like boobs and are filled with skittles. :D
Indeed they would be. Then again I think Final Fantasy X is nothing more than Squeenix taking bits and pieces of its predecessors tossing them into a pot mixing it with crap and coming out with crap. By that point, the dung beetles would probably roll it up and take it away for whatever the hell they do with dung.

OnionMaster

Jul 2, 2009
ironhalo999 said:
Fallout 3 is at best the game to play if you are depressed and need a little help in the direction of killing your self
This is right on the money. I liked Oblivion a lot, it made you feel... happy... and becoming 100% invisible and messing with the game mechanics created some hilarious moments. But this is a whole new level of depressing. Brown, brown, grey, dead, brown, dead, grey.

imkerrusin

Jul 9, 2008
OnionMaster said:
ironhalo999 said:
Fallout 3 is at best the game to play if you are depressed and need a little help in the direction of killing your self
This is right on the money. I liked Oblivion a lot, it made you feel... happy... and becoming 100% invisible and messing with the game mechanics created some hilarious moments. But this is a whole new level of depressing. Brown, brown, grey, dead, brown, dead, grey.
Okay, it may seem depressing, but in truth, its the idea that counts.

And what was so happy about Oblivion? Patrick Stewart gets killed in the beginning, plus your trying to save the world from being devoured by darkness which is nothing new to a fantasy setting. Fallout 3 is about the Aftermath of the apocalypse. A "What If" scenario if you will. Obviously the presentation may seem depressing but at the same time, you get to see how the populous managed to adept to the change. Besides, they used a lot of pop cultural references when making the FO series. Case and point, wearing leather armor and carrying a sawed off shotgun while having a dog for a companion. Or, The Pitt being a Slave city. Oblivion is just another extension to the Elder Scrolls Series, and Oblivion's concept shows hints of repetition behind it. I.E. being a prisoner or arrested for some reason or another, getting released, going out into the world to save it from it's utter and ultimate doom. The only thing they changed with Oblivion is where you start. Instead of being in a ship, your in a dungeon making your escape.

TheBurningFist

Jul 28, 2009
Love the game, love the review until your eyes are falling out fallout 3 that is!

Yeah and I've also bought it a couple times so my friends can have a copy. and got GOTY edition

DreamByJoev1

Oct 5, 2009
I got this 2 weeks ago wednesday, and 1 of the expansions on friday and absolutly LOVE this game-- bit annoyed that it needed updates after it kept crashing, so if anyones just bought this- go onto its websites and download as much updates etc. as needed... damn thing kept crashing after i got to lv. 8, now happily at lv. 21 with a dog that i'd just set on fire ^_^

lewis.m

Oct 15, 2009
It's almost exactly as you said, with the new add on's out now it is a little harder but you can just wipe all that "slight" difficulty away with a nuke or 2

Gir1yG4m3r

Dec 22, 2009
Volucer said:
I agree with the review, only part I didn't like was the subpar ending.

EDIT: I meant the subpar ending of the game, not the ZP, just to clarify that.

I'll admit that the game genuinely made me very sad at points with everyone I liked always dying...well except for my awesome companions.

But yes, that's pretty much my only other complaint. The ending made me kinda annoyed.

David Bray

Jan 8, 2010
This game bored me. It was better than Oblivion but worse than Fallout 1 & 2 and fell into the i-don't-care category of most games. I hope New Vegas is good.

James B Hamster

Apr 15, 2009
As of today, March 21, this links to this video, both on the ZP archive screen and those in the first post of this thread, resolve to a 404 page at the following address: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view//-

Even typing in the full proper URL for the video manually resolves to that page.

Winnn

Mar 24, 2010
This is still my favourite review of Yahtzee's. A perfect balance of wit, criticism and praise that gives an accurate and balanced evaluation of the game while still being grade A entertainment.

silverleaf81

Oct 2, 2009
Funny review! Also HE LIKED IT, AWESOMENESS!!! This is why i like Fallout 3= http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX5k0F9uncE

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Ultratwinkie said:
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
There will be haters for all games. Even though I don't happen to remember Fallout 1 or 2 winning GotY. They were good games, but this is better.
no. back in the 90s gaming wasn't as big as it is now so GOTYs didnt exist. fallout 3 aint better than the originals. it just isn't.
I never played the originals so I cannot make an accurate opinion based on it. I do think though that Fallout 3 isn't really a true sequel to Fallout 1 and 2. I find it to be more of a new experience in the Fallout universe rather than a true sequel.

CyanLink

Mar 3, 2010
I just couldn't get into Fallout 3. The world was bland the enemies were unbalanced. The quests gave really small amounts of money. The weapon degradation was BS (as it always is) and most importantly the NPCs were boring. I sold my copy.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Ultratwinkie said:
There will be haters for all games. Even though I don't happen to remember Fallout 1 or 2 winning GotY. They were good games, but this is better.
no. back in the 90s gaming wasn't as big as it is now so GOTYs didnt exist. fallout 3 aint better than the originals. it just isn't.
Because it got popular? My friend loved Metallica until they went mainstream. Now he hates them. Similar?

They improved the graphics, kept the core story for the most part, and kept the famously dry humor. What's not to like?
I don't understand why some people like something but when it gets mainstream they start to hate it. Was it that their style of music changed to please more people or was it a hating something because it went mainstream?

Tevana

Mar 28, 2010
Yes loved the VATS, I especially love to use it to shoot the enemies heads, more spacifically the annoying Swampfolk who I hate with a passion and I felt I was doing them a favor by shooting there ugly faces from there bodies. Oh and great reivew heh.

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
MolotoK said:
Has Yahtzee ever played the originals?
I guess he didn't, because then he wouldn't compare fallout 3 to Branston Pickle.

I expected much more of a bashing for FO3 by Yahtzee.
It's probably the most disappointing game in the last decade or so and definetly the worst sequel ever made but no reviewer seems to notice....

really? everyone has the games they like and dont like but you're the only person ive heard of actively hating this game to the point of most disappointing game/worst sequel level. oh well i hate final fantasy so we all have our various games we dont like