Zero Punctuation: Fallout 4

ShenCS

Aug 24, 2010
Aww, was hoping he'd bring up his Deus Ex definitions and point out that Fallout 4 isn't an RPG; it's an open world action game with RPG elements. You seriously can't do any real roleplaying in this game without completely ignoring almost everything.

nyysjan

Mar 12, 2010
As a person with 325 hours of time played on Fallout 4 (for comparison, i have around 450 on Skyrim,quarter of which was me trying to get my game look just right with mods, and failing).
I have to say that i agree with almost everything Yathzee said.
If anything, he left lot of things out that i would have complained about (settlement system, inconsistent voice acting for male MC, forced characterization, story and gameply dissonance, some obvious flaws in crafting system, etc...).

Having said that, i'm of to play some more fallout, those raiders won't (usually) kill themselves.

Wilco86

Oct 5, 2011
JagerBombastic said:
I understand why people like Fallout as a game series, I just never really got on with it personally.
I played Fallout New Vegas, which is supposedly the best one of the series and I thought, 'to hell with this' in about 2 levels worth. Still far be it for me to have a go on other peoples favourite games I love playing Destiny and MMORPG's in general.
Well, as far as I can analyze the problem, you haven't played Fallout 1 nor Fallout 2.

It's a common misconception that game series start with 3 (Fallout 3, TESIII: Morrowind, Persona 3, Devil May Cry 3, etc.). =P

rgrekejin

Mar 6, 2011
Xsjadoblayde said:
There is a karma-ish system though, silly yahtzee! It depends what actions you perform around which non-canine companions you have in view. They judge differently based on their personality traits, which you only learn by experimenting. Did one rush through the game a little too hastily? ;)
We must be pretty hard up for Karma systems if that's the sort of thing that counts for one now and days.

Blazing Hero

Feb 20, 2015
Kind of off topic but does that stock photo of a baby at 1:58 actually have a penis? Since when did they start putting genitals on dolls? Were they always like that? I was always under the impression they didn't detail the nether-regions of kids toys. o_O

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
People really have that hard of a time finding screws? I've got like 800 of the things. Though, I do dismantle a lot of guns taken from enemies. The building materials I've found hardest to find are copper, fiber optics, nuclear material, and aluminium.

Though, that's only until you figure out where to buy/scavenge them them. Then it's pretty easy if you are leveled up enough to get in and out without being killed, or have a settlement developed enough that you can buy it when you need it.

All that said, I agree that the dialog system could use a LOT of work. Hope the mods can help that. Or that Bethesda can patch/update it themselves. Maybe make it at least better in the DLC.
I won't hold my breath waiting though. ;p

Otherwise, I've been having a pretty good time.

Matey

Jun 25, 2008
JagerBombastic said:
I understand why people like Fallout as a game series, I just never really got on with it personally.
I played Fallout New Vegas, which is supposedly the best one of the series and I thought, 'to hell with this' in about 2 levels worth. Still far be it for me to have a go on other peoples favourite games I love playing Destiny and MMORPG's in general.
Since when is New Vegas the best of the series? The argument has always been between 1 and 2 (i vote 2).

Cerebrawl

Feb 19, 2014
Xsjadoblayde said:
Edit: I have been tempted to get Wasteland 2: director's cut, but it is pricier than the average indie darling...can't seem to find many reviews on it though. Sterling or Yahtzee i haven't seen them mention it at all either. Does anyone know what it is like? It appears to be XCOM mixed with fallout, which are both pretty good, i believe.
I played through it before it became directors cut. Definitely worth it. The combat isn't as deep as XCOM, it's more like Shadowrun Returns without the magic, but with a Fallout-esque action point system, as well as an initiative system for how often characters get their turn.

RPG-wise, it's a lot like the old Fallout games, especially Fallout 1, as it's quite linear at times, especially early game(second half is much more free than the first). Similar map system to Fallout, random encounters, multiple-choice quest solutions, and unforgivingly missable stuff. (I couldn't resolve a quest the best way because an NPC triggered a trap I had missed to disarm, in a cut-scene, for example).

DrownedAmmet

Apr 13, 2015
I think Fallout 3 had the best morality system of them all. I had fucked around a lot in that game, not really caring about morality until I did the main quest and met up with my father again. Hearing Liam Neeson say "I've heard you've done some bad things, son, I'm disappointed in you," really hit me hard. I had failed Liam Neeson, all I could do was say "sorry Liam Neeson dad" and promise to be better, and I played the rest of the game as a good guy

So it's simple, really, all you need for a good morality system is a Hollywood actor to say he's disapointed in you

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I had to freeze the video at the screen that had Yahtzee say "WHO WANTS TO PARTY?" because it was so damn funny.
What I don't get about morality in the Fallout games is that are there any flat-out "good" guys and "bad" guys? What in game history I heard makes every faction sound shady and dubious, like the Brotherhood of Steel hogging all the good tech for themselves. Some, like the Enclave, sound like it's supposed to be lampooning real-world politics and that makes me roll my eyes. I wouldn't put it past Yahtzee to declare everybody a git.

Falsename

Oct 28, 2010
I don't watch Yahtzee for his input. I watch him because his voice gives me the chuckles. His actual thoughts about games doesn't mean much to me.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
remnant_phoenix said:
Weird. He seemed to lament the absence of a karma meter, yet in the past he's said, direct quoting here, "karma meters are bulls***". I wonder if he's changed his mind about moral choice systems.
I'm just quoting you because everybody else in this thread has.

OT: Yeah, I've never understood why the internet collectively creams its pants whenever Bethesda releases a new game. The only real difference I see between what Bethesda does and what Ubisoft does is that Bethesda does it to RPGs and not on an annual basis. Maybe that makes it okay?

(Before anybody gets on me for it, yes, I do think that the yearly release schedule makes a huge difference, I'm just noting that it doesn't seem to have such an impact on the final products as they relate to my interests.)

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Cerebrawl said:
Xsjadoblayde said:
Edit: I have been tempted to get Wasteland 2: director's cut, but it is pricier than the average indie darling...can't seem to find many reviews on it though. Sterling or Yahtzee i haven't seen them mention it at all either. Does anyone know what it is like? It appears to be XCOM mixed with fallout, which are both pretty good, i believe.
I played through it before it became directors cut. Definitely worth it. The combat isn't as deep as XCOM, it's more like Shadowrun Returns without the magic, but with a Fallout-esque action point system, as well as an initiative system for how often characters get their turn.

RPG-wise, it's a lot like the old Fallout games, especially Fallout 1, as it's quite linear at times, especially early game(second half is much more free than the first). Similar map system to Fallout, random encounters, multiple-choice quest solutions, and unforgivingly missable stuff. (I couldn't resolve a quest the best way because an NPC triggered a trap I had missed to disarm, in a cut-scene, for example).
Ah ok, thanks for the info! Hopefully the director's cut fixes some of the issues experienced. XCOM is probably too deep a system to work efficiently in an RPG, so that is to be expected. Shall have to try it out over christmas. :)

rgrekejin said:
Xsjadoblayde said:
There is a karma-ish system though, silly yahtzee! It depends what actions you perform around which non-canine companions you have in view. They judge differently based on their personality traits, which you only learn by experimenting. Did one rush through the game a little too hastily? ;)
We must be pretty hard up for Karma systems if that's the sort of thing that counts for one now and days.
Well, it's still a self-righteous judgey system that yields either sex or other vague rewards. Albeit more grounded, varied and less blanketing. I consider it an improvement over old binary moral choice systems.

Sansha

There's a principle in business
Nov 16, 2008
I knew it. I knew this would be disappointing, bland, overblown, committee-design Skyrim-meets-Minecraft half-assery with needy factions and poor companion planning, with a contrived, 'serious' main plot - IE a missing child - that you can happily discard so you can collate power armor and build a fucking town.

And now I am narcissistically proud of myself for, as a massive Fo3 fan, never giving into the hype, looking at the new title objectively, and almost never being at all interested in buying it.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Michael Prymula said:
(i'm really surprised Yahtzee didn't pick apart how all the endings are pretty much the same regardless of which faction you ally with, but maybe he didn't get that far).
ZP videos are typically free of spoilers like that, especially ending spoilers.

For instance, you'll notice that he didn't mention the ME3 ending in the ME3 episode of ZP. (The ME3 ending would've been Yahtzee comedy gold.)

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
I've always found the most succinct description of Bethesda RPGs to be -

"Wide as an ocean. Deep as a puddle."

Sure, there are a lot of places to go and things to see, but most of it is the same and there's virtually nothing to those places or things. They're tiny morsels that barely add up to a finger-food sampler. An interesting, if temporary, distraction. Not something I could sustain myself on.

I suppose that's why, to me at least, most of Beth's RPGs are little more than that. Temporary, short lived distractions.

Don't get me wrong. I understand the appeal of the series, and the love its fans have for it. It's just not an admiration I share.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
This video leads me to conclude that Fallout fans are really easy to please. At least current Fallout fans anyway.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
rocker1600 said:
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
Fallout 4

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Fallout 4.

Watch Video
(SPOILERS FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN'T PLAY FO4 YET)

Isn't the fact that your child is one the main leaders of one of the factions a big emotional investment for your character.
hint: players have to spend more than five minutes with a character in order to gain attachment to them

not to mention the weird and contrary nature of saddling your character with a spouse that they might not even be remotely involved with, kill them as some sort of crappy fridging attempt, and then just letting you do whatever the fuck you want after you wake up with whoever the fuck you want

this is why undertale, which chucks most of the strategic value of game mechanics out of the window in favor of storytelling, accomplishes more in terms of emotional development than something frontloaded with a whole bunch of neat but ultimately meaningless and distracting features that don't invest any level of player involvement beyond time

and undertale's not even that great of a game! we should be doing significantly better than that after all these years of industry development, but we're not

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I'm disappointed that they made people who bought the physical copy of the PC game, download 19gb. In addition to forgetting how to write an engaging story, they forgot how physical copies of games are supposed to work.