Zero Punctuation: Ghostbusters: The Video Game

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
ninjajoeman said:
iamq said:
Knew you would complain about the AI. Although is there any game except Left 4 Dead where you cannot complain about the AI?
wait isnt the ai always jumping infront of your bullets in left 4 dead... there's one
I've acually never had that issue.

Cyrax023

Jun 27, 2009
did he say "Zef"?

shit ------bad ------meh ------good ------AWESOME!!!!!
_____________________^_____________________
__________________new review________________

SaneIntolerant

Jan 21, 2008
I had no problem with Ghostbusters outside of some lip sync and framerate issues. I honestly can't bring myself to see where Yahtzee is coming from in this case.

Lord Doom

Aug 7, 2008
I found the game was really great. The only time the proton pack took up the whole screen is when you wrangle a ghost online. And the only problems with the AI I had is they would run off after ghosts making it hard to find them when they get knocked down and in the final battle, the boss kept attacking me after I was down, so the Ghostbusters were taken down one by one as they tried to revive me. I hope the next review is on Overlord 2.

PrototypeC

Apr 19, 2009
You know what? I never thought I'd be saying this, but I think this review was pretty terrible. Like always he has some good points, but he just can't seem to get off that tangent about sucking balls/dicks/who knows what else.

We get it, Yahtzee, the game is a big whack-off session. No really, our pea-brained minds may have gleaned at least that much from the review during the first couple of minutes. To be honest, I don't like the game either, but the gems in this review are hard to find. I'd say he may be losing his touch, but it would have to be more than one crap review in a row for even the jumpiest anti-fan to grab on and say Yahtzee's through. And what was that analogy about a pimp, anyway? The sound in this one was kind of fuzzy, I couldn't hear it.

Frankydee

Mar 25, 2009
Saw this one coming.

Movie to game adaptions always seemed terrible.

Superman 64 anyone?

Rajin Cajun

Sep 12, 2008
Mr.Pandah said:
Can't say that I agree with him on any of this. Didn't even laugh once during his review unfortunately. Oh well. Most of his reviews are really hit-or-miss anyways. I honestly couldn't help but smile through about the first 2 hours of the game because of how awesome it was seeing all of the characters and locales again. But this is what the game was aiming for. To pull on our nostalgia-strings that still remained from the movies.

Call me a sucker for games like these, but I think it was a pretty good game. Too short though in my opinion.
I agree completely. I was giddy as hell playing through the whole game and felt disappointed when it ended. I really enjoyed it and yes the AI was a little weak but that never detracted from the game enough for me to complain. I just enjoyed it for what it was.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
I was holding out for this game being good, till they released it with no fucking PC multiplayer.... This just makes me happy seeing it mocked. :)

Jennacide

Dec 6, 2007
For once I think Yahtzee may of been too harsh. The game is passable. Far from perfect, but accepting that it's based on a movie franchise and isn't a steaming pile is good enough to not be an abomination. There are some definite issues, like the blind siding and your mates have NO health, but part of that is because the ghosts do way more damage than they should. I swear they accidently pulled a DMC3 on us and each mode is actually one level higher than it should be.* In particular the last level has ghosts that attack in swarms, are very accurate, two shot you, and only Ray is there to back you up. Oh, and Peter and Zedmore just watch like MORONS.

* = For those that didn't know, DMC3's NA release was 'bugged' in that our hard mode was Dante Must Die from the Japanese version, our normal was thier hard, etc. Nice going Capcom.

willgreg123

Aug 4, 2008
I know this is going to come as a wild-ass, bug-beatin', pinata-breaking, baboon's-butt surprise to all ya'll, but I think Yahtzee was a too mean in this one.

--- Elaboration ---
Oh sure, that's his job as a critique, but this review came off as more petty then the usual reviews. Am I the only one seeing him getting more and more irritable as more of these reviews come out? I mean, he's always been the anti-social asshole we all know and love, but now he seems to be getting worked up over nothing. Then again, I'm probably just speaking out of disappointment. I haven't played this game, nor am I compelled too, but I thought there was a good chance he'd like it. Now that I think about it, he did give a thumbs up to Infamous and Prototype (kinda) so maybe he's not being as hyper critical as I think he is.

And I liked Ghostbusters 2, it had some very memorable scenes. Though, admittedly, memorable isn't a exclusive quality to good movies. Snakes on a Plane had one memorable scene, as did 300, that doesn't make them good movies.

Wandrecanada

Oct 3, 2008
Stewie Plisken said:
. He has a history of giving any kind of character driven game a bad review based on the story telling flavor alone. I've found most games he reviews in a good light to be games that throw story out the window in favor of mindless shooting or jumping (Painkiller, Infamous, yadda yadda...). This is not a bad thing it's just a taste thing. You can pretty much tell exactly how the game review will progress based entirely on the above. Find a game with zero plot and you'll find a game that is already half the prefect game for a Zero Punctuation review.
Ehm... aren't Silent Hill 2 and Portal in his "top 3" list?
I'm pretty sure you just made my point for me. Character driven stories are not his type of game. That means the story is driven forward by the characters personalities and how they react to events around them. Video games are terribly hard vehicles for Character Driven stories simply because the main characters are often the focus. They are controlled by the player who's random actions are incredibly hard to predict unless your game is on rails.

Ghostbusters is unique in it's approach to the story simply because it puts you in the perspective of someone who is not the main protagonist. You are simply another character, there along for the ride, observing the real heroes of the story. It's actually pretty smart and prevents pollution of a beloved character from player shenanigans. It would be like playing an Indiana Jones game where you play beside him rather than AS him. Let's the characters be who they are and lets you be there to watch every moment of their awesomeness.

willgreg123

Aug 4, 2008
Satoz said:
*gasp* another negative review? you dont say? Meh I dunno, the game didn't seem that bad in the little I played of it the other day, the lines were cheesy, but the good kind of cheesy that makes you laugh, not the kind that makes you feel embarrassed. The combat makes sense, and they added different firing modes and ways of managing enemies, you can scan ghosts and use that tracker device all adding to the feel of the movie. The scenes though linked to the movies were fun, and really bring you back to when Ghostbusters was king, but whatever I say play it for yourself potential buyers. Of course I never take your reviews seriously, just like you never read these posts, but its still funny and that's all I really care about.
Wow, it's reassuring to see there are others who share my opinion. I don't take them seriously at all either, but I did feel this review was hyper critical and petty by normal standerds (as I wrote about earlier on this page). It's refreshing to see constructive comments like this, even if Yahtzee will never ever read them. That's why I tend to write them with Yahtzee in the third person.