Zero Punctuation: Fallout: New Vegas

DoomBlackDragon

Sep 13, 2008
So what? It seems he liked it. Not really sure as he not a hardcore game and he even says he was. Then again I have to wonder alot about Yahtzee.

DoomBlackDragon

Sep 13, 2008
Not sure. I just know it was from Fallout 3. Which he did not even talk about the new weapons. How armor actully works in this game. Where guns and armor are weaker. You need specail bullets to kill some mobs unless you have a very high power gun. There is alot of difference from this game and that joke FO3.

sumguitardude

Jan 20, 2010
Caradinist said:
sumguitardude said:
Fallout 3 was shit and this game is shit, i agree completely with ur review
I mean come on they are using the same fucking graphics engine and it has more bugs inn it then a year old fish.
Care to explain why they are shit? Other than the bugs in the game that are fixed now?
Why i think it`s shit :

I bought fallout 3 when i got out becouse i thought i t looked good and it seemed like it was oblivion with guns in it.But after playing it for about an hour i traded it inn for another game.
Why you ask, becouse i thought the game was tedius, repetitive and just boring.
The fact you had to always empty ur items after collecting to much was an umberable chore.
And most of the characters in the game looked the same, the infinite traveling to one place to the other with no means of transportation and the horrible, horrible glitches also ruined it for me.
I liked the lock on system but that`s the only thing i liked about it.
Now if you like the game then good on ya mate, but me i rather eat sho polish then play it again.

And Las vegas is just the same as fallout 3, i mean come on they didn`t even bother by making the graphics better or sum other major improvement`s inn the game.
I feel the same as Yahtzee on this, it shud have been a DLC and not a full bloody retail game.

Expresate

Mar 17, 2009
sumguitardude said:
I feel the same as Yahtzee on this, it shud have been a DLC and not a full bloody retail game.
Since when did DLC have more content than the original game?

Madshaw

Jun 18, 2008
oooo a video based lets play, the escapist should do more of these (spoiler warning)

Milanezi

Mar 2, 2009
Roofstone said:
I giggled at the freezing ending to his life. Though I wanna ask one thing: Hardcore, is it immersive.. Or just a pain in the royal arse?
It TRIES to be immersive, it's cool in some minor aspects, since food and drinks finally make sense, and it makes things abit harder cause stimpacks and broken limbs will work out differently, don't worry, as soon as the game asks if you want hardcore mode on, it'll also tell you all the details. Mind you that playing with Hardcore Mode on does not keep you from setting the DIFFICULTY on easy,normal, etc. They are completly different aspects of gameplay. I'm 50 hours intomthe game, I stopped for now because the game is freezing too much and I'll rather wait for the next patch, Hardcore
Mode, however, does NOT make things overly difficult.

Trull

Nov 12, 2010
I'm playing, incredibly loving it.
But this review touches on a lot of good parts, but I think it doesn't touch too much on the story, but that's okay, because the story is rather complex (and hard to find at the start).
This review was different from the others, because of the whole 'day' thing. More of a story than a review, but it's still technically a review.

Onto the game itself;
thousands of bugs, but most of them are mutants.

samaugsch

Oct 13, 2010
sumguitardude said:
Caradinist said:
sumguitardude said:
Fallout 3 was shit and this game is shit, i agree completely with ur review
I mean come on they are using the same fucking graphics engine and it has more bugs inn it then a year old fish.
Care to explain why they are shit? Other than the bugs in the game that are fixed now?
Why i think it`s shit :

I bought fallout 3 when i got out becouse i thought i t looked good and it seemed like it was oblivion with guns in it.But after playing it for about an hour i traded it inn for another game.
Why you ask, becouse i thought the game was tedius, repetitive and just boring.
The fact you had to always empty ur items after collecting to much was an umberable chore.
And most of the characters in the game looked the same, the infinite traveling to one place to the other with no means of transportation and the horrible, horrible glitches also ruined it for me.
I liked the lock on system but that`s the only thing i liked about it.
Now if you like the game then good on ya mate, but me i rather eat sho polish then play it again.

And Las vegas is just the same as fallout 3, i mean come on they didn`t even bother by making the graphics better or sum other major improvement`s inn the game.
I hated the weight limit thing, too. Thankfully, I had it for the PC so I could use console commands to increase my pack by a ridiculous amount lol. Character design wasn't a concern to me at all, and I thought the fast travel helped with exploration. I didn't get too many glitches until I lvled up my guy a whole lot and had over 100000 lbs of junk in my pack, but I guess that's what I get for cheating :p. Though I will admit that it does get boring as soon as you explore every area. I also got New Vegas and was surprised by the differences from Fallout 3, as I also assumed it was going to be just like an expansion pack for Fallout 3 with a different campaign. Still, if you didn't like Fallout 3, you probably won't like Fallout New Vegas much, either.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Sansha said:
Whoa, chill it out. Who's e-peening? I'm saying Cazadors take huge damage when you nail them in the wings. Sometimes they even flip onto their backs when crippled. Like I said, they're more irritating than an actual threat. More of a waste of shotshells.

Anything's easy when you know how to deal with it... but really, get Dinner Bell and pretty much everything becomes trivial to kill.
You may not be actively e-peening, but disregarding an enemy that's a threat in the early game just because it's easy to kill a little later comes-off as very pompous. My post wasn't meant to say that the Cazador was the end-all be-all of New Vegas, I was simply pointing out that:

A) They are NOT just Bloatflies (which you seemed to think he was referring to).
B) They hit like a truck (which again, is based on Very Hard only experience, they might be wimps otherwise).
C) They require a pretty specific strategy (taking out the wings) to make them manageable.

I can certainly agree that they become easier later in the game, but later in the game wasn't the topic of discussion, thus it comes-off as pompous when you start going-on like you killed 50 of them in your sleep, at Level 1. With your bare fists.

Quorothorn

Apr 9, 2010
solidstatemind said:
Okay, you got me: I started out with a generalization. I should've said "it continues to shock me that some people take his opinion as being definitive..." I think the rest of my statement got the point I was trying to make across, however.
That is definitely true.

(Though I suppose it doesn't truly shock me because, well, this is the Internet and all. ^_^)

cybran

Jun 15, 2010
UberNoodle said:
I know that being negative about pretty much everything is his shtick, but I find myself tiring of it. I prefer AVGN so much more because whenhe rants and raves, the games really deserve it (in hindsight at least), where as ZP seems to massively magnify minor quibbles into problems that they're not. Vegas is so buggy, but there was very little said about this gold mine of comic and sarcastic material.
I totally agree, the humor and atmosphere in the game is really wakky and pretty damn good :)

Jorias

Dec 10, 2008
sorry if this has been said already, but i am not about to read thru 400+ posts. Anyway, I just wanted to say that i am actually glad that Ben's game froze, this shows just shitty Obsidian did, proving to all those assholes on different forums that i was right, the game is a piece of shit....Thanks Obsidian, for taking a cult hit (the 90's games tho) turning it into cold shit!

killswell

Aug 26, 2010
i'd like to comment on yahtzee's utter comical genius, despite lack of game review.. Gotta love those brits.

Roninraver

Dec 2, 2009
DarkRikku18 said:
Not going to lie, I definitely lost some respect for Yahtzee when he got annoyed over pop making him dehydrated. Since, you know, it really does dehydrate people.
This is false. Caffeine is a diuretic, yes. But you are not less hydrated after drinking coffee, tea, or cola than you were before having said drink; owing to the simple fact that there is water in all of those things and your body now has more water in it than before, even after processing the additives.

It would make more sense if Fallout: NV weighed hydration on a sliding scale. For example, a bottle of water gives +5 hydration, a soda gives you +3. But having soda actually cause a net LOSS in hydration is silly. It doesn't work that way.

mr_rubino

Sep 19, 2010
Watching it again, I can now speak to something that slipped by me:

I'm no athlete, but even I have always been told that drinking soda when dehydrated is only slightly better than drinking table salt. Yes it's water at its base, but there's a whole lot of stuff in it that makes it just about the worst thing you can drink if you need water, and can even make the effects worse. So a negative makes sense.

Roninraver said:
It doesn't work that way.
Nnnnnope. It works exactly that way.

EDIT: Are the Under-10-Posters (double meanings ftw) done making the same complaints seen weekly here at The Escapist yet?