Zero Punctuation: Ghostbusters: The Video Game

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Can't say that I agree with him on any of this. Didn't even laugh once during his review unfortunately. Oh well. Most of his reviews are really hit-or-miss anyways. I honestly couldn't help but smile through about the first 2 hours of the game because of how awesome it was seeing all of the characters and locales again. But this is what the game was aiming for. To pull on our nostalgia-strings that still remained from the movies.

Call me a sucker for games like these, but I think it was a pretty good game. Too short though in my opinion.

ReverseEngineered

Raving Lunatic
Apr 30, 2008
Hilarious review this week, Yahtzee. The last few have seemed like a bit of a bore, but this week you were fiery, angry, and made several good jokes along the way. One line I found especially funny was the "retard round-up" and the subsequent analogy to spinning plates in a mosh pit. The line where you started saying the gameplay made up for it was also great.

Good to see you back in form. Well done.

Kyndranigar

Jun 17, 2009
Necrith said:
games need to stop doing stuff like "press X to revive your partner"
starting to hate it on the same level as quick time events
Naturally the next step in crappy gaming is Quick-Time revive your partner sequences. Press X to listen for a heartbeat, press Y to start defibrilation, tap the right trigger to prime the current while getting ready to hit the left to apply the shock. Oh the fun we'll have.

On the topic of the review, I was excited to see he was reviewing it and saddened he didn't like it more. Of course the zappy lazers are hard to control, that was how the movies presented them. Surprised he didn't rant about the other weapons, leading me to believe he didn't play the game enough to get any of them. One would think he'd either enjoy or hate using the slime tether to pull things all over the place.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
whaleswiththumbs said:
Hmm.. i thought yahtzee would like the game, then again he probably thought I wouldn't think that, so we are all equally suprised.

Amazingly I have never seen all of any of the movies, only about 3 min from the 3rd one. it was decent 3 minutes, but I could have spent them better.

I was listening to the theme song during this review.
Sorry for double post...but 3 minutes from the 3rd one? The 3rd one is possibly in production right now. They don't even know if they want to make it yet.

ReverseEngineered

Raving Lunatic
Apr 30, 2008
The Great JT said:
Personally, Ghostbusters looked like everything I'd hoped for on paper, writing by the real writers, all the Ghostbusters in the game, but why do we have to play as some nameless newbie?! What happened to playing as the four main characters?
That's a damn good question. Thinking back to games like The Simpsons, half of the fun was playing as your favorite character -- it was a fantasy kind of thing, where you get to be somebody else, somebody you look up to.

Nowadays, video games insist on having you play as either yourself or a complete nobody (like yourself) who suddenly becomes a hero.

Seriously, if I'm going to play a repetitive game that feels like Groundhog Day, the least you could let me do is pretend to be Bill Murray.

Stylish_Robot

Dec 29, 2008
Kyndranigar said:
Necrith said:
games need to stop doing stuff like "press X to revive your partner"
starting to hate it on the same level as quick time events
Naturally the next step in crappy gaming is Quick-Time revive your partner sequences. Press X to listen for a heartbeat, press Y to start defibrilation, tap the right trigger to prime the current while getting ready to hit the left to apply the shock. Oh the fun we'll have.

On the topic of the review, I was excited to see he was reviewing it and saddened he didn't like it more. Of course the zappy lazers are hard to control, that was how the movies presented them. Surprised he didn't rant about the other weapons, leading me to believe he didn't play the game enough to get any of them. One would think he'd either enjoy or hate using the slime tether to pull things all over the place.
now some ass game developer will read that and go "hey yeah! we'll put that in our new game"

spikevamp

Dec 25, 2008
Good review as always, I thought the game itself was a wee bit shorter than it should have been but meh, that's just my opinion lol

bodyklok

Feb 17, 2008
Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
Edit: Does this mean he is finally going to review Red faction next?
I sure hope so, I've already ordered that game and it should be getting here soon.

The_root_of_all_evil said:
Hrmmmmm... rubbish him for stamping on Ghostbusters being like the movie (Well DUH!)

or gleefully praise him for stomping on Doctor Who's writing.

Meh, you win this time, Yahtzee, this time.
I thought you really like Doctor Who?

Meh, anyway on-topic. That was another great review Yahtzee, reminds me of the older ones. I especially liked the joke at the end about sausage makers.

Azhrarn-101

Jul 15, 2008
Stabby Joe said:
So far critics are in the 70s range, which given all the hype (with reason this time, actors and all), it should have been better...

...meh, BTW which version was reviewed? I know they're the same (Wii not counting naturally) but for some reason many places don't get the 360 version right now.
That would be because for Europe atleast Sony does the publishing and they made it a timed exclusive for the PS3. So the DS, Wii, 360 and PC version of the game won't be available for a few more months while Sony tries to milk the franchise for all it's worth.

Bernzz

Assumed Lurker
Legacy
Mar 27, 2009
Country
Australia
Chiefmon said:
crazyhaircut94 said:
I sort of saw this coming. Him reviewing the game, and sawing it to little ectoplasmic pieces.
Then he eats the ectoplasmic pieces and shits them out into a woodchipper.

P.S. I <3 Golden Sun!
Same here. I can't wait for Golden Sun 3 on the DS.

Mutough

Apr 5, 2009
I enjoyed, but disagreed with your review. I thought the game was one of the better games this year (seeing what's come out, that's not a stretch) and maybe I liked it because I could see what was going on fine (mainly because some things weren't nearly as offensively orange as the Proton Streams) and because I'm a huge Ghostbusters fan. To each his own, though. I'd rather disagree with Yahtzee than hear him talk about how great a game is, causing a time rift. Once is enough.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Did you catch that he hates the new Star Trek movie? That kind of wrecked his credibility for me. I haven't seen it yet, but this is the first time I've heard someone say it ruined the franchise.

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
I would be watching this if it wasn't for the fact that the Escapist doesn't want me to watch any videos today...

It doesn't matter which video I choose to watch, it won't let me.
Won't even load the part of the site with the videos on it...

Feb 13, 2008
bodyklok said:
I thought you really like Doctor Who?
I do, but given the new series has everyone going "ZOMG! UR SO CUTE ^_^!!!", you'd think that at least someone reacted normally. Perhaps that's due to an untalented hack [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell_T_Davies] writing it most of the time.

But there will be Moffat soon.