Zero Punctuation: Gears of War 3

newdarkcloud

Aug 2, 2010
Lordofthesuplex said:
I'm conflicted with this review. On one hand, I really do not care for the Gears series despite the usual chainsaw + voice work by John DiMaggio = Awesome theory I employ. And even then that's being extremely nice to this series. (Probably nicer than I should be)

But on the other hand, I still wanna smack Yahtzee upside the head for that whole comment towards the people saying "the plot doesn't matter" because that just further gives me the impression that he's becoming more and more pretentious with each review. It's like he expects compelling story telling with everything he reviews.

Granted there are some FPSs with good storylines like Bioshock for example but c'mon, Gears of War is full of big muscle-bound guys tearing monsters apart with chainsaw guns. I really do not expect that quality of plot from a game like that. Besides, you can have the greatest story for a game in the world and yet if the gameplay falls flat, it'll be wasted potential.
That was more of a preemptive response to Gears fans. He's saying that if he said the plot was good, no one else would ever mention it. But if he said it was bad, that the fanboys would be all over him.

blackdwarf

Jun 7, 2010
meh, i enjoyed it. i always enjoyed the story of gears of war on a ironic way. it is not really bad story, but the characters are enjoyable. although this game had more plotholes then the previous games. nothing is explained and it just expect you've read the books. with MP and the 2 waves i find this 60 euro well spend.

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
Ralen-Sharr said:
this episode is extra hilarious...

harping on fanboys that hard just made me lol
It's funny because it's true. The fanboys would brag whenever what they like is praised and carpet bomb anyone who doesn't like it with denial and swear words.

OT:Great episode as usual,it's nice to see a game you hate come around the bend once and a while.

JSRT

Oct 5, 2011
Jezzascmezza said:
Harsh review, but then again, it is a brown space marine shooter filled with chest high walls, 3 of Yahtzee's pet peeves...
Yeah except for the part about Gear 3 being a "brown shooter" (seriously did you people even look at this game?) and having "space marines" ( Cogs are not marines, the game doesn't take place in space, the locusts are not aliens etc) but it does have chext high walls so thats one thing.

JackandTom

Nov 17, 2010
Von Strimmer said:
JackandTom said:
It seems to be an extremely unpopular opinion, but I really enjoy the plot of Gears Of War and I wanted to know what happened. I also did in fact buy Gears 3 for the campaign.
Seems we are a rare breed my friend. I thought the story line was great. The voice acting was something that stuck with me the whole way through aswell. I suspect the reason there are very few Gears supporters on here right now is because they are on their consoles playing it right now and HAVING FUN.
Well, thank god i'm not alone! I think you suspected right. TO THE XBOX!

Hybridwolf

Aug 14, 2009
The story isthe biggest disapointment. It at least kept it linear and coherant for the last two, and the first actually felt reasonable as a story. This one however has a catch. It was (At least according to someone who read the books I know) made by the author of the book series. That is fucking stupid. It assumes you've read the book before it which explains everything, who the deus ex machima are at the end, why certain characters survive etc. I didn't, and neither had anyone I played it with. Whole sections of the story too felt pointless, like the fuel depot, characters where thrown away quicker then you could say celebrity cameo and the ending was a punch to the face and a kick to the nuts.

And yet...It's still one of the best games I've played for awhile. Why? Mutiplayer. Now they have dedicated servers, the game feels excellent. Sure sawn off's and a ridiculous medal system makes it less awesome, but it's still damn good fun, and refreshing after all this FPS garbage. And since BF3 is now codified....

Tontomanzz

Apr 29, 2010
remnant_phoenix said:
If you're a teacher in the States, you know exactly what I'm talking about.
remnant_phoenix said:
Princess Rose said:
If you rip on America's shitty educational system next, you'll have hit the trifecta of things I hate. ^^ Horrah!

(and no hate on any other Teachers here - I lament the fact that we're expected to work miracles with a budget that couldn't buy used chewing gum)
...If you're a teacher in the States, you know exactly what I'm talking about.
You should watch the movie "greatest movie ever sold". At the end where he has to advertise the movie he's making, he goes to schools selling their school spaces (walls, fences etc.) as advertising space to make ends meet. That was an OMG moment. I had heard it was bad down there (from your northern neighbour), but I had no idea.

JSRT

Oct 5, 2011
sravankb said:
1. The planet's gonna "explode". Don't know where he got that from.

2. "Were the lambent introduced in the earlier games?" Yes, all the way back in Gears 1.

3. "Was Anya there in the games before this one?" Again, back in GoW1.

Yup, he's definitely qualified to criticize the story aspect of the game (of all the fucking things to talk about in a Gears game).

Mind you, I did like Yahtzee's earlier reviews, where he actually knew what he's talking about, but his constant negativity is just getting stale at this point. His act of not liking anything is just plain boring now.

And yes, it is an act. Let's face that fact. No one who complains about games to this extent can also say that he likes them as an art form.
This.

He complains about not knowing what's going on, yet it's clear he wasn't paying attention anyway. He had no real points to bash the gameplay other than "it doesn't bring anything new", lol i can say that about 99.9% of the sequels mad this gen, last gen and gens before it. I enjoy Yatzee's reviews because they are amusing and usually he is right on the money even when criticizing games that i do like ( like Uncharted and Halo Reach) but this one was just...off. I get that he hates Gears but he had no real valid complaints against it, that was clear when right that the top of his review he insulted the fan base of the series.

Pyramid Head

Jun 19, 2011
I remember at one point i was having problems choosing which shooter i wanted. I was torn between Vanquish, a.k.a VanQuish, a spelling style i avoid because it reminds me of VanDread, and Gears of War 2. I remember the GoW2 review being kinder than some others because it was good for a mainstream title, but then i played Gears 1 with a friend and was immediately turned off by how clunky the controls were and went for Vanquish.

I think the reason the world is exploding is because Sega made a good game for once. By comparison at least...

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Well seems he didn't like the game.
But I'd love to play the game nonetheless. Sure, it has a shakey camera when you run, and the main character isn't very original, but screw it, i wanna play a big tough guy with a god-damn chainsaw/machine gun, ripping aliens into two.
Sadly i don't have the necessary console (tho yes, i know GoW1 is on the PC).

Johnmcl7

Nov 27, 2007
I'm a bit confused about the part about the planet being blown up as that wasn't part of GoW3 or the previous games either?

I wouldn't expect any mention of multiplayer in the review but I'm surprised there's little mention of it in the comments with the focus on the single player. I bought the game primarily for Horde mode which seems to have been given most of the attention along with the addition of beast mode. In that regard I'm not disappointed as the Horde mode has a reasonable variety of enemies and the various base building options give plenty of scope for different strategies.

My main complaints with the game are that the matchmaking system doesn't seem to work very well as it takes a long time to find a game and match up players then tends to go wrong when the host quits either killing the game entirely or setting you back multiple waves and removing all the fortifications. Also the game format doesn't seem to work too well with randoms as potentially the games are very long and there's no option to drop into an existing game with randoms so ultimately I find you hit one bad wave and one person quits which then causes other people to quit as the reduced numbers make the wave harder just as the waves themselves are already becoming more difficult. Which is a shame because the game does work well as it encourages teamwork by rewarding players for killing enemies and also for building fortifications which ensures people don't hoard money for themselves.

Beast mode corrects some of these complaints as the games are just 12 waves and over in a reasonable amount of time plus it's entertaining being able to control the various Locust enemies who are extremely varied although I generally still prefer Horde mode.

John

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
rollerfox88 said:
(1) You start the game on a ship, because every human city is now destroyed. Then the ship gets destroyed and you spend the rest of the game in all the human cities. Like Anvil Gate, where the old chief of the COG is in command. Whut?
(2) Why was Baird not court marshalled for destroying the ship? Shooting that big thing in the face seemed to be doing the job.
(3) Why did they even bother putting Carmine in? He had zero personality, unlike his brothers, and was just generally a waste of space.
(4) Why does Myrrah not just kill Marcus, if hes such a problem? She sends all her lackeys, hangs around for minute, then just decides theyve probs got it and flys away on her near invincible beetle.
(5) What was the deal with fuel? First, they smash the tanker up so its no good anymore, but then they get fuel from the big boss man of ash city, but then by the time they get to the submarine, need to get some fuel. What happened to the fuel they got already?!
(6) Why did Dom blow himself up. There were grenades everywhere, so I suppose he was just suicidal, even though he barely ever mentions his wife, and even after visiting her grave cracks jokes immediately afterwards.
(7) How did the Locust invade Asura? It was impenetrable, hence the submarine, but they had control of it before you got there.
(8) Is "a neutron bomb without the blast" not, in fact, nothing? Or radiation, which is still a lot easier to say?
(9) Why did the Locust even attack in the first place? The government were in contact with them before E-Day, surely they could have just divvied up the surface rather than fight a never-ending war?
(10)Did every Locust die? Where they all affected? Because Myrrah wasnt. So is the problem really solved?
(11) Is it just America (sorry, Sera) having problems with the bad guys? Because the helicopter at the end seems OK, dispatched presumably from some city somewhere.
(12) At the end, the professor is trying to save the Locust too, they are victims in his eyes. But when he sends you a message at the start, he says the Locust are trying to use his weapon to kill all the humans, which he never mentions again. Which one is it, Fenix?

On top of these specific problems, the game really doesnt carry through any ideas it starts. Without going into any more detail, it just cant carry a consistent tone, with regards to the characters motivations, the story, even the setting. Gameplay-wise, fine, but not worth the paper the original story was written on.
About 95% of the problems with the Gears 3 story are directly attributable to Karen Traviss.

Y'see, sometime around the second game, when they decided they loved that spinoff dollar, they needed Gears novels, so they needed a writer. Not being frustrated SF/F writers themselves (like, say Drew Karpyshyn) they had to hire one, so they decided to go for someone already used to working with established franchises.

Not being very clever about the whole thing, but knowing that she gets seriously moist for super special super awesome special forces types who are Just Better than everyone else (the size of fridges or not), they got Star Wars EU writer Karen Traviss, universally derided as among the worst, if not the worst, writer ever to break Star Wars (seriously, if you thought George Lucas could fuck up Star Wars you ain't seen nothin' compared to some of the EU).

So, all those times in Gears of War 3 where something or someone suddenly appears or undergoes a complete change of character with absolutely no setup in the games? It's in one of her fanfiction novels.

Likewise, all those things that were set up in the previous games but weren't explained in this one (what the Sires were, what Myrrah really is, the actual motives of the Locust, for instance), all shuffled off to the novels and comics.

It's basically the exact way not to expand your fictional universe into derivative media, because the overwhelming majority will not have read the books (3 million people bought Gears 3 over it's first week, I'd be surprised if more than 5% of them had read any of the books)

Also, the last 5% was broken by the dumbass decision to end the game with an "all your problems go away" button. After two games where unleashing that kind of superweapon made things worse and left humanity even more doomed pulling a 180 for a completely undramatic Voyager Ending was fuckwitted.

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
JackandTom said:
Von Strimmer said:
JackandTom said:
It seems to be an extremely unpopular opinion, but I really enjoy the plot of Gears Of War and I wanted to know what happened. I also did in fact buy Gears 3 for the campaign.
Seems we are a rare breed my friend. I thought the story line was great. The voice acting was something that stuck with me the whole way through aswell. I suspect the reason there are very few Gears supporters on here right now is because they are on their consoles playing it right now and HAVING FUN.
Well, thank god i'm not alone! I think you suspected right. TO THE XBOX!
As a PC gamer, I've only played GoW 1, but I think I see the problem with at least the voice acting. The problem is Gears of War's voice directors subscribe to what I call the Steve Blum Method. Steve Blum is a great voice actor (I mean, come on, Bulletstorm), but he is forced into the same Sausage Fest Marine Voice every damned game. That's what happened with Gears of War and its voice actors. Everyone talks in the same style of voice, and the only major different character in GoW1 (Out of the main ones) was Cole Train, who was pretty much a stereotypical black 'roidmonkey on even more steroids. I'M THE COLE TRAIN, *****!

It's hard to get emotion and anything decent conveyed when everyone's grunting like they've got a bus stuck up their backside.

CriticalQuit

Jun 16, 2009
WaitWHAT said:
Thank god he finally went for the fanboys! Seriously, fanboys claim that people who like Yahtzee take his word as gospel truth, but ironically, seem to be the ones who use his words to back their arguements most!
Though a lot of people trust his judgment, including myself, I don't always. yes, I got Saints Row 2 because of him, and I loved it, but I also really liked Mirror's Edge, a game he found to be rather terrible, albeit unique.

Gardenclaw

Jul 12, 2009
There seems to be alot of hate in the replies from people who haven't even played the game??? Well i've played all three gears games and quite enjoyed them. Yes the plots a bit lacking in originality and the characters are big burly space marines. But you get some weapons and some bad guys and you shoot the shit out of them, blow them up and chainsaw them to bits. Thought it was a good fun way of unwinding. It's by no means perfect but i don't think i've ever played a game that is. If i want to sit watching something with a massively intricate plot where i don't get to shoot anything I'll watch a film or read a book. I like my games dumb and I like my games shooty. Gears of war 3 provides both of these things in droves.

Britisheagle

May 21, 2009
Full of good lines but being a huge Gears fan I couldn't help but disagree.

Loved the game personally as well as thinking that the plot since the first game is brilliant. Linear story telling but I think that I enjoyed it more due to reading the books giving the characters more depth and personality. Albeit the sacrifice was pretty unneccesary.

Opinions I suppose, as I know many people who aren't into the Gears of War games.