Zero Punctuation: Far Cry 2

StarryXNights

Dec 5, 2008
I pretty much agree with this review, I couldn't stand more than a few hours of it before turning off. What's that I hear in the background? Sirens? Oh noes Yahtzee has law troubles!

p1ne

Nov 20, 2007
Armitage Shanks said:
p1ne said:
Armitage Shanks said:
For me, the Apocalypse Now quote was the best part of the whole thing.
What part was that?

This was one of my favorite ZP reviews so far. As stable as a skateboard in a canoe, lol.

Good job Yahtzee.
"I wanted a mission, and for my sins, they gave me one."
Its Willards line at the start of the film. It appeared in this review in the very last frame, after the credits. Don't know why, but I just cracked up lol.
Ah, thanks! I should see that movie; I loved Heart of Darkness.

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
I take it back.

The first time I watched it, I couldn't watch it because I thought Yahtzee's voice was so outrageously terrible.

Then a friend explained to me why he made the accent, so I watched it again and thought it was hilarious! Good job, Ben! XD

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
Stammer said:
I take it back.

The first time I watched it, I couldn't watch it because I thought Yahtzee's voice was so outrageously terrible.

Then a friend explained to me why he made the accent, so I watched it again and thought it was hilarious!
It's been said alot in this thread (I imagine), but I can't take that accent. If it's revelant to something in game, I'll give Yatz props. But if Yatzee is just trying to pull off his down under version of a South African accent... well someone needs to insure it never happens again. :) (I havn't played FC, so I missed all points of relevance.)

boyitsme95

Feb 26, 2008
Great episode but I have to say the accent was rather strange. I watch Zero Punctuation for a man with a very distinct voice to insult a game and make hilarious comparisons while speaking really fast, and I was thrown by it changing. It was like watching a favorite musician play a song with someone else who sings an entirely different music genre. Once in a while the other person chimes in and it confuses you as to his purpose untill he stops and you go back to enjoying the song like it was crack or, if you prefer, Branston Pickle. If its supposed to be a gag on a South African accent, I didn't get it.
All jokes Ididn't get aside, great review and I couldn't agree more with what you said. Really, no matter what I just said I still loved it, and the accent didn't bother me all that much. I'm fine with it. It's your Zero Punctuation, and I'm just on for the ride and a t-shrit or two.

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
Firia said:
It's been said alot in this thread (I imagine), but I can't take that accent. If it's revelant to something in game, I'll give Yatz props. But if Yatzee is just trying to pull off his down under version of a South African accent... well someone needs to insure it never happens again. :) (I havn't played FC, so I missed all points of relevance.)
According to my friend, the whole deal was that the South Africans were all speaking a very stereotypic Australian. And apparently he did the accent spot-on.

You're right, the accent was a little over-the-top. But from my experiences with Zero Punctuation, his reviews are funniest when you've played the games. Otherwise you're just blankly nodding your head in false agreement.

Some of his reviews on games that I have played I didn't think were very good though. Namely his ones on Brawl and Spore. He got the mindset right, but he totally didn't even delve into the games and say what the real problems were. Both of those games have 100,000 flaws and all of his criticisms were centered around 1 or 2 of them.

LtSephiroth

Jan 18, 2009
This one was honestly too funny. I watched it wit a few buddies and we could not stop laughing. To top it off we were playing the game at the same time, and it is really clear just how true the things he says in this are.

Loved the accent too by the way, perfect job.

guyy

Mar 6, 2008
Yahtzee likes Doctor Who? For some reason that seems shocking. But not in a bad way.

mark_n_b

Mar 24, 2008
and if he was indeed faking another accent as a gag, he gets stupid points for:

1. failing to do a proper accent (that was an aussie accent, not a south african w/ british ancestry accent) I suppose he may have been making a gag about the aussie on safari stereotyped accent, but that is reaching a bit for a joke he is incapable of pulling off.

2. failing to use it in any meaningful or patterned manner.

I have never had any real notes on these reviews, they've generally been handled with artful skill, but taking a note from all the youtube imitators who put on faux brit accents is not what I'd describe as artful skill.

Which is why I am more inclined to believe this is showing an actual immersion based shift in speech. I would hate to think Croshaw handed us an unthoughtful crap joke in his weekly offering.

omega36

Jan 24, 2009
Hahaha! What a brillant review! It was spot on. Yahtzee's South African accent impression made it for me though (I am South African, living in Melbourne).

We've all been waiting for this review for a while... I knew Ben would rip on the South African accents :p

crystaltheron

Dec 27, 2008
o.0 What? it sounds different, either it is because I've been up too long (30 sum odd hours go work schedule, DnD and the Bioshock demo)or there really was an accent there other than the norm.

Looking forward to next week's game. Good luck Yahtzee

mkxiii

Aug 20, 2008
mark_n_b said:
and if he was indeed faking another accent as a gag, he gets stupid points for:

1. failing to do a proper accent (that was an aussie accent, not a south african w/ british ancestry accent) I suppose he may have been making a gag about the aussie on safari stereotyped accent, but that is reaching a bit for a joke he is incapable of pulling off.

2. failing to use it in any meaningful or patterned manner.

I have never had any real notes on these reviews, they've generally been handled with artful skill, but taking a note from all the youtube imitators who put on faux brit accents is not what I'd describe as artful skill.

Which is why I am more inclined to believe this is showing an actual immersion based shift in speech. I would hate to think Croshaw handed us an unthoughtful crap joke in his weekly offering.
as far as i could tell he was mocking the terrible accents in the game, as he says they have terrible south african accents at the point at which he starts using the accent, and just continues to use it throughout.

and in my opinion it sounded more south african then australian

P.S. i like how many people got banned for no reason at the start of this thread

TallArmyGuy

Jan 24, 2009
... ok so here i was wating to get to play this newest installment of Farcry and what the fuck happen to the storie its like the main action hero is taking a vacation and what the hell is up with the main bad guy helping you out ... i seen the out take by Yahtzee an his right on the money about all they wanna be sandboxes that leave you with a Huge nothing when it comes to a actual storieline or plot

Odoylerules360

We're all just folk now...
Aug 29, 2008
huh, I thought the game was just about shooting lots of colored people, like a humanized version of geometry wars.

craniifer

Jan 18, 2009
I found that a waste of my time save for the fact that I'm not the only one who sees that Dan Brown sucks.