Zero Punctuation: Fallout 3

SuperUberBob

Nov 19, 2008
It looked a whole lot like Yahtzee was grasping for straws when trying to find flaws in Fallout 3. Hell, the fact that he's having difficulty finding valid flaws just shows how good the game is.

Though, this was pretty weak compared to his previous reviews in my opinion. Almost as if he didn't really want to write the review.

derpa

Apr 4, 2008
runtheplacered said:
Says you. Don't forget that your opinion isn't the only one in the world. I know, I know.. it's hard.
No, says the flawed system they put into play for stealing and karma.

derpa said:
No, really. He had a point. No matter what you do with Fallout 3, you will have pissed off fanboys. You'll please some and you'll displease the rest. There really is no "magical formula" that would have taken the franchise into the current generation and pleased every single Fallout fan.
Easy way was to not dumb the game down....but oh well.

derpa

Apr 4, 2008
Ryuzaki said:
derpa said:
Yea none of the fans would have liked it *eye roll*
Stop moaning. Why don't you back up your claims with some actual reasoning. Your opinion is not the law, you may be entitled to it, but that also means people are allowed to disagree with you.
Wait where did I say it was law? Oh thats right now where, you took it to be saying it was law.

Also don't even know how you quoted that and even got anything from moaning? You happen to have a source where all the fans didn't like it? hmmmm

derpa

Apr 4, 2008
thetragicclown said:
derpa said:
Yea none of the fans would have liked it *eye roll*
I think you're a bit lost. You see, this is the Zero Punctuation forum.

The forums for never-satisfied, "It's not Van Buren!" Fallout "fans" are over here [http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/].
Hmmm, seems lots of people on here like to make assumptions, where did I say I never had any fun with fallout 3? hmmm?

derpa

Apr 4, 2008
Poptart Fairy said:
Third person is third person, dear.
I never disagreed it wasn't 3rd person, I just stated it was a flawed 3rd person.

I'm playing it just like the originals. Use VATs, wait for AP to recharge, repeat. Feels just like the originals to me.
Yea since Action point combat it all that was in the originals. *eye roll*

Yup, thought so. You can't refute it. I'm guessing you're one of those NMA berks who seeth hate and bile about the game, but run off and cry in a corner when called out on specifics.
Never been on NMA but nice try. Fallout 3 is a spin-off and not a Fallout 3 its that easy. Bad RPG, but amusing FPS with some RPG elements thrown in, like Oblivion just better.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
I wish Yahtzee would do a 3 second review and all we got out of it was the crappy music and wasted time for reviews that are being demanded constantly.

Magnetic2

Mar 18, 2008
Wow, my favorite game at the moment didn't get a reaming. They have mods now where stealing means no loss of karma so... you can be the almighty kleptomaniac saint if you really want to.
Fallout 3 is a great game with all the elements being on the same level of "good" so this review pretty much hits it on the head. There isn't a whole lot to talk about specifically unless you want to compare it to the old games.

P.S. Can you get Branston pickle in the states?

Magnetic2

Mar 18, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Argh...conflicting emotions...

No Adverts +1000 xp
Dingy Intro -10xp (cumulative)
Short, Sharp Joke Start: Gain a level
Having one of those bloody crustaceans in there : Go back to start.
*shivers*
Good review, Good nitpicks, Oblique but not intrusive references : Oh get back to the level you were on before I nuked your xp.
End quip : +10xp.

Overall, gain a level and 1000xp.
Hey root, normally I enjoy your post, but whaaat are you talking about?

Sibbo

Mar 6, 2008
I was wondering why when pickpocketing ppl you lose karma when u give them money/guns, that seems a bit strange to me.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
MolotoK said:
Has Yahtzee ever played the originals?
I guess he didn't, because then he wouldn't compare fallout 3 to Branston Pickle.
I think he has, if for no other reason that in his Bioshock Review, he mentioned how Bioshock "At best, took a few pointers from fallout, and at worst, totally ripped it off".

rougeknife

Jan 2, 2008
Man, bring on the official 'Sweet Hat' mod, or for all you console tards, DLC. :p

Good review, for all its flaws here and there, F3 still a darn good game, and its pretty obvious that Ben enjoyed himself.

JakubK666

Jan 1, 2008
I'm surprised Yahtzee, an adventure game maker himself, didn't pick up on the amount of story absurds this game had.

theklng

May 1, 2008
ha! i am now convinced that yahtzee belongs to a special breed of people, what with the reference to objectivism/ayn rand.

whyarecarrots

Nov 19, 2008
derpa said:
Easy way was to not dumb the game down....but oh well.
THis may be just asking for trouble, but I'll go ahead anyway.
I've seen it said many a time that Oblivion and Fallout 3 are both highly dumbed down RPGs. May I ask how? I haven't played any older rpgs, but from what I played of Oblivion and ave heard of Fallout 3 they seem like they have a lot of character customisation and choices that can be made throughout the game.
Something I would consider a dumbed down rpg is Dark Messiah: Might and Magic, which had a ludicrously small amount of character development (admittedly it more than made up for it with a fantastic combat system)

Anyone have any explanation of this?

Hearthing

Aug 20, 2008
Funny intro, but I'm supprised you didn't pick up the game isn't worth the money the that was spent on it. The story is liquid, which I was shocked you didn't pick up on :( and the ending is like someone watched too much anime before they added the final bit to it. (I'm calling this Red Alert 3 virus, by the way.)

Also, loving the Branston. Keep it up.

zanthox

Nov 19, 2008
Pretty good review, I personally loved the first two but am open minded enough to not care for any elder scroll games but love FO3.

Anyway, for Yahtzee, kinda relating to the reason no one has tried mixing turn based and real time gameplay: I've got Valkyria Chronicles (ps3) shipping for cheap (I think the price is back up now) and that seems like a good slight mix of the two, you should try it out when all these 'more interesting games' stop coming out.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
DeathQuaker said:
imbaczek said:
if you really haven't played fallout 2, then i kinda forgive for this review. now go play it, coz now is the time and you're several years behind.
If I've sussed Yahtzee's playing preferences right, he probably would've gotten frustrated with Fallout 1 and 2's slow-paced combat and the way your followers tended to keep shooting you to death all the time and gave up before he could see those games' many good points. (Not that follower AI is great in FO3, but at least my best friends aren't constantly "accidentally" emptying an SMG into my rear end.)

Great review, surprised he liked it as much as he did (hey, I love FO3 but I generally expect him to be cynical as possible; "It was all right," from him is high praise). I agree with him on most of his points (though am slightly more forgiving of the subway tunnels ;) ).
Or aspoding you with chaingun fire when you get a tile too close to the enemies, heh. Happened to me more than once! And I have to admit to being surprised he liked Fallout 3 too. I figured he didn't like Oblivion and would see it as a clone of Oblivion with guns (hence wouldn't like it).

But they have improved the engine from Oblivion to Fallout, I reckon. I did have a list, but my brain has choosen now to forget them.