Zero Punctuation: Fallout 3

cmdr_zoom

Jul 17, 2007
For a ZP review, this is positively glowing. ;)

Three thoughts: one, I suspect he never got to the infamous ending. Two, it can get a little monotonous and silly, which is one reason I'm taking a short break from it now that I've finished it (the first time). And three, I suspect that the reason that the big name actors aren't given more lines and screen time is that they're bloody expensive.

mcderek3000

Nov 15, 2007
needausername said:
Haha, that first part was really good, (I mean the beginning 20 seconds) And I do agree with the Fallout 3, Oblivion thing, and I steal most stuff not stuck down too, except I don't pickpocket, as I suck at it...
I'm the exact opposite. I only steal if the owner of the house has been a real bastard to me. Fortunately, Oblivion had enough a-holes in it to let me finish the entire Thieves' Guild quest line. Anyone remember that annoying nobleman in Skingrad?

Lupie

May 14, 2008
No-where else on the internet makes me crave cheese and pickle sarnies with such clockwork regularity than this little hole.

I think that merits some sort of certificate, surely.

DoomBlackDragon

Sep 13, 2008
I agrea with this review alot. Lol they did a better job on it but at the same time the change did go out the window very fast. It is good I will say that. More or less you just try to stumble accross stuff. I do agrea the ending was bad. I mean it was not a fall out ending at all. 1 and 2 we super this was good. My biggest problem with it was the lack of them massive play back. I mean this one has non of the oh you make you character wrong so you will loose half the story type play. I do say it still fun even though about 3 runs through the game will be most likly the end of the play back abilty this one has.

derpa

Apr 4, 2008
AceDiamond said:
derpa said:
AceDiamond said:
MolotoK said:
Has Yahtzee ever played the originals?
I guess he didn't, because then he wouldn't compare fallout 3 to Branston Pickle.

I expected much more of a bashing for FO3 by Yahtzee.
It's probably the most disappointing game in the last decade or so and definetly the worst sequel ever made but no reviewer seems to notice....
Yet another person who couldn't let go of the fact that it wasn't Van Buren. *rolls eyes*

While I disagree with Yahtzee on a few points he does have a point that a lot of it does get monotonous at times, hence why i spend a lot of time picking a direction and exploring. But V.A.T.S. still never gets old.
*eye roll* Someone made a strawman
*eye roll* Someone thought that was going to make me feel sorry for words.
A strawman followed by an assumption, you're on a roll.

nought_0

Sep 17, 2008
I shot a Mole Rat in the neck and it's head flew off and rolled into a hole which turned out to be a tunnel full of goodies :)

"flawed masterpiece"

derpa

Apr 4, 2008
Poptart Fairy

You can go into third person view.
Which is flawed.

You can play it just like the original Fallout games.
No you can't.

No better or worse than the original Fallout games.

It has markedly more freedom in the main quest than the original games did, and a feck-ton more in the secondary quests. I don't ever recall a moment in Fallout 1/2 where I could nuke a quest hub.
*Facepalm.

PopcornAvenger

Jul 15, 2008
AUGH!

My heart, my heart! *thud, falls over, dead*

*scrittering sounds as rats come in to chew on the body*

. . yeah, on second thought, I wouldn't bother to review Farcry 2. It's so monotonous and sadly pathetic that it'd be like kicking your dead dog around the room.

unangbangkay

Oct 10, 2007
I'd just like to say that mixing turn-based and real-time combat doesn't always turn out horribly, just look at Valkyria Chronicles. Then again, those are two very different games. I'll shut up, now.

Zulu-Echo14

Jun 7, 2008
AceDiamond said:
MolotoK said:
Has Yahtzee ever played the originals?
I guess he didn't, because then he wouldn't compare fallout 3 to Branston Pickle.

I expected much more of a bashing for FO3 by Yahtzee.
It's probably the most disappointing game in the last decade or so and definetly the worst sequel ever made but no reviewer seems to notice....
Yet another person who couldn't let go of the fact that it wasn't Van Buren. *rolls eyes*

While I disagree with Yahtzee on a few points he does have a point that a lot of it does get monotonous at times, hence why i spend a lot of time picking a direction and exploring. But V.A.T.S. still never gets old. Plus I liken it more to having spontaneously generated the ability to transform into Cleric John Preston and go all gun-kata on people (ok so I stole that from one of the designers who described it that way on the Making of DVD but whatever).

Really hope Bethesda figures out their uncanny valley problem because he's very right about that.
I have no problem about this game not being Van Buren, I do have problems however with this game completly raping the Fallout franchise, having the most awfull combat ever and having completly atrocious dialogue, this game is not a FPS/RPG, it more like some strange mix that uses only 2/5 FPS, 1/5 RPG and 2/5 suckiness.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
derpa said:
Poptart Fairy

You can go into third person view.
Which is flawed.

You can play it just like the original Fallout games.
No you can't.

No better or worse than the original Fallout games.

It has markedly more freedom in the main quest than the original games did, and a feck-ton more in the secondary quests. I don't ever recall a moment in Fallout 1/2 where I could nuke a quest hub.
*Facepalm.
So are you saying 1 and 2 are better than 3 or not. I haven't played any but I would like to start with the original, lately I have appreciated the classics more because gaming is not what it used to be.

We decided to be more positive Yahtzee? Finally a game that doesn't sound so messed up! I research either way, I'm a Yahtzee fan but I don't follow 'yay' or 'nay'.

beddo

Dec 12, 2007
I thought that was quite a bad review, it didn't seem to cover very much.

LesIsMore

Jul 22, 2008
Hooray for the support of the Fallout series! Excellent description of the game and criticism of the odd unreal qualities Bethesda seems so fond of. I was wondering if he'd like this game and the fact that he does so cheers me up - and not just because I consider his words gospel.

And huge points to self-reference in flying off on Branston Pickle circa "No More Heroes," the Captain Picard notice circa "Oblivion" and another mention of "Mankind is Yet to Recognize My Genius" circa "Saints Row 2."

kharn-ivor

Nov 18, 2008
Agree with the VATS "problem" altough it pretty fun to watch ppl blow to little bits :p it does make the game super easy, a super mutant might be mildly scary if you couldnt stop it in its tracks and take a nice aim or two ^^

I dont get why they made a fps view then not have you doing the shooting i may have worked better in oblivion acctually were i always thought the fighting was about pressing attack enought. O well good games anyways :)

As for the issue of playing the other fallout, they are so far back in time and technology that a player should enjoy it without knowing about the others.