Zero Punctuation: Far Cry 2

CorpBlitz

Dec 15, 2008
Enlong said:
Huh... does Yahtzee have a cold or something, or was the change in accent a subtle joke that I failed to get?
He's doing the classic South African accent which really does sound like that. It's a bit exaggerated but it's fairly close to how South African people sound, English with a hint of Dutch :) The game does the exact same thing, the accents are a little over the top :)

Also I totally agree with the whole 'lost in game' kind of feel Farcry 2 has going, I'm a big fan of open ended games and I'm quite use to meandering story lines and I started to lose track of it as well. Then fallout 3 came out, I have not played Farcry 2 since then :)

Kelethor

Jun 24, 2008
as far as the review went it was a wonderfull cake of sarcasm and Zebra jokes, but I dont paticularly enjoy his accent for this episode, although I will still praobabply [ I no good at spelling] buy Farcry because I enjoy seeing very preety things.

Sveppi

Apr 6, 2008
That was probably IMO his best one ever. I couldn't stop laughing at the S-African accent :)

thatstheguy

Dec 27, 2008
I didn't realize that he had a South African accent at first so I thought Yahtzee was mocking us (as if he doesn't already do that). It made it hard to hear but oh well.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
What the Hell is wrong with Yahtzee's voice? It sounds weird in this video, almost like cockney...

And, in my opinion, it just sounds weird.

coungar

Jan 22, 2009
Okay, had to register to say this:

I am stunned by the number of people here who failed to realise that Ben was doing a South African accent. It wasn't an "aussie/aboriginal" or a "new zealand" or a british accent. The game is set in SOUTH AFRICA. This is made very clear in his review and works really well for laughs.

I'm curious to know if the accent confusion is coming from U.S. viewers. I know you guys have a hard time recognising accents, which is why your films with "foreigners" always sound ridiculous. Or worse, you simply use American accents for other nationalities. Good recent example: am I supposed to believe Tom Cruise is GERMAN in Valkyrie? Bloody stupid.

/rant.

Chickenlittle

Sep 4, 2008
Khada said:
holy shit the accent was funny.... sounds a bit Australian o_O
I dunno...it sounds like he tried to hard to make an accent stand out. Well, that worked. It stood out, and made me think he had a cold or something. He sounded really off.

ObadiahBlack

Sep 23, 2008
Glad to see I'm not the only one that thinks his accent is changing a bit. I mean, just a matter of time when you live in a foreign country anyway, isn't it, and you hear it every day? I want to go to Dublin now and pick up an Irish lilt.

Nov 15, 2007
He's spot on as usual. I really enjoyed the game for the first few hours, but ran out of enthusiasm long before the game ran out of samey missions. Apparently I should trade it in towards Saints Row 2.

Also, South Africans have the strangest accents of any English speaking people in the world, or at least the ones who speak English do.

DalekJaas

Dec 3, 2008
FAR CRY 2 is one of the best games I have ever played. The story was gripping and the environments varied and great on high detail. I never played the original far cry, but i thought i would get this and it was worth it.

Neurowaste

Apr 4, 2008
He was spot on on the repetitiveness, but hell, i can't help it, the game was goddamn fun. Gorgeous huge world, kickass weapons (AS50, eye sex) and lots of things to riddle with bullets. Now, this description might put me off as a "casual" gamer looking for no consistency, narrative or complexity. But, by god, it's fun to unwind once in a while and just KILL shit.

Soigieoto

Jan 15, 2009
it was an okay zero punctuation.

i think yahtzee should try lbp, resistance 2, and call of duty world at war.

he hasn't really done an actual ps3 exclusive review

Sackwak

Dec 20, 2007
Ben's becoming an Australian-British-South African

I felt the same way with Far Cry 2, just the same old drive here, kill/blow/burn this/them/him. After a couple of hours I just turned it off and havn't played it since