Zero Punctuation: FIFA 13

charliesbass

Feb 22, 2012
ExtraDebit said:
charliesbass said:
Wow. He's never reviewed a Fifa game before, despite their immense popularity.
By your logic since smoking cigarette is so popular I should inhale that poison in my lungs too?
Well no, I'm not saying that every one SHOULD review this stupid franchise, I'm saying that I'm surprised he hasn't reviewed it because it's extremely popular. When FIFA 12 and 11 and 10 were insanely popular, he didn't even acknowledge it. It's like he just walked pass a dead baby on the street without even looking at it, or acknowledging it's existence. I'm not saying everyone HAS to acknowledge it, just that I'm surprised he hasn't. I'm sure (hardly) reviewing this game was largely attributed to peer pressure.

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
*Loves stealth games*
*Hates everything that was released this week*
So, Australia hasn't got "Dishonored" yet, I'll wager...
Oh well, next week maybe...

Johnlives

Dec 6, 2009
Seems to me Yahtzee's is after some free Snicker. So when can we expect the Pro Evo review?

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Didn't Yahtzee mention that he sleep sin a hammock attacked to two naked ladies at the Escapist Expo?

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
This kind of embedded advertisement makes the videos screw up. It doesn't work right. Stop doing it.

C117

Aug 14, 2009
Hmm... well I do like Shank and Shank 2, and recently I've found myself getting quiet a bit into stealth games (Dishonored, Metal Gear Solid 3, Thief, etc.), so... yeah, I think I'll give Mark of the Ninja a try. I've just got to wait for the damned thing to get available on Windows (it is slated for October 16, but I'm not gonna jump with joy until I can actually play it).

On an aside note, I was actually so intrigued by Yahtzee's wonderful review of FIFA 13, that I actually went out and bought me my very first football game.

Of course, the game in question was Super Mario Super Strikers, but still...

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
Bang, pretty damn accurate review of Fifa that's for damn sure. Nailed my sense of excitement for the game at the very least.

Okysho

Sep 12, 2010
At least it wasn't madden...

Somewhat on the topic of sports games, I had someone in an EB try to justify to me how all the new NHL games are different from the old NHL games. Their only argument was "It feels more realistic than the last game" Hilarity ensued...

On topic...

Tokyo jungle sounds like fun, like the creature phase from spore, but less annoying

Jezzer

Mar 23, 2011
razer17 said:
And to all the hilarious people saying "what else is their to say about a sports game?" Please be quiet. You could say the same thing about any genre "oh, no point reviewing FPS's it's all just shooting guys in the face, what else is their to say" "Why bother reviewing Starcraft 2? It's just moving soldiers from one place to another and watching them fight" etc. etc.
By all means, enlighten us on all the exciting new features that set FIFA '13 apart from its predecessors and keep it from being a glorified full price EP.

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
Jezzer said:
razer17 said:
And to all the hilarious people saying "what else is their to say about a sports game?" Please be quiet. You could say the same thing about any genre "oh, no point reviewing FPS's it's all just shooting guys in the face, what else is their to say" "Why bother reviewing Starcraft 2? It's just moving soldiers from one place to another and watching them fight" etc. etc.
By all means, enlighten us on all the exciting new features that set FIFA '13 apart from its predecessors and keep it from being a glorified full price EP.
To use an analogy I used earlier in this thread, Fifa 11 to Fifa 12 was like going from CoD 3 to CoD 4. It's still the same genre, but it's completely different.

To be honest, I have no real desire to explain all this again to someone who just likes bagging on sports games because they don't play them, but on the off-chance that you actually want to know as opposed to just being hilariously snarky, I'll give it a whirl (again).

I am not saying that every iteration of Fifa is like a brand new game, it's not. Fifa particularly stagnated between around 2004-2008, where only minor alteations where made between versions. However, in the last 3 or 4 iterations, substantial changes to the game have been made. The rules of football haven't changed, but the game of Fifa has.

It is quite hard to describe the changes and how they impact the game to someone who doesn't play them. Fifa 12 completely re-invented how you defend, which changed the tactics and how you play. It also completely changed the physics to a more realistic model. I, and many of my friends that play it, had to basically re-learn how to play the game going from 11 to 12. Physics changes may not sound like much, but the physics essentially ARE the game here. In a shooter a new physics model usually just makes it look better. In Fifa it drastically affects the way that the game plays.

Going on to 13 from 12, they made several new changes. Firstly they ironed out a few niggling issues, but that's a given. They increased the attacking AI, which, if you played 12 and understood how it worked, makes a pretty big impact on the game. It also improved the physics, and the most important tweak is in regards to how the ball works. Whereas previously the ball was basically like a magnet, where it would stick to players feet and was basically predertimed what would happen as soon as you pressed a button, it now acts on it's own. This has the add-on effect of making players feel much more differrent to each other now, as the player stats have an effect on how they handle the ball etc. again, this adds to the tactical side of the game, and makes it more realistic.

I can see why people say they don't change between iterations, because if you don't play it you probably can't tell, but in reality it just changes in a different way to other games. Some games will have a new story to tell, characters to show off and different maps, new units or items, but the gameplay itself doesn't evolve that much. Football obviously doesn't have a story so it relies on gameplay changes.

So when you go from, say Assassin's Cred 2 to Brotherhood, although the gameplay is pretty much unaltered, you don't notice, or don't care, because there's a new story to tackle, a few more items to play with. With Fifa it will basically always look the same, even if it's not.