Zero Punctuation: Fez and I Am Alive

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Shame to hear about the survival game being shit. That looked pretty interesting when I first saw the trailers. Then it sort of dropped off the radar for ages, and now I discover it has been out for ages. What's with marketing? I've seen about 400 Max Payne 3 trailers before the game comes out, and hear absolutely nothing of this other one.

Still, there is hope yet. Sir, You Are Being Hunted [http://www.big-robot.com/2012/03/12/and-now-sir-you-are-being-hunted/] is in development, and that looks like its going to provide the survival fix I need. To those not in the know, its an indie game in the vein of STALKER, but set in the British countryside. The objective is to flee from tea-slurping, aristocratic androids with shotguns. Check that shit!

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
Frictionmakesfire said:
I'd really like to see a survival game that doesn't concern itself with story. I want a game that just dumps me in some sort of randomly generated hellscape and says "Now survive, you prick." Just make it about finding resources and not getting killed by bandits/mutants/zombies/reallypissedoffplants. Maybe the end goal could be to build some kind of self contained settlement or something. And once you do that, you just make a new game in a new randomly generated environment and start over.
That sounds like a niche Fallout 3 almost fills. I don't think you get to make a settlement or anything (which understanding from people who have played the game would have made use of all that excess stuff you get from stealing).

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
tbh, didn't notice Yahtzee was sick. Hope he gets better soon~.

Fez seems like a really fun game, and from what Yahtzee said about it it doesn't sound like all of its praise is entirely unwarranted. When I get around to it, I might pick it up seeing as how I could use a little break from being shot at.

As for I Am Alive, the sound of it just makes me think of Assassin's Creed's climbing system with New Vegas's Hardcore survival mechanic, which is kinda disappointing.

LordVyreth

Jan 22, 2010
I actually was pretty impressed with Yahtzee's indie cred when Knytt came up; especially if we assume Knytt Stories is included. That being said, I'd rather call Iji the king of indie games over Cave Story. Well, maybe Cave Story's the king and Iji's the queen, which technically makes more sense.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Thing about Fez is that it seems to take a whole lot of cues from a certain game that its lead designer thinks is crap. And I already own that game and don't particularly need to buy the puzzle-y version. That, and I'm not actually allowed to buy it - seriously people, why restrict your market to one DD service that only a fraction of people use?

Nemo Secrest

Mar 3, 2010
I would just like to quickly commend Benjamin "Yahtzee" Croshaw for managing to throw in a Tennis For Two reference. Great stuff.

Frictionmakesfire

Mar 25, 2012
Swifteye said:
Frictionmakesfire said:
I'd really like to see a survival game that doesn't concern itself with story. I want a game that just dumps me in some sort of randomly generated hellscape and says "Now survive, you prick." Just make it about finding resources and not getting killed by bandits/mutants/zombies/reallypissedoffplants. Maybe the end goal could be to build some kind of self contained settlement or something. And once you do that, you just make a new game in a new randomly generated environment and start over.
That sounds like a niche Fallout 3 almost fills. I don't think you get to make a settlement or anything (which understanding from people who have played the game would have made use of all that excess stuff you get from stealing).
Yea, sheer excess amount of stuff you get in Fallout 3 kind of takes the feeling out of the survival for me. And the fact that there's already an established world with vendors willing to sell you food and water and whatnot sort of kills it for me too.

ElectrifiedSorcerer

Apr 8, 2011
I am fairly impressed with Yahtzee's indie penis. Although I think he has all the cred he needs from being an indie developer himself.

I expected that if he ever did an I Am Alive review he would mention the fact that every fight was basically you scaring people until you could push them off a roof. Also, the fact that the same button is used to push people back, push them off the roof at some magical point and start an ineffective stabbing contest that would get their buddies to gang-murder you.

Very good points on the Fez review, that backtracking got to be too much and the warp gates hardly helped it. It would have been much easier if you could move between nodes automatically at some stage. As for the Echochrome similarity (the only game I acknowledge Fez actually being similar to) I can live with that considering I adored Echochrome and there's only one of it.

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
So basically, Fez is a great game despite Phil Fish being quite foolish and saying stupid, jerkish and ignorant things. Not to mention rude and socially shameful.

If it is anywhere near as good as Cave Story, it's an amazing game. I've been looking into it. Unfortunately, it's only for the XBOX so far. I've tended to ignore XBOX Live, except for buying shoot em' ups. I haven't used XBLA in a long, long time. Because I mostly just use my XBOX to play bullet hell shooters.

If it comes out for another platform, I'll probably get it.

nohorsetown

Dec 8, 2007
Frictionmakesfire said:
Minecraft's hardcore mode seems kinda close to what you're describing. Maybe? I dunno if it qualifies as a survival game, but I'm bad enough at it that I get seriously paranoid on hardcore difficulty (you only get one life).

efoolution

May 13, 2009
Wow, a Garfield-Comic reference in the end-titles ...

And I thought I was getting old alone.

Varitel

Jan 22, 2011
Entertaining as always. Whether I agree or not with anything he said about those games, I don't know since I haven't played either one. It also doesn't matter because he's just so damned funny. I do fervently disagree about one thing however. Oscilloscopes are too still relevant!

lapan

Jan 23, 2009
Frictionmakesfire said:
I saw a video about an ARMA 2 mod called Day Z yesterday which seems to be pretty much this. You are dumped on an island in a Zombie-apocalypse, you have to find food and water to stay alive, if you die it's permadeath and you can be killed by the other players at all times too if they feel like robbing or just murdering you.

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
Ahhh damn, Yahtzee... I was eating when I watched this. :/ Put me off my food.

*om nom nom*

CaptDom

Jul 15, 2009
Quaidis said:
I feel for you, Yahtzee. Tonsillitis is not fun at all, with exception to Vicodin and popcycles.

Time to take a worthwhile go at those two games. I somehow never heard of them before. I wonder what variety of rock I've been sleeping under recently was.
POPCYCLES!??!! WOOT!

no release for dates for PC yet, but patience or a second hand console some years from now will do just as well. If only either of these would be worth the wait. That's if second hand games aren't banned or voided by then...

Also, if it's not [tt][spam removed][/tt] I'm not interested.

So there.

Nothing to cause any grief with ya post. Hadta cite ya for popcycles though. Respect. I can only even imagine
They probably does so worth a look an all like, I'll bet, but I'll be really way far too busy playing [tt] [STOP SPAMMING] [/tt] to even.

*hurriedly tabs back into [tt] [WITH THE SPAMMING ALREADY?] [/tt]

sky14kemea said:
Ahhh damn, Yahtzee... I was eating when I watched this. :/ Put me off my food.

*om nom nom*
A nice selection of fine cheeses and human tonsils perhaps. I'm assured the cheeses are quite ripe and the tonsils are veritably festering with disease.
And perhaps a nice port?