Zero Punctuation: Fallout: New Vegas

Strave

Gallant Gentleman
Feb 5, 2009
Hooray! A Zero Punctuation where we got some older music again! It's been so long!

Was that some delicious Glenn Miller I detected?

ProzacMan

Aug 24, 2010
zelda2fanboy said:
Damn, I was totally into that story. I think I'd probably watch a two hour Yahtzee Fallout story. You know, so long as it didn't freeze.
I'm with him! Maybe the Escapist can pay you a little extra to do one day a week of the game as Yahtzee's Fallout New Vegas videos on top of your regular reviews. :D

sunpop

Oct 23, 2008
I do believe the review people seem to demand came in at the end where he said it was hard to enjoy the game with all the bugs.

Correct me if I'm wrong tho but didn't Yahtzee say he doesn't actually review games. So why does everyone expect these videos to be full on reviews still? Also at the start he said that everything he felt about fallout 3 was said in the fallout 3 video so there you go.

The Human Torch

Sep 12, 2010
Meh, I think that I am getting tired of Yahtzee after all these years. Didn't even chuckle once during this. A breaks seems in order.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
KillerRabbit said:
Evilsanta said:
Ahhh...The Fallout Crashes...I dont miss them.

Anyways is this game any good? Besides the crashes that happens now and then is the game any good?
I am on my second play through of the game now, and I have only crashed once when I was alt-tabbing from fallout 3 to windows like 20 times in 1 minute due to checking score of a hockey game.

I can't speak for consolse, and I realy don't see a point in why anyone would play this kind of game on a console (?) since PC verision is superb compared to them. But on my Win 7 64bit system everything run fine.

And I completed the game before the patch came out! (And I am still unsure if steam has applied the patch to the game or not?!)

Anyway: This game is well worth buying! 9/10.
Hm...I might buy it then. And i got Fallout 3 to PC and i got crashes motly when i tabbed so that might be why :p. Maybe i should get New Vegas to.

Hawaiigm

Apr 11, 2008
Yeah, this was way better then his Fallout Three review because I could tell he already played the game, where as F3 felt like he made the review after listening to someone else play it.

I like the commentary about how easy it is to steal shit in this game (I walked out of the Brotherhood bunker with like, 24 laser pistols without even trying).

J-Alfred

Jul 28, 2009
Yeah, I agree with Yahtzee that re-reviewing Fallout 3 (I mean, reviewing New Vegas) would have been a waste of time. The only thing that would be lacking from his Fallout 3 review would be Liam Neeson and the complaint about subway tunnels.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Roofstone said:
I giggled at the freezing ending to his life. Though I wanna ask one thing: Hardcore, is it immersive.. Or just a pain in the royal arse?
Both. "You're dehydrated!", "Well, gee. I gots no water and the nearest town is too far away on foot. This is immersive, but at the same time I'm absolutely screwed."

LaughingAtlas

Nov 18, 2009
These rare Stories (like with Demon's souls) seem to be much funnier than "proper" reviews, maybe he could do a separate show just for amusing experiences inbetween writing books, putting off "fun space game", working in a bar, writing the weekly colomn and... eh, probably has a tight schedule as it is.

Schlagwerk

Nov 5, 2009
Rule of thumb for Bethesda games: wait for GOTY. The bugs'll all be sorted out by then.

It doesn't excuse them, but it at least makes you want to tear your own hair out a lot less.

Zixinus

Aug 13, 2008
A few thoughts:

One thing that definitely improved is the writing. Unlike Fallout 3 where everything is actually fairly clear-cut trough the veil of grittiness, you actually get the idea that most of the factions have their ideology and history. Ceaser is a warlord with a fancy theme, the NRC is like a modern government (it means well if you ignore its greed, corruption and occasional incompetence) and Mr.House wants Vegas to be his. The character work is improved too, you genuinely get the feel that these people live in the world you are in rather than fanfic-inserts. All of the companions, even the dog (although that's hinted), has a bit of history they can tell and have their own view of the world (you can ask about their opinion about various factions).

There are more speech checks too, meaning that you can solve a problem diplomatically with something else than just Speech. Repair, Barter, Medicine, Survival and Science (and even gun skills) can help you solve quests through dialog.

More quests can also be solved multiple ways and less rarely your usual "kill 20 rats in the cellar" type stuff. For one thing, the quests are a bit more logical, sometimes requires a bit of investigation and written well (unlike in Oblivion where you were everyone's favorite *****).

As for Hardcore mode... Yahtzee is right, it doesn't add that much. It's just means that you need extra health items and a new skill (Survival, which to be fair, also allows you to make certain drugs, make more use out of skins/meat and is actually a sort of alternative to Medicine). It tries to add a new dimension to the game, but the truth is, that once you are past the breaking point of difficulty, you trip over most of the health items you need. Not that it's bad mind you, just needs more depth.

Crafting is more ingrained though, as you can craft ammo and health items. This also sort of combines two skills, as you can craft Gun items with Repair (you can re-make bullets too) and Energy weapon ammo (which ammunition you can recycle) with Science (making it useful for something more than just occasionally cracking a terminal). Also, with Survival, you can make poisons that you can use with melee weapons. However, I dislike that there are less crafted weapons.

The bugs can be annoying, ESPECIALLY on console however. I'm not cheating or modding (much) but there is actually a DLL file out there that will massively help improve performance, as well as certain issues. Still, I have already learned some console commands to play trough the game (especially companion teleporting because the fucks constantly get gliched or lost).
However, these will likely be fixed over time and I would rather take some bugs over boring quests with uninspiring stories.

Overall, I think it is an improvement over Fallout 3.

KEM10

Oct 22, 2008
Ultratwinkie said:
you're telling him to shop on black friday? are you trying to kill him?
Sonic Doctor said:
No, don't try to fight the hordes on Black Friday. Injuries will happen.
Am I the only one here that has been to a live concert? Black Friday is nothing compared to front row of Gogol Bordello or Rise Against. Hell, I've been to bar shows that have more mayhem in them.

zHellas

Quite Not Right
Feb 7, 2010
zelda2fanboy said:
Damn, I was totally into that story. I think I'd probably watch a two hour Yahtzee Fallout story. You know, so long as it didn't freeze.
Me too!

He really should do a Let's Play.

Condiments

Jul 8, 2010
J-Alfred said:
Yeah, I agree with Yahtzee that re-reviewing Fallout 3 (I mean, reviewing New Vegas) would have been a waste of time. The only thing that would be lacking from his Fallout 3 review would be Liam Neeson and the complaint about subway tunnels.
If you were to simply look at a gameplay trailer, yeah Fallout new vegas would look similar to FO3. Except underneath its a vastly better designed, written, and thoughtful experience. Building your character actually MATTERS this time around, with the various stat checks effecting how you approach quests. The main quest doesn't rail road you down a single path, leaving you free to ally or turn against different factions. You can conveniently act nicely towards a faction only to backstab them at their weakest moment. You also have the option to just screw EVERYONE. It terms of actual roleplaying, New Vegas is one of the best RPGs to come out in years.

The setting is also far more coherent this time around. There is a semblance of civilization, towns, and power struggles between the various factions and gangs. Unlike Fallout 3 where after 200 YEARS everything is still completely destitute. Bethesda simply recycled plot elements from FO1 and 2 haphazardly hoping no one would notice.

Scarecrow

Jun 27, 2010
Knoxy said:
While the video was funny and it's always nice to change things up a bit, I have to ask: Where was the actual review bit? More in Extra Punctuation maybe?
He said at the start that he had already made a review...the fallout 3 review. So just watch that and you will know his feelings about New Vagas.