Zero Punctuation: Fallout: New Vegas

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
ChupathingyX said:
Also a while ago Yahtzee complained about Red Dead Redemption and I clearly remember him writing in an Extra Punctuation article that RDR would've been a lot better if you had to eat and drink while in the desert. New Vegas does exactly that and now he's complaining about it?
Ah. Fourteen pages and you're the only one who made note of this. Good show, sir.

Indeed, Mr. Croshaw did suggest this very thing [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/extra-punctuation/7699-Extra-Punctuation-Red-Dead-Redemption] in his Extra Punctuation column.

Ben Croshaw said:
What it needed was a survival mechanic. On-screen meters for hunger, thirst and exhaustion, which constantly tick down as you adventure, requiring that you frequently eat, hydrate and camp out or hire a room for the night. Neglecting these stats worsens your aim, striking power and sprinting ability and decreases the size of your health bar, and may eventually cause you to pass out, at which point it's even odds whether a good samaritan finds you first or a mountain lion. Lose the insta-horse recall button and make it easier for a horse you're not riding to wander off, die or get nicked by opportunistic Mexicans.

Instantly, with the struggle of human existence reinstated, virtually every other mechanic is enriched. Money has more worth because of the appeal of softer beds, larger canteens and tastier food. Players would have to be sure they were properly equipped before heading out of town. For a game with a plot whose central theme seems to be "pretentious trappings of civilization versus harsh purity of the wilderness," it would be most fitting if the player had to ask themselves how much it would take for them to abandon civilization. How desperate will you need to be before you succumb to the wilderness yourself? Before the dog transmutes back into the wolf?

It starts with some pinching of pies from window sills when times are thrifty. Then one day a mountain lion bites your horse's throat out miles from anywhere and after a punishing few miles' walk under the baking sun it's simplicity itself to lasso a passing rider and run off with his mare. You're just doing what you have to do to survive, right? Before you know it you're holding up widows in the street. Evil gets easier and easier and the bounty on your head climbs higher and higher. Them high-and-mighty city folk just don't understand what it's like out here, gol durn it.
I am wondering if there is any difference between what he describes here and what's in New Vegas. Perhaps hardcore mode doesn't quite work like this or is sufficiently different that it doesn't have the "enriching' gameplay benefit described.

Or maybe it was just a dumb idea.

CielTynave

Nov 21, 2010
the antithesis said:
Or maybe it was just a dumb idea.
Pretty much that. Some comments on the EP article for RDR called bullshit right away, saying he'd just complain about it if the game did have those mechanics. Then NV comes and has them, and of course, that's exactly what happened.

samaugsch

Oct 13, 2010
the antithesis said:
ChupathingyX said:
Also a while ago Yahtzee complained about Red Dead Redemption and I clearly remember him writing in an Extra Punctuation article that RDR would've been a lot better if you had to eat and drink while in the desert. New Vegas does exactly that and now he's complaining about it?
Ah. Fourteen pages and you're the only one who made note of this. Good show, sir.

Indeed, Mr. Croshaw did suggest this very thing [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/extra-punctuation/7699-Extra-Punctuation-Red-Dead-Redemption] in his Extra Punctuation column.
I thought he just complained about soda dehydrating you.

Random7

Feb 8, 2010
Hey Yahtzee, I hope you're aware that pop actually dehydrates you which is why it does that. I don't think it is very fair to complain about a game for something that you weren't aware of.

Continuity

May 20, 2010
Sir John the Net Knight said:
There are three constants in man's life. Death, Taxes, and Bethesda games that will bug out and crash.
You're forgetting the fourth constant, smug gits (like me) who let everyone else do the beta testing and buy the GOTY edition in a sale with bundled DLC for £15 in a couple of years.

theif519

Jan 9, 2011
Fallout is my favorite Post-Apocalyptic series... oh wait, well, it's one of the only ones that can pull it off. I started with Fallout 3, then went back to play Fallout 1 and 2. I enjoyed 1 and 2's story line over 3, but 3 was more addicting and I beat 1 twice and 2 three times, while I thoroughly 3 over 8 times. New Vegas, on the other hand, has a lot to offer, and to be honest, if I was first introduced to New Vegas without all of the glitches, I would've not been able to play Fallout 3 at all. Fallout: New Vegas has an exciting story line and sub-quests. Finding the guy who killed you and all, it's pretty fun. Until you can't enter the Strip because of an infamous glitch which took me 2 weeks of having my auto-save deleted, only to find out that I needed to find an Old Cowboy Hat to enter... still, I'm still shocked that they released DLC without thoroughly patching New Vegas. Anyway, New Vegas got a 8/10 from me, and got 2 taken off for the excessive glitching and bugs.

Arren Kae

Nov 10, 2010
Hardcore mainly means you keep purified water stocked and drink it periodicalyl to keep from getting debuffed until you unlock an achievement at the end. Woop-de-doo. It makes combat a touch harder b/c companions can die and stimpacks heal over time instead of immediately. It's not that big a difference or challenge.

demon0n

Apr 10, 2011
KEM10 said:
Okysho said:
lol! It froze at the end. Well there's another game I don't have to be ashamed of not owning
Pick it up on Black Friday, by then they will have a good number of the bugs sorted out. But you noticed how his only criticisms were soda makes you dehydrated (it does) and it crashed. He had more anger when it came to Batman and he said that was one the better games he has picked up.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12187618

IT DOESN'T
Not sugar, not caffeine. And amount of them is so miserable, that it can't do any difference to watter balance. That makes you drink more and more (if you think that it's thirsty... but it's not, AND IT'S DEFINITELY NOT A DEHYDRATION - 2 different words!!!) is acid-sugar(+ some other stuff) combination: you can't drink enough, always want more and more.

Great review! It's not a game, it's a one big bug, no... it's a tons of bugs, big bugs.

Pvt Dylan

May 27, 2011
Yahtzee should totally recap the story of games! I understand that he did it because he was RPG-ing, but it was pretty friggin' funny!

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
This review pretty much explains why I love Fallout, he never really got too angry at it, the only real problem of course is all the damn glitches and freezing.