Zero Punctuation: Gears of War 3

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Wow,he really tore apart this game which wasn't surprising.

Got a few chuckles out of it which made my day a bit better.

Thank you for that Mr.Croshaw.

Dalek Caan

Pro-Dalek, Anti-You
Feb 12, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
I don't think anybody buys Gears for the single player.

I bought it so I can chainsaw the shit out of high pitched American teenagers.
I do. I dislike multiplayer because every match just turns into a giant shotgun orgy within a second of the match starting. Funny video as always. Although my one gripe is that in the game no one ever mentioned the planet would explode. They only said everyone would be fucked, not exploded.

Lucyfer86

Jun 30, 2011
Von Strimmer said:
JackandTom said:
It seems to be an extremely unpopular opinion, but I really enjoy the plot of Gears Of War and I wanted to know what happened. I also did in fact buy Gears 3 for the campaign.
Seems we are a rare breed my friend. I thought the story line was great. The voice acting was something that stuck with me the whole way through aswell. I suspect the reason there are very few Gears supporters on here right now is because they are on their consoles playing it right now and HAVING FUN.
Well here's one more, absolutely loved the story, gameplay, voice acting, and even the brown/gray graphics (GoW 1, anyone?).

Mutak

Oct 29, 2009
Speaking of using meta-game knowledge to deduce plot points...didn't everyone who played Deus Ex intuitively know that Adam's ex was still alive as soon as they saw that there were no romance-ish dialogue options with the pilot?

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
No mention of Hoard or Beast? Oh well, but damn I never seen so much... dislike for Gears 3 here.

I always thought it had a neutral reaction, sure you got a few haters but not all at once like I'm reading here. Not to say everyone is wrong or is at fault, but I kind of bothers me in a way.

Then again I'm a loyal fan. Story is actually good(though yes its very confusing to newcomers) and I still consider its cover system to be the best. And I fucking love the multiplayer.

chstens

Apr 14, 2009
If you complimented the story I would say you were completely out of your mind, the game is entirely about chainsawing aliens and dudes shouting and whining in a "manly way". With that said, I am glad they replaced Dom with Billy Mays, though.

Sudenak

Mar 31, 2011
It boggles the mind that this game has any fans.

I watched my roommate play while I was cooking dinner. He was at some part where they were fighting some big monster (I'm sure this is vague enough to not require a spoiler, as I imagine there were plenty of big monsters). Every second or third hit he would fall down, limping away, waiting for someone to pick him up. The repetitive battle theme in the background would have put Quest 64 to shame. Their terrible, guttural voices barking out "manly" lines grated against my ears. When I finished cooking dinner, he was still fighting the same big monster. When I finished eating, nearly thirty minutes later, he was done.

Granted, my forays into shooters in general have been limited, with Heretic being my shining example of a great, fun shooter. Is this....is this abomination considered good? With the awkward, clunky chest-high walls everywhere, the hilariously disproportionate bodies, the clunky manly-man dialogue...is this good? There was some multiplayer thing where he played as the bad guys, and 60% of the fight was reduced to him breaking down fences so he could kill stupid AI.

Is this fun?

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
sravankb said:
"I cannot understand how people can like this over Hard Reset"

o·pin·ion

1. A view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.
2. The beliefs or views of a large number or majority of people about a particular thing.

There you go, Mr. Croshaw. Glad I could be of service.
That wouldn't, in fact, enlighten him. He can know people have their own opinions, but that doesn't mean he'll understand it.

Same as how I don't understand how CoD games are so popular. I know they are popular, but they are generic as hell.

Nov 12, 2010
I am tired too of being told that story doesn't matter in games. Of course it bloody matters, it's what stays with you after you've finished it!

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
I liked the comment about thinking you accidentally put the TV on a wider setting. There are a few spots where the male character's sizes are just weird, like Cole picking up a trashball helmet and his hand is nearly the same size as the helmet, and that part at the end that was mentioned in the video where Marcus' hand is about 3 times bigger than Anya's hand. A little creepy there.

Djinn8 said:
Gears retcons the previous game with each release
No it doesn't.

rollerfox88 said:
I bought this because my brothers both have it, and now that we live at opposite ends of the country its nice to have something to play online together. I think its a competent enough game, if thats what you like. That said, I have the following problems (spoilers will literally ruin the "story" for anyone that hasnt played it yet...) -

(2) Why was Baird not court marshalled for destroying the ship? Shooting that big thing in the face seemed to be doing the job.

On top of these specific problems, the game really doesnt carry through any ideas it starts. Without going into any more detail, it just cant carry a consistent tone, with regards to the characters motivations, the story, even the setting. Gameplay-wise, fine, but not worth the paper the original story was written on.
So I guess you missed the blatantly obvious part where there is no government anymore, huh?

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
*yawns* This episode was as predictable as Bioshock 2's, picking on all the obvious stuff and not including any real original criticisms.

The story was pretty 'meh' as was Gears of War 2's, but to be honest, I have always liked Gears for the setting and the style as opposed to the finer plot points.

I agree that Gears of War 3 had a rather forgettable plot, and the inclusion of the new characters was somewhat pointless seeing as they have nothing to give in regards to the story.

Gears of War 3 excels in it's multiplayer, which is good in that it is great fun, but bad in that I was hoping they might have tried a bit harder for the seasons finale. It is a setting with great potential.

What Gears of War needs is for the game-play to be produced by Epic, and the story to be written by a company like Bethesda, Valve or Bioware.

LordXel

Sep 25, 2010
I do like Gears of War, even if the first one is the only one I played. Still I love it when Yahtzee rips apart games I love. I can remember why Yahtzee liked Gears 2. There are no quick time events, oh wait there is one, a little one, I guess that means he hated it then. XD

mb16

make cupcakes not bombs
Sep 14, 2008
I got gears 3 as my friends kept saying how great it was. So i went into town about one day and got back with gears at about 2pm. By 2:10pm i had got bored and by 6pm i had finished the entire game. I then tried the versus/horde/other thing and found them all dull as well despite my friends having the time of their lives.

what you do in gears 3
1: start mission
2: hold "A" to run, keep running until enemies spawn
3: tap "A" to get into cover then hold "LT"+"RT" in the general direction of the bad guys
4: hold "RT" until the bad guys stop moving
5: wait for the useless chat between character to end (normally consists of "SHUT UP, lets move!!")
6: go back to stage 2

"OH NOES! the world is in danger! you will have to go grunt at it"

Tontomanzz

Apr 29, 2010
You do realize his whole thing is he's a nitpicker. Even games he really likes he'll make negative comments about.

You've got a hundred other reviewers all saying the same good things about a game, he's one who'll say what's wrong with it. Even the games with big money behind it, big enough to get free passes on lots of big name reviewers.

Warbandit

Nov 13, 2009
Lordofthesuplex said:
I'm conflicted with this review. On one hand, I really do not care for the Gears series despite the usual chainsaw + voice work by John DiMaggio = Awesome theory I employ. And even then that's being extremely nice to this series. (Probably nicer than I should be)

But on the other hand, I still wanna smack Yahtzee upside the head for that whole comment towards the people saying "the plot doesn't matter" because that just further gives me the impression that he's becoming more and more pretentious with each review. It's like he expects compelling story telling with everything he reviews.

Granted there are some FPSs with good storylines like Bioshock for example but c'mon, Gears of War is full of big muscle-bound guys tearing monsters apart with chainsaw guns. I really do not expect that quality of plot from a game like that. Besides, you can have the greatest story for a game in the world and yet if the gameplay falls flat, it'll be wasted potential.
So it's pretentious to have a standard for more than just gameplay?