Zero Punctuation: Far Cry 2

Malkavian

Jan 22, 2009
I lol'ed.
People may be saying that the dear Yahtzee is loosing his edge, but I continue to find him incredibly amusing.

DanTheBigMan

Oct 18, 2008
Pyronox said:
Because quoting people stating a fact has nothing to do with game interest.

It's not the same game. I will try it out, so should you.
Neither does quoting someone quoting someone else, so I'm not going to waste my money. :)

FACT.50

Sep 12, 2007
Is it just me, or is (almost) everyone on The Escapist forums completely dense?

On every page there is like 20 people commenting on the accent in confusion, and one or two people pointing out why it is like that. How can a person possibly miss this unless they simply post without checking even the first two pages of comments!?

Seriously.. the accent was a joke. It was comically exaggerated to make it more effective. Oh and Far Cry 2 is not set in South Africa (the landscape looks more like East Africa), but some of the mercs you work for (and fight against) have cheesy Afrikaner accents.

Personally every time Ben shifted accents I guffawed. I thought it was great in a completely over the top way. Oh and the Mods vs. Rockers, and the South African police joke in the credits were my two other favorite parts of the video.

Far Cry 2 is a beautiful game (not just "good graphics", but jaw droppingly gorgeous graphics). The gameplay while repetitive never got old for me, until I hit the anti-climactic end, which made me actually pretty pissed I spent so much time getting to it. But while the ride lasted, I had a great time of it.

Overall I'd say this was the bet ZP I've seen in about 6 months. It was accurate, provided some review points and had clever humor. Good Job Ben.

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
Pyronox said:
Oh comon, about 90% of FPS's nowadays have leaning cut. The most recent game that had it that I played was Darkwatch (which was, yes, a console game).

Also, doesn't realism mean you're not playing a role-playing game where you fight mutant monsters from a reactor meltdown?

And besides, you die fast in real life... Yeah, you can die from bleedout from a shot to almost anywhere in your body.
Calling Stalker a roleplaying game is far from the truth. its a solid FPS with a few RPG elements. You cant level up and you dont have skilled areas. The only rpg elements are the inventory and small stat changing artifacts you normally forget about.
As for leaning. Yes that was rather amiss of me as most pc shooters dont have itand i was not aware of any console using it.

sessions

Dec 25, 2008
i was dissapointed i was expecting the word repetitive and boring a few times.
i didn't enjoy it as much as all the other ones.
i realy had my hopes up for this one.
i guess it's because i haven't played the first farcry.
and i am not south african but i think yahtzee actualy sounds australian in this episode.
then again, i am not australian either.

acebrainbuster

Oct 13, 2008
uhg... sandbox style games just aren't as good as they used to be SURE the were awsome, origenal, and full of enjoyment but nower days the adverage retard is able to create a sandbox game and he happens to be the tester so it always has ghood reviews until the fans get it then the nicely descuiesed game gets its face ripped off to for all to see what it is almost as if it were michel jackson when he was black and young he was the best anyone ever knew but as soon as the face ripping started he is now the butt of 12% of jokes in the world

Jinx_Dragon

Jan 19, 2009
I go around calling it GTA: Africa for a reason. It seems nothing more then a rip off of the GTA series with a much more open setting instead of a city filled of innocent civilians you could crush with your car. All the missions reminded me of that, dive here and kill this person, drive here and drop off this item, drive here and pick up that person.... ad infinitum.

Did anyone else get the feeling this game was racist though?

It was the only reason I could come up for why everyone and their grandmother wanted me to get intimate with their bullets! Right at the start you couldn't drive down the street without someone ramming you off the road for no apparent reason and then opening up with fully automatic gun fire. The only time this didn't happen was the cut screen event, where I can assume they where worried about offending that well liked black person whom drove you into the country. Soon as he vanished, your arse was theirs and not in a good way. All I could conclude it was because I was playing the Russian and like all good racists they where too stupid to realise that white doesn't automatic mean I was going to be an oppressive mother *removed* driven by some genocide urge to kill of all black people.

I didn't even get as far as Yatzee, the repetitive nature of the game bored the hell out of me within the first hour.

Farcry 2, one for the GTA label but with even less story line.

yoyoyo510

Jan 23, 2009
Great review as usual, actually... it seemed to be more positive at times than I thought it would be.

I actually just created an account to ask... Why the hell was there a seemingly random flashing of the UC Davis logo? When I was watching the review I thought I had some kind of "Big Brother" moment. Unbelievably, I was in the Davis library (I go to school there) at the time. I thought there was some kind of subliminal messaging going on for a minute.

Veteran_IV

Jan 23, 2009
Well I guess I'm not getting this game.

MB202 said:
coungar said:
Okay, had to register to say this:

I am stunned by the number of people here who failed to realise that Ben was doing a South African accent. It wasn't an "aussie/aboriginal" or a "new zealand" or a british accent. The game is set in SOUTH AFRICA. This is made very clear in his review and works really well for laughs.

I'm curious to know if the accent confusion is coming from U.S. viewers. I know you guys have a hard time recognising accents, which is why your films with "foreigners" always sound ridiculous. Or worse, you simply use American accents for other nationalities. Good recent example: am I supposed to believe Tom Cruise is GERMAN in Valkyrie? Bloody stupid.

/rant.

The South African accent was only obvious to me because of when it first appeared he was referencing how silly the accents were. I guess I don't know what an australian/british version of a South American accent would sound like because I'm a bloody stupid american, oh well, I guess I'll go kill myself because the rest of the world hates our kind. =( I don't think Tom Cruise could pull off a German accent if he tried, lawlz.

Could anyone else hear that siren in the background? If not, it must have someone who died in a fire or something at my house, too lazy to double check the vid, cuz I'm a bloody stupid American.

p1ne

Nov 20, 2007
Armitage Shanks said:
For me, the Apocalypse Now quote was the best part of the whole thing.
What part was that?

This was one of my favorite ZP reviews so far. As stable as a skateboard in a canoe, lol.

Good job Yahtzee.

Brett Alex

Jul 22, 2008
p1ne said:
Armitage Shanks said:
For me, the Apocalypse Now quote was the best part of the whole thing.
What part was that?

This was one of my favorite ZP reviews so far. As stable as a skateboard in a canoe, lol.

Good job Yahtzee.
"I wanted a mission, and for my sins, they gave me one."
Its Willards line at the start of the film. It appeared in this review in the very last frame, after the credits. Don't know why, but I just cracked up lol.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
It sounds like your doing a bad australian accent impersonation

like the canadians on south park or Canadian Bacon

Snake422

Feb 12, 2008
I actually love this game but Yahtzee made some good points I just wish Bear Grylls really was in it but maybe next time.

Arcane Azmadi

Jan 23, 2009
Enlong said:
Huh... does Yahtzee have a cold or something, or was the change in accent a subtle joke that I failed to get?
Dude, if you think that joke might have been "subtle" you need to get your sense of humour reevaluated.

That was a good one, as usual. So, Gears of War 2 next week then?