Zero Punctuation: Fallout 3

Etni

Oct 31, 2007
Was I the only one who thought the opening of this review was kinda blah? I mean, the joke is ancient. It's been around as long as there have been reviews. Or movies. Or radio programs. Or basically anything that has an intro and an outro.

No big deal, though, I was just surprised at how many people are praising it here. Overall the review was very good and funny, as ZP reviews usually are.

I don't see the VATS system as a problem, btw, since you need action points to use it and you can only get a couple of shots off before they run out.

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
Intro
Yeah, it's pretty good
Outro lol
it's okay though, you can still be king in F2 ;)

kharn-ivor

Nov 18, 2008
Etni said:
I don't see the VATS system as a problem, btw, since you need action points to use it and you can only get a couple of shots off before they run out.
Granted but after a couple of lvls you get a head shot in everytime and nothing can really survive long enough for you get into serious trouble(especially when ur hidding and get the critical), obviously their are exeptions but still makes the hole thing a tad easy.

derpa

Apr 4, 2008
Nazulu said:
So are you saying 1 and 2 are better than 3 or not. I haven't played any but I would like to start with the original, lately I have appreciated the classics more because gaming is not what it used to be.

We decided to be more positive Yahtzee? Finally a game that doesn't sound so messed up! I research either way, I'm a Yahtzee fan but I don't follow 'yay' or 'nay'.
Fallout 1 and 2 are better RPGs, while 3 is a better FPS.

Etni

Oct 31, 2007
kharn-ivor said:
Granted but after a couple of lvls you get a head shot in everytime and nothing can really survive long enough for you get into serious trouble(especially when ur hidding and get the critical), obviously their are exeptions but still makes the hole thing a tad easy.
Hmm, that does sound like a problem. Guess I just haven't gotten enough skill points in weapons yet. :)

rebochan

Apr 10, 2007
Wow, I guess Yahtzee didn't finish the story mode. I was expecting about ten minutes of screaming, followed by a credit roll.

Not that it makes Fallout 3 a bad game, but I have noticed people's opinion of the experience go from "GOLD!" to "SHIT!" if they finish the storyline. Man that was a lousy ending...

Ryuzaki

The Public Face of L
Nov 5, 2008
A great review as always Yahtzee, liked the start. The VATS system is good, but I still wish they would have put some form of slight autolock on the shooting (like in COD4), as when you are not using VATS the shooting can be annoying at times.

MJ12 Commando

Apr 17, 2008
I always bothers me how Yhatzee insists on playing games on the easiest setting and then complains on the being too easy. I basically play the way he did a good karma character with thieving skills and I find hard and very hard setting still quite challenging at times. Theft in the original Fallouts didn't make you lose karma at all so I still think this is a step forward.

I haven't finished the storyline yet so maybe thats why i like the game so much while still being a fan of the original games.

Meneguzzi

Apr 22, 2007
I have to say that the analogy with Branston pickle is very appropriate indeed. Although Branston pickle says "Pickle" on the jar, the taste, consistency and look of it have nothing to do with actual pickles. Rather than being tasty solid pieces of vegetable it's a brownish goo with some bits that may or may not have been part of the cucumber that supposedly went into the recipe. At the end of the day, if you ever decide to live in England and want to buy a sandwich for lunch, steer clear of sandwiches that say Pickle in the ingredients. You may try one to get the experience, but if you are not English, you won't have this "acquired" taste.

lockgar

Nov 5, 2008
MolotoK said:
Has Yahtzee ever played the originals?
I guess he didn't, because then he wouldn't compare fallout 3 to Branston Pickle.

I expected much more of a bashing for FO3 by Yahtzee.
It's probably the most disappointing game in the last decade or so and definetly the worst sequel ever made but no reviewer seems to notice....
Because to many reviewers where having so much fun with it :p . I have to remind myself that fallout has the largest broken fanbase ever. No matter what they did with fallout, none of those fans would have liked it.

derpa

Apr 4, 2008
MJ12 Commando said:
I always bothers me how Yhatzee insists on playing games on the easiest setting and then complains on the being too easy. I basically play the way he did a good karma character with thieving skills and I find hard and very hard setting still quite challenging at times. Theft in the original Fallouts didn't make you lose karma at all so I still think this is a step forward.

I haven't finished the storyline yet so maybe thats why i like the game so much while still being a fan of the original games.
it was not a step forward....

lockgar said:
Because to many reviewers where having so much fun with it :p . I have to remind myself that fallout has the largest broken fanbase ever. No matter what they did with fallout, none of those fans would have liked it.
Yea none of the fans have liked it *eye roll*

Papopapo456

Nov 19, 2008
A very nice review... as usual. I thought he was going to review Left 4 Dead, but Fallout 3 its ok too.

runtheplacered

Oct 31, 2007
derpa said:
it was not a step forward....
Says you. Don't forget that your opinion isn't the only one in the world. I know, I know.. it's hard.

derpa said:
Yea none of the fans would have liked it *eye roll*
No, really. He had a point. No matter what you do with Fallout 3, you will have pissed off fanboys. You'll please some and you'll displease the rest. There really is no "magical formula" that would have taken the franchise into the current generation and pleased every single Fallout fan.

Zersy

Nov 11, 2008
even though i really thought the begining hilarious and agreed with almost every point he made i didn't laugh at all which is wierd cause i always laugh (!atleast!) twice but atleast he reviewed it and it wasn't boring

lockgar

Nov 5, 2008
derpa said:
Yea none of the fans would have liked it *eye roll*
I raise your *eye roll* with my own *eye roll*. About the only thing *eye roll* the "broken fanbase" would have enjoyed, is if they made another fallout game that looked like it was made in 1999, complete with low resolution sprites and talking heads *eye roll*. Then they would have complained that it wasn't different enough *eye roll*.

Like Yahtzee said "Fans are clingy complaining dipshits who will never be grateful for any concession you make. The moment you shut out their shrill tremulous voices the happier you'll be for it."