Zero Punctuation: Far Cry 2

Gormers1

Apr 9, 2008
I felt bad every time I hit an animal :(

Btw, his accent was hilarious. IMO this review is an improvement over some of his latest.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
I missed something in the review, connected with the "everyone hates you" thing; you're supposed to be in a war-torn country, but where's the war? Outside of some scripted thingies, everyone is busy hunting you down, outside the faction houses, where are the actual factions? The only thing I really hated though, were the mandatory medicine quests. Travel a long way, kill 3 guys, and you're done; yawn.
Apart from that, not saying that FC2 is a bad game, what there is is good; the shoot-outs are solid and intens (especially on Infamous), but there is too much of the same. Not enough gameplay variaty. Hence why I sometimes boot the game, do some random missions, have my cool-shoot-outs fix (especially going for a armsdealer quest, waiting for the circeling convoy to pop up and just see the RPG ripping up the truck in an awesome display of fire and debris, while survivors from the jeeps are being burned alive in the wildfire wich follows) and go play something else.
O and the Bear Grylls reference cracked me up.

SeaCalMaster

Jun 2, 2008
Decent review. I have two things to say:

1. While I appreciated the humor behind the accent and understood that it was supposed to be South African, my (few) South African friends don't sound anything like that. Honestly, it sounded closer to Australian to me, even though it didn't really sound Australian either. I haven't played the game; maybe it had bad accents, and maybe that's what Yahtzee is imitating.

2. Why was there a seemingly random flash of the UC Davis logo? This completely bewilders me.

CJ1145

Elite Member
Jan 6, 2009
Loved the review, Yahtzee, and I totally agree about the pointlessness on the missions, but the accent made me want to kill a bunny... or perhaps a zebra.

Repulsionary

Jan 21, 2009
JimmyBassatti said:
Repulsionary said:
Wow, people really don't pay attention to why he used the accent.
Anyway, it seems like everything he touches is pure gold. Since I've never played the game, I went and wiki'd the game, and honestly, Yahtzee's plot synopsis made more sense than the one I found.
I doubt I'll play it any time soon. Awesome review, again. They've become one of the highlights of my week.
How did his summary make sense more if you never even played the game?
If you have super powers to play a game without playing it ever, I want them.
The same way the summary on the back of a novel I've never read makes less sense than hearing about it from someone who's read it. The creators will always have some sense of bias, making their game sound better than it really is.

LordKraven

Dec 24, 2008
Nice shift in comments, I have only played the first far cry on xbox and it was ok, maybe. But I never really had a reason or urge to buy another one and now I have a good reason not to.

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
I wasn't a fan of the accent either. I felt that was the strongest point of the video. Althogh, Yahtzee does have a point. There are too many open world games and games where you create your own experience. I too wish there were more games where there's an already established experience that's fun and interesting. Games where you make your own stuff aren't my thing because some people aren't as clever as others and their efforts are average at best. And in some open world games, it sometimes takes forever to get to the best challanges the world has to offer, depending on how you explore.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
You know I think it says a lot when a "stupid, ignorant American" can figure out what the hell was with the accent instantly when it seems more than half the people watching this video couldn't.

He was making fun of the bad South African accents in the game, by doing an equally bad one. Note how he only started doing it after he introduced it while talking about South African accents as a "mutation"

Jeez. It's not rocket science/brain surgery/nuclear physics.

Anyway I liked the review. The Bear Grylls part made me laugh heartily.

Dorian

Jan 16, 2009
Is it just me, or does it sound like he's actually picking up the Australlian accent?

D_Sage44

Dec 10, 2008
Awsome, I actually ejoyed the sound and feel of the gunplay, thought it did that better then alot of games, it just missed on the whole continual variety and the vehicles in that game, ehhh

Another great critique Yhatzee

P.S. Yhatzee is not a reviewer, he is a critic, dont call them reveiws unless you want him to give you meaningless numbers =P