Zero Punctuation: Fuse

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
This is the first Zero Punctuation I've laughed at in a while, with the big strong white guy's "meeeeh-meeeh-meh" noise and Yahtzee's reaction to remembering Clive Barker's Clive Barkder's Jericho (by Clive Barker).

IkeGreil29

Jul 25, 2010
Trishbot said:
...like what happened when Microsoft nabbed RARE and we got Grabbed by the Ghoulies.
Was I really the only person along with my brother that really enjoyed that game? It's no hallmark of excellence, but it was fun and different!

OT:
Yeah... run of the mill cover based shooter. Again. It's really disappointing how a genre that began fresh and exciting this generation is ending horribly overdone and bland instead of producing revolutionary ideas. I loved the idea of finally being able to actually get to cover instead of staring directly at a grey wall for a while until I get my health back/the enemy begins to reload. Meh.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Oh god... I just thought about Clive Barker's: Jericho too. God damn you!! It's like a Vietnam flashback.

OT: I was interested when this was Overstrike. I am not interested in Fuse.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
Overstrike looked fun, reminded me of the incredibles which is a good thing, such a shame that all energy and life seemed to have been removed, I?m going to assume ea is to blame.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
What the fuck happened to you this generation, Insomniac? You used to be such a suave devil, and now you're just some game company that I used to know.
I think they went down in quality after A Crack in Time. Probably didn't really know what to do.

OT: I have to say that I loved Insomniac back in the day, but now I feel myself going back to Naughty Dog. I loved A Crack in Time and if the series ended with that one then I'd have accepted it since all series must eventually end. But it honestly just seems like they are trying too hard to be like the other "mainstream" games. Insomniac to me always made amazing single player games that would have me laughing and would keep me entertained, but now they are just focusing on multiplayer which I find is sad since they don't seem to make games with very good multiplayer in it. (Deadlocked is the exception in this)

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
I think the consensus in the other thread about Overstrike vs Fuse was that; OS had character. Fuse apparently gave up that character to play it safe. I know preview videos are supposed to look dynamic and stylish, but OS characters looked less generic. Not just clothing, but body shapes. Trying to look realistic isn't a requirement for a good game. But none the less OS is dead, Fuse rose from the ashes and fizzled. Shame that.

insanelich

Reportable Offender
Sep 3, 2008
Insomniac Games, huh?

Well, explains why they made this game.

I started yawning three minutes into the review, so... good job, I suppose?

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
So... it's a generic, half-assed shooter involving four people fighting against people with guns.

I think I'll stick to Borderlands. At least it makes me laugh.

Hutzpah Chicken

Mar 13, 2012
DVS BSTrD said:
I must applaud Insomniac: even with all the character's heads cut off, somehow they still managed to...

*puts on sunglasses*

... Blow a Fuse
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-q96sipMz39w/TevmNexZUAI/AAAAAAAAAJM/3HE_p4BXjr8/s1600/cookie.jpg

Here is a cookie that you definitely earned.

This game can't compare to Borderlands as you can not be the conductor of the poop train in Fuse.

NezumiiroKitsune

Mar 29, 2008
Resistance 3 is alright you say? Well I played the first two, and it can't be too expensive now. Thanks for the recommendation.

Insomniac made another sub-par game? What? I don't understand you. Do you mean "Insomniac are working hard on their next SINGLE PLAYER CANON SEQUEL FOR CONSOLE Ratchet and Clank installment?" Is that what you meant? Probably. That's good to know.

*quiet sobbing*

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Devoneaux said:
Casual Shinji said:
What the fuck happened to you this generation, Insomniac? You used to be such a suave devil, and now you're just some game company that I used to know.
Insomiac is to game development what M. Shyamalamalan is to movies, made one or two good games, but when called to do something new they fuck it up each and every time.
Well that's a bit harsh. I mean Insomniac made three terrific Spyro games and three terrific Ratchet and Clank games. Tools of Destruction and A Crack in Time had their merrits, too. So they're fine in that regard.

It's their baffling attempts to break into the gritty shooter world that has made them lose sight of where their true talents lie. Or maybe all that talent is simply all gone now.

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
gyrobot said:
Have anyone here played the game before making a judgement?
I've completed it on Co-op on the hardest difficulty at a friend's house. It's bland and samey, with crazy impossible level architecture and oddly out of place 'humor' from when it was a much funnier game.

It's also laughably easy with 2+ people, we killed the final boss on the first attempt only dying a total of 4 times through the entire playthrough.

The mechanics themselves are pretty cool though I guess, I enjoyed a lot of the minute to minute combat. And it doesn't have many missions but at least takes longer to complete than CoD and has a competent (if easy) survival mode thing.

Honestly I think Yahtzee was pretty spot on, and I enjoyed playing the game.

Aircross

Jun 16, 2011

Soulful, humorous, life, personality.

Dead, empty, brown, emotionless.

A lot sure happened in a short amount of time.

kogane

Apr 11, 2009
This is pretty much the same impression I got form playing the demo. (I was actually considering buying this game, because a) couch co-op! and b) TWO female playable characters, but this way we'll at least get to replay Borderlands (2) yet again.)

Quiotu

Mar 7, 2008
Johnson McGee said:
Insomniac, how do you go from Spyro and Ratchet and Clank to... this?
I think it has to do with the directions their two rivals/buddies took. Insomniac, Naughty Dog, and Sucker Punch all started from the same era, in the same neighborhood, making the same kind of games with slight differences. Then they all took different directions. Insomniac made a shooter with R&C guns in Resistance, Naughty Dog took Tomb Raider in positive directions for once and made Uncharted, and Sucker Punch somehow made a superhero game that wasn't ass and made inFAMOUS.

Insomniac just didn't see the success the other two were getting, so tried to get it back by pandering to the R&C crowd again. It worked, just not enough for them... Naughty Dog and Sucker Punch found their niche and made bank off of it, and Insomniac wanted to be just as successful. So they tried cheating the system by making games from now on that require up to 4 players to play correctly.

Problem is no one wants to do that... not in a R&C game, and certainly not in a bland shooter. Insomniac insists on staying in a genre they seem to have no fucking clue how to make. And that's sad, because I don't want to see them go under... you almost want to see Naughty Dog and Sucker Punch visit them and have an intervention.