Zero Punctuation: Far Cry 2

SpartanAssassin

Jan 21, 2009
Well either it was because I was using headphones or you are either deaf or stupid. Unless it was just the way I said it. Okay I will try it like this. Near then end of the video he started putting more emphasis on the end of the words, which made him sound like an Austrailian.

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
SpartanAssassin said:
Okay I will put it in a way you guys may have noiced instead since that one guy is so stupid. He started to change his voice at the end of the words which made him sound more Austrailian like, I guess you were too stupid to notice, I have very good hearing though so you might just be deaf or can't hear well.
You compound your folly.

The voice he is doing is not Australian, watch the video again and have a guess. I don't know where you live but I actually live in Australia so trust me when I say it is not an Australian accent.

It is South African, so don?t call me deaf and stupid when you can?t pick an accent.
EDIT: Triple post? It was only two a moment ago.

SpartanAssassin

Jan 21, 2009
Wrong again, and if you don't remember, Yahtzee lives in Australia, the voice might be starting to rub off on him. And my friend is African and he sounds nothing like that, not to mention that if you have heard African accents before that they sound nothing like that. So think again, his voice since he was born in Britain that it could be more of a British, Australian mixture.

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
SpartanAssassin said:
Wrong again, and if you don't remember, Yahtzee lives in Australia
So do I, its not Aussie.

And my friend is African and he sounds nothing like that,
South Africa, its a country.

not to mention that if you have heard African accents before that they sound nothing like that.
See above

So think again, his voice since he was born in Britain that it could be more of a British, Australian mixture.
He is making himself sound that way to make fun of the game, a persons voice doesnt change like that outside of puberty. It would be slower to change.

"Not unless you count a hilarious South African accent as mutation china"

^That is the first time he uses it, and he drops it after that sentence (uses it again later but whatever), go back and watch the video.

If you wish to continue this do it with messages, we are cloging up the thread.

ddog2177

Jan 27, 2009
Whats all this bloody talk about Australian accent. When he made this video he intended all of you to review, correct, Wine, and throw a pissy fit over how everything is wrong.
Not that I'm saying accent is a political debate or anything, but please can you talk about what the article is and not what it could be for the first brick shiting time.

vcordov6

Jan 28, 2009
I just have one extremely unimportant thing... when I began homeboy here (used to identify that I am a heathen American) aka Yahtzee was a British Born reviewer living in America. Now, I don't know about everyone else, but officially on this post the vowel structure of Yahtzees' voice has officially changed. British soft A's have turned into the bastard (this said knowing that my country is the queen bastard of all English speaking languages) Australian Eh's. I know it is completely unimportant, but I seriously listen to the first episode... Croshaw you've magically become an Aussie. Anywho, if you read our drivel, and I seriously doubt Croshaw actually reads our drivel, respond at [email protected]. It's my spam e-mail anyway so *big middle finger* to advertisements.

spam_word

Jan 27, 2009
it actually sounds more like a new zealand accent. ref. eagle vs. shark (it's a movie)

or listen to what the flight of the conchords sound like when they talk normally.

jonnythefox

Jan 28, 2009
Just wondering, how many Australian posters is it going to take most you of people to realise that it's a *Sewth Effrikan* accent, and not an *Awestrayleean* one?

See what I did there? That should clear things up.

PezQ

Jan 28, 2009
First time poster, Hi all.

It just saddens me to see how many idiots post on the forums. This whole accent thing is not rocket science you people ! - Why is it that SOME people ( Not everyone by any means) Don't get the whole South-African accent joke. Take for example SpartanAssasin: "Am I the only one who noticed he changed his voice to Austrailian at the end of the video." WHAT!? NO?! HE WAS DOING A CRAPPY SOUTH AFRICAN ACCENT!!

Look, English is not my mother tongue (obviously.) Now Finland, where im from, is faaaar away from Australia ( just about half away on the other side of the globe) OR South Africa but still i can spot the difference in British, Australian and South-African accents! Especially when it's mentioned it the video as a JOKE. Not that i need a fuckin' gold medal for it. So i guess i can understand if someone who's mother tongue is not English might get confuced of plain miss the joke. But what excuse does a native english speaker have? Other than stupidity or ignorance ?

Sorry about my BAD english and waayyy too long post.

awmperry

Geek of Guns and Games
Apr 30, 2008
Perhaps this will clarify, if anyone actually reads it (though past experience suggests not).

* Yahtzee is British, living in Australia (NOT America). That is as it has been all along.

* There is not one "African accent". Africa (the continent) is over three times as large as America (in the sense that it was mentioned above). America has many accents, but of course Africa has only one. Oh, wait...

* The accent heard throughout FC2 - and the accent, incidentally, that Yahtzee was emulating in the review - was a South African accent, derived from the Boers and their Afrikaans language, which is why there are elements of the accent that are vaguely reminiscent of Dutch.

* South African accents don't sound like Australian accents. Except when I do an Australian accent, in which case it sounds South African, or if I do a South African accent, in which case it sounds Welsh. But try not to worry too much about that.

* Yahtzee does not, judging by the review, have a cold.

Happy to help. ;-)

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Veteran_IV said:
Well I guess I'm not getting this game.

MB202 said:
coungar said:
Okay, had to register to say this:

I am stunned by the number of people here who failed to realise that Ben was doing a South African accent. It wasn't an "aussie/aboriginal" or a "new zealand" or a british accent. The game is set in SOUTH AFRICA. This is made very clear in his review and works really well for laughs.

I'm curious to know if the accent confusion is coming from U.S. viewers. I know you guys have a hard time recognising accents, which is why your films with "foreigners" always sound ridiculous. Or worse, you simply use American accents for other nationalities. Good recent example: am I supposed to believe Tom Cruise is GERMAN in Valkyrie? Bloody stupid.

/rant.

The South African accent was only obvious to me because of when it first appeared he was referencing how silly the accents were. I guess I don't know what an australian/british version of a South American accent would sound like because I'm a bloody stupid american, oh well, I guess I'll go kill myself because the rest of the world hates our kind. =( I don't think Tom Cruise could pull off a German accent if he tried, lawlz.

Could anyone else hear that siren in the background? If not, it must have someone who died in a fire or something at my house, too lazy to double check the vid, cuz I'm a bloody stupid American.
I remember him using the accent at first, but I didn't think much off it.

henrebotha

Jan 29, 2009
...May I just say that as a South African, I FUCKING LAUGHED MY ASS OFF at the "ah bloed poes hey" comment hovering above the South African mutant guy's head.

The accent wasn't brilliant but it was decent. I imagine that as a resident Australian, he bases the accent off of South Africans living there too, and that therefore of course his impression of our manner of speech would be coloured by the Australian accent.

But holy shit I laughed.

Safe-Keeper

May 7, 2008
I enjoyed the comments here more than I did the review. "OMG his accent r changed overnight wtf!1eleven". Wow. Just wow.

ZP---Fanatic

Dec 29, 2008
verd said:
Hmph. Expected Gears of War 2.
(To Verd)Be Happy,He's done it Now---(To Yahtzee) BTW dude Love Your Videos :D Liked The *Speaks Higher Tone* Hilarious Australian Accent And the Heat on ZEBRAS! xD