Zero Punctuation: Ghostbusters: The Video Game

whaleswiththumbs

Feb 13, 2009
Mr.Pandah said:
whaleswiththumbs said:
Hmm.. i thought yahtzee would like the game, then again he probably thought I wouldn't think that, so we are all equally suprised.

Amazingly I have never seen all of any of the movies, only about 3 min from the 3rd one. it was decent 3 minutes, but I could have spent them better.

I was listening to the theme song during this review.
Sorry for double post...but 3 minutes from the 3rd one? The 3rd one is possibly in production right now. They don't even know if they want to make it yet.
Thats how little I saw of it. idk which one it was, i thought there was a 3rd one. ehh w/e still like'd my imaginary 3 minutes of the possible future.

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
Completed it and thought it was a very entertaining game. I also grew up with in the 80s when the Ghostbusters were huge, so I'm sure that helped.

Ilerion

Jun 10, 2009
He pretty much hit it spot on.

Ghostbusters is 'fun' just because you get a proton pack and can blow sh@# up! But all the problems he listed are there:

1. wacky script with lame comedy (and Bill Murray just doesn't seem to have any emotion in the character, like in the movies)

2. the "retard round up". Seriously the lamest part of the damn game - running around picking up your AI buddies cause they can't dodge. On top of that, if you get knocked down, you're stuck there until one of them decides to help you out (which can take awhile). And then there's the situation where if you are knocked down and your teammate picks you up, then suddenly they get knocked down, so you pick him up and get knocked down in the process, etc etc etc.. there are several times that can happen and it just sucks. Sometimes the easiest way to win a boss battle, is to just run around picking people up and dodging attacks - never firing. What makes it worst is you can only take like 2 or 3 hits after getting up from a knockdown.. and if there's 4 ghosts throwing junk at you, you go down fast.

I made the mistake of buying this game. This is definitely a RENT game! I know that, now I've completed it, I probably won't play it again since it has low replay value. (HOWEVER, I never messed with multiplayer.. so maybe I should give that a try before boxing it for good)

Teh_Doomage

Jan 11, 2009
I have completed the game, on Professional, and while the only valid point he is the AI can be a little annoying at times, the rest of his "review" was just someone saying he didn't like Ghostbusters in the first place. It is definately one of the better movie tie-in games, and so far one of the better games of this year.

Yes, I am a fan of the movies, that's why I was lured to it the first place. Good game, good story, lots of proper fan service.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
"...because those smart-arses get knocked over more often than a subbuteo player mouthing off to his pimp"
It took me a second... then I creased myself laughing.
Classic.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
Azhrarn-101 said:
Stabby Joe said:
So far critics are in the 70s range, which given all the hype (with reason this time, actors and all), it should have been better...

...meh, BTW which version was reviewed? I know they're the same (Wii not counting naturally) but for some reason many places don't get the 360 version right now.
That would be because for Europe atleast Sony does the publishing and they made it a timed exclusive for the PS3. So the DS, Wii, 360 and PC version of the game won't be available for a few more months while Sony tries to milk the franchise for all it's worth.
Won't make much of a difference, I've heard too many people complaining they'll have to wait, having owned the other consoles so theres only so many PS3 users in Europe...

minarri

Dec 31, 2008
Yahtzee won't be reading this but I still feel compelled to share my opinion: the last few reviews sucked. Either he's slipping or he's gotten too lazy to think of amusing metaphors, and things have descended into purely bad taste.

I'm going to watch an older review to amuse myself, because this one certainly wasn't very funny.

Wounded Melody

Jan 19, 2009
Bill Murray is *far* too big a star to bother actually putting effort into video game voice acting XD
I thought this ZP was excellent as (most) always; so what if he bashed the game, if you like it, yay for you.
I'm a little sad tho that I am old enough to have been alive when the movie was released in theaters :/

Crl81

Jul 8, 2009
I loved the review! I must disagree with how bad the game was, but then again I am a Ghostbusters fanboy. I even enjoyed the second movie. Again though I really enjoyed the review!

CaptainCalvin

Jun 7, 2009
I was getting worried about you Yahtzee, but you've turned around. Good stuff in this review, it was funny and i didn't get the impression that you were descending into madness, unlike your last couple of reviews.

Wounded Melody

Jan 19, 2009
GIdub said:
"...because those smart-arses get knocked over more often than a subbuteo player mouthing off to his pimp"
It took me a second... then I creased myself laughing.
Classic.
I had to look up what a subbuteo player is ><;

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
You know Yahtzee, I had a vision of you complaining about most of that stuff. However I didn't find it that bad. Granted I only played it on 'casual', so maybe some of that stuff is worse on the higher difficulties. Even so, my biggest complaint is the shortness of the game, other then that I enjoyed the whole experience.

ThatJagoGuy

Feb 11, 2009
I... didn't laugh... not even a smirk. Hrrm. Either I'm getting jaded, or these reviews are getting less inspired.

Might give Ghostbusters a look when it goes budget.

xopher

Mar 16, 2009
I expected as much. Movie games usually suck big time and I wasn't expecting Ghost busters to be any good either.

Stewie Plisken

Jan 3, 2009
I'm pretty sure you just made my point for me. Character driven stories are not his type of game.
I'm pretty sure I didn't. Silent Hill 2 is character driven. Ghostbusters isn't; the only thing it does is treat the player as a movie-goer, put him into a seat and ask him to observe. I don't know if it's unique, but it doesn't qualify as character-driven.

Teh_Doomage

Jan 11, 2009
It just saddens me that people take any and all reviews as, this is how it is, buy or don't buy. It's one review in a sea of them(if you look). This one mostly negative, about points that were the whole reason a lot of people liked it, the cheesiness for one. But I've seen many people not willing to give the game a chance, even for a rental, or the old Gamestop, buy used, return it within a week trick. Form your own opinions people.

hoskie

Dec 14, 2008
The gameplay problems Yahtzee mentions are all there (e.g. crappy AI, chaos-on-screen, etc.) but I would still say that Ghostbusters is a good game.

My friends and I ended up playing it for HOURS this past weekend and while it is by no means perfect, it's undeniably entertaining (particularly for Ghostbusters fans - you can't get much better fan service!). :p

Worth a rental at the very least.