Zero Punctuation: Fallout 3

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
TerraMGP said:
Doug said:
I'd like to point out that this game is going to recieve a mixed reaction no matter what it was actually like. Personally, I enjoyed it, although I agree with all Yahtzee's points.

Anyway, the fact is there are a fair number of Fallout 1/2 fan(*cough-fanboys-cough*) who've evalated those games to perfection in their minds. Frankly, I don't think either of those games where massively complex as they want everyone to believe. Not to say they weren't good (I enjoyed 2 more myself).

Anyway, the fanboys would only EVER like a 2D isometric view with purely turn-based combat in an apparently open world that was really more like a linear trip in terms of the main plot.
Heres the thing, I love those kinds of games. The 2D Isometric ones. I adore them and I think they are way better than alot of what we have now. Thats not me being nostalgic because I have alot of them on my computer.But while I fit, for the most part, into that grouping you just mentioned I find it sad when people can't enjoy other games that are well done.

In the end none of it is the same as a night at the gaming table, Fallout 1 and 2 were close though. Fallout 3 was not AS close but its still an amazing game for what it is and people need to just broaden their horizons.
I more meant people who would call Fallout 3 an awful game no matter what because it is in 3d, not 2d iso. I don't think you fit into that group. I use the definition:

Fan: Someone who enjoys a game or series of games without being blinded to their faults and/or competition.

Fanboy: Someone who thinks there game of choice is 'the best game EVAR!' no matter what. Any sequel that isn't the exact same thing is automatically 'moving away from its roots'.

Jaythulhu

Jun 19, 2008
TerraMGP said:
Now to the people who hate fallout 3, get over yourselves.

First Oblivion was a good game.
This is your opinion only. After having played arena, daggerfall and looked at morrowind, all I can say is, wow, same game, slightly better graphics, more bugs, less stability. Oblivion had really no story to speak of, what was there was exceedingly derivative and unoriginal. Bethesda should never have been given the rights to fallout 3, they're just not up to the task.

Back on topic, F3 is a good game, quad-core memory leaks aside, it's just not fallout. It's far more like an upgraded stalker, or an oblivion total conversion than a proper addition to the fallout universe.

Since I don't really want the banhammer to slap down on me for not mentioning yahtzee, he was spot on with his criticisms. Just a damn shame he didn't give bethesda a bit more of a serve for their tonka-toy/duplo handling of what should have been the gaming equivalent of a lego technic big rig.

paliente

Jun 8, 2008
I absolutely loved FO3. GOTY for me. I'm a massive fan of the originals and found this new step up graphics/gameplay wise fantastic. FO4 will be mind blowing!

World At War next please Yahtzee. Does Yahtzee ever read these forums?

Jennacide

Dec 6, 2007
When I first saw the link to Fallout 3 I thought to myself "uh oh, this could be bad." Glad to see our favorite overzealous critic actually didn't despise it. Also nice to see the only real qualms he had were the same few as me that I can easily ignore for the rest of a great ride in the game.

Let's just hope this time around Bethesda tools on thier models/animations and interaction scenes including said models/animations and actually uses animation on the scenes.

Wargamer

Apr 2, 2008
Yahtzee must be losing his touch, because after watching that review I now sort of want to buy Fallout 3...

VonBlade

Mar 12, 2008
First bit made me laugh harder than I have since the Big Daddy bit all the way back in Bioshock. Subverting expectations. Clever Yahtzee.

Considering it would be impossible to lambast Fallout 3 as much as it deserves in a 12 volume leather-bound set of books as big as tables, I wasn't surprised to hear it get only a mild jabbing in 5 minutes.

Back to no adverts = happy me.

Dusea

Nov 11, 2008
that's because the makers of the game said it was a fallout sequel in terms of story, not gameplay. i read somewhere that they said it wasnt anything like the others, so it was on purpose.

i really want to play this game now! :)

entropy3ko

Jan 17, 2008
Rossmallo said:
I'm surprised...Knowing how similar it is to Oblivion, I had a horrible feeling of impending doom, but...he said it isnt bad, which was utterly shocking o_o But i gotta agree with him, it gets a BIT monotonous, but i didnt mind that. However, i gotta say, im surprised he didnt complain about the retarded point-of-no-return ending...THAT pissed me off. ><
Well FO3 improved a lot of what Oblivion had. I think Yahtzee main criticism of Obliovion was the lack of immersion. FO3 corrected it quite a bit.

BTW: Darkman Rulez

Hawgh

Dec 24, 2007
It strikes me as odd that there is no mention of the game's lack of an animation for diagonal movement.
I like the game, a lot, but that detail is so very annoying.

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
Not Good said:
BlueInkAlchemist said:
First 20 seconds are worth the price of admission.

Also, if you haven't tried Branston pickle yet, what's wrong with you?
I'm not from Austrailia. So give me (and everyone else not from Austrailia) a break.

Pertaining to the review, I'm assuming that he liked it enough to give it a seal of approval.
Branston is not Australian (note correct spelling), it's British. And it's available in most major supermarket chains, such as Wegman's and Genuardi's/Safeway and Giant Foods I believe. Full disclosure: I was unaware of it's wide availability as well, which caused some raised eyebrows when I returned from my first UK jaunt this summer with a "vegetable product" in my baggage.

Ryuzaki

The Public Face of L
Nov 5, 2008
derpa said:
Ryuzaki said:
derpa said:
Yea none of the fans would have liked it *eye roll*
Stop moaning. Why don't you back up your claims with some actual reasoning. Your opinion is not the law, you may be entitled to it, but that also means people are allowed to disagree with you.
Wait where did I say it was law? Oh thats right now where, you took it to be saying it was law.

Also don't even know how you quoted that and even got anything from moaning? You happen to have a source where all the fans didn't like it? hmmmm
You may not have said that your opinion is law, but judging on some of your comments, you certainly implied it.

And no I have no such source, but I was not trying to say that all the fans didn't like it.

All I was trying to say was that you need to back up your opinions with examples, or you are just raving. Spinning of one liners from a persons judgements (my quote was an example of one), without any attempt at reasoning as to why they are wrong, or why you are right, is moaning. It does not matter wether you are right or wrong in your views, if you just do that then you are simply complaining that their opinion is different from yours.

anti_strunt

Aug 26, 2008
X-COM Apocalypse featured both real-time and turn-based combat, although most fans of the earlier X-COMs seem to hate it like fans of Fallout 1/2 hate 3... (Oh, topical!)

Feb 13, 2008
anti_strunt said:
X-COM Apocalypse featured both real-time and turn-based combat, although most fans of the earlier X-COMs seem to hate it like fans of Fallout 1/2 hate 3... (Oh, topical!)
I beg to differ (And I think I have precedence :) ), the reason Apocalypse got so much stick is because the game was unfinished and those damn poppers.

laikenf

Oct 24, 2007
As a fan of the original Fallout games I have to say that Bethesda did a very good job with the franchise. They brought this game to a new generation (and consoles) while capturing the atmosphere of the first two games and adding their own flavor. I'm having a blast with this game, and I don't remember being as addicted to the originals as I am with this one (which makes me conclude the F.O. 3 is a better game), and it's so cool to see the fallout universe come to life in 3D with such a vast waistland to explore and interesting characters to meet. I LOVE the sidequests here, they are VERY REWARDING, as is exploring and scavaging the waistland because whatever junk you find can be used for something eventually. I also like the fact that there are TONS of locations to visit, keeping you're curiosity stimulated throughout the game.

TerraMGP

Jun 25, 2008
Ok to thsoe who still dislike Oblivion and Fallout 3 may I ask just what DID you want? It seems like you guys are basing this negative opinion on the standard of some imaginary game where everything is just like real life only five thousand times better and the story is like an epic one year long D&D game your best friend has been cooking up for years, yet not too long. A game where things are open ended, but not too open ended and are that way for absolutely everyone who would play it.

I played Fallout 2, Recently, and while I love it to death Its not this uber god game that people keep saying it is. I also played Fallout 3 and its a pretty good game overall. Sure I can accept the 'main story needs work' complaint a bit, but honestly when you get down to things like 'improper skins' and 'lack of movement when talking to you'. I would like to see anyone on here try to keep up when designing with the Bathesda team.

Let me ask you guys something. If they made a System shock 3... No I don't mean Bioshock but a real System shock 3 with the same team and the same mechancis and everything, how many of you think that you would judge it fairly? Please people Stop transferring your strange hate of Oblivion onto Fallout 3 and stop comparing it to your fond youth of over the shoulder tabletop inspired bliss. No game is ever going to hit that mystical 'sweet spot for everyone' and if you spend your whole life ripping apart every video game you come across because its not like the ones you grew up with your never going to have any fun with the good new games that come out.

I only wish you people understood the Irony of me being the one to say this.

Marsell

Nov 20, 2008
request postal 2 review as it has been made into a movie.
also, its about a Psychopath :)

Nivag the Owl

Owl of Hyper-Intelligence
Oct 29, 2008
I'm level 25 now (cap was too small so I raised it to 55) and I've just realised that my character looks fucking identical to Yahtzee. Or is it just me?

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m142/gafin666/ScreenShot9.jpg