Zero Punctuation: Grand Theft Auto 5

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
Barciad said:
I think comparisons, not just with Saints Row IV, but also Skyrim are in order. Just how does one make games this big both balanced and with tightness and direction?
You don't. You keep them separate. Consider SR4 for a moment (yeah I know blasphemy favoring SR4 for the "golden child" GTA, but bear with me). The story has no impact on the open world aspect apart from giving you more NPC allies. The sidequests are simply city takeover aspects grouped together and give rewards. The only mixing is that some weapons and most powers come from story progression but your basic sets are given pretty early on and can easily allow you to do what you want without an issue. The story doesn't affect the open world part and vice versa. It's when you try to combine the two that you have problems because they are two opposing playstyles so pushing for one means sacrificing another.

Saidan

Aug 22, 2013
Nice review, agreed that the plot is almost non-existent here. And brace yourself Yahtzee, fanboy rage is coming...

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
I knew that Yahtzee would give this game at least some semblance of a paddling, but I am the sort of person that judges a game based on it's lowest scoring review.

Also, no point in giving Yahtzee a flameshield, his apathy towards responses is strong enough to withstand several nuclear warheads' worth of flame.

Mahoshonen

Jul 28, 2008
Akichi Daikashima said:
I knew that Yahtzee would give this game at least some semblance of a paddling, but I am the sort of person that judges a game based on it's lowest scoring review.

Also, no point in giving Yahtzee a flameshield, his apathy towards responses is strong enough to withstand several nuclear warheads' worth of flame.
Well, we may get another Mailbag showdown. That would be fun.

DVS BSTrD said:
Funny how people keep going on about in coming fanboy rage, but it seems like they're all still trying to connect to GTA online.
Give them time. It took like 3 pages for that one Critical Miss comic to really get going.

OuendanCyrus

Jun 16, 2010
I have yet to hear a reasonable response when I ask people why they enjoy the GTA series, the most common thing I hear is "You can steal cars and shoot people." either they're very easily impressed/amused, or they have the mind of a teenager, or both. I'm sorry, but it takes more than that for me to enjoy a game. I don't hate sandbox games, Just Cause 2 kept me entertained for a very long time, and although I didn't like Red Dead Redemption that much, I still find the amount of stuff you can do in that game staggering. GTA V just feels... lacking, it's certainly not as brilliant as many people make it out to be.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
PunkRex said:
I shouldn't have laughed at that soilder joke as much as I did...
Don't feel too bad. I laughed pretty hard at it too. Guess we're both sharing a seat on the bus ride to Hell. ^^;

EDIT: Kinda sucks we have to wait 2 weeks to get our Yahtzee fix. At least we should get some videos on the Expo real soon.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
It's interesting how when Yahtzee doesn't want to like a game, he brings up plot points that he doesn't particularly like and focuses on them. He did the same thing with the Last of Us.

Honestly, I miss the days when Zero Punctuation was about criticizing games due to actual issues with the gameplay and mechanics. There was hardly a word here about the gameplay itself. Yeah, the planes handle poorly but that's all that I got from this review. It really just seems lazy to me and an attempt to run against the mainstream. It's like he watched some character footage on YouTube and based the entire video on that.

I mean seriously, let's do a play-by-play. The first 45 seconds is complaining about the advertising. Then he complains about the fact that it's named GTA V even though there are more than 5 games, a joke he's made several times already about the same series. Then he complains about GTA IV. Next he describes the characters, saying they're all poorly written but gives no actual examples of them being poorly written other then that Franklin is whiny and misinterpreting Michael's overall character. After that he brings up the problem of linearity within the mission structure and the poor flight controls which I definitely agree with. The rest of the review he talks about not being able to play online yet and then saying it was ok but not great. That's just simply weak criticism and it's really disappointing.

I would have respected it a lot more if he brought up the fact that the traffic AI is pretty bad and the gunplay feels sticky and weird or maybe the brought up the texture popping and characters and cars randomly disappearing. But as far as I'm concerned there's no actual evidence that he even played the game.

I truly don't have a problem with people disliking what I don't like. Metal Gear Solid is a favorite of mine and I didn't have a problem with his MGS4 review. I also like Dead Space, Gears of War, and Borderlands. My problem is when the criticism isn't well thought out.

ImBigBob said:
Yeah, I knew you were going to hate it. Further justification for me to not buy it! Plus I still need to get Saints Row 4.
I can tell you firsthand that Saints Row 4 is absolute garbage and not even accidentally good. It's not even a matter of opinion. It's glitchy, boring, has absolutely no sense of pacing, most of the content is literally copy-pasted from Saints Row 3, the missions are insultingly easy, and the superpowers simply break the game.

ImBigBob

Dec 24, 2008
ProfessorLayton said:
It's interesting how when Yahtzee doesn't want to like a game, he brings up plot points that he doesn't particularly like and focuses on them. He did the same thing with the Last of Us.

Honestly, I miss the days when Zero Punctuation was about criticizing games due to actual issues with the gameplay and mechanics. There was hardly a word here about the gameplay itself. Yeah, the planes handle poorly but that's all that I got from this review. It really just seems lazy to me and an attempt to run against the mainstream. It's like he watched some character footage on YouTube and based the entire video on that.

ImBigBob said:
Yeah, I knew you were going to hate it. Further justification for me to not buy it! Plus I still need to get Saints Row 4.
I can tell you firsthand that Saints Row 4 is absolute garbage and not even accidentally good. It's not even a matter of opinion. It's glitchy, boring, has absolutely no sense of pacing, most of the content is literally copy-pasted from Saints Row 3, the missions are insultingly easy, and the superpowers simply break the game.
Still would rather play it than another GTA.

Captcha: save face

WhitbyDragon

Jul 15, 2013
*Peeks up from behind Flame Shield*

Phew, maybe it's about expectations, Yahtzee has pulled games in his best of lists to pieces so even the Rage Monsters have no reason to be shocked at this.

Anyway, closer to on topic but not really, I've been playing a lot of Minecraft, you know even in that innocent seeming game my character is not nice, I've single-handedly destroyed populations of animals and plundered a continents worth of precious stones (mostly to lose it all falling in lava anyway!!) all so I can get up and do it some more tomorrow. And have a big house on a hill, with turrets, and a big walled staircase, and a pier... So, Greed.

I'll be giving GTA5 a miss, I like my open worlds more RPG like anywho.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
OuendanCyrus said:
I have yet to hear a reasonable response when I ask people why they enjoy the GTA series, the most common thing I hear is "You can steal cars and shoot people." either they're very easily impressed/amused, or they have the mind of a teenager, or both. I'm sorry, but it takes more than that for me to enjoy a game. I don't hate sandbox games, Just Cause 2 kept me entertained for a very long time, and although I didn't like Red Dead Redemption that much, I still find the amount of stuff you can do in that game staggering. GTA V just feels... lacking, it's certainly not as brilliant as many people make it out to be.
You know you can disagree with someone's opinion WITHOUT insulting them.

OT: To each his own, I personally find it to be pretty fun. I do agree that people freaking out over a 3 and a half star review is pretty damn disgusting though.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
That off-key scream of yours at the end caught me slightly off guard. When was the last time you tried to jump a few octaves, Yahtzee? :3

OT: So GTA5 is incredibly meh, or at least that's what your opinion comes across as this time around, like so many other games today that are incapable of being plain shit or kickass. Actually that's what turned me off everything too - the "meh"-ness is the new "shit".

Quiotu

Mar 7, 2008
I personally don't like people comparing GTA and SR anymore. Yeah at one point they were quite similar, but they've gone down two distinct paths that Yahtzee himself understands: parody/satire vs. reference. SR cranked up the wacky and geek meta-gaming to try and be as fun as possible, but completely forgot how to make a game challenging. GTA keeps the game challenging and makes you getting away with your crimes a lofty goal, and sends a message by basically satirizing the era and location the game's in every time... which isn't nearly as mindlessly fun.

I think people don't have to like both series, in fact I think the two are polarizing enough now that it would be hard to like both without being new enough to games to create some personal biases. Currently I like GTA more but that could change in later games. It's hard not to assume Rockstar is just trying harder, but that's also because they have a mountain of cash to spend on the GTA series. I don't blame anyone for liking one more than the other, including Yahtzee... but I'm playing the one I enjoy more personally.

Makai

Jul 27, 2012
Im glad im not the only one noticing the flying. I love going on a plane or chopper and just mess around, but what's the point of having a "Flight" skill when even if maxed out, it handles like you're drunk or you're always in the middle of a very very very windy spot.

I laughed out loud at the office with the last sentences

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
Fun show this week :)
Whole bunch of lines that cracked me up (always in conjunction with the awesome images). Last bit was hilarious too.

On a side note. I must be the only person under this sun that actually enjoyed GTA IV's vehicle physics. (I actually liked them a spot more than I do GTA V's)

Marik Bentusi

Aug 20, 2010
What he describes is pretty much the perspective I got as someone that never played GTA. Aside from a couple hours in GTA2 with a dozen silly cheats enabled 'cause the missions bored the snot out of me.

I expected the whole sandbox thing to make for more organic "Fuck yeah" moments tho. 'cause otherwise the game looks like a collection of games I already have, just not done as in-depth or with the variety in setting.

So I really bet everything on that "organic gameplay" wildcard that, fickle as it is, apparently just didn't resonate with Yahtzee.

Can someone that actually played (and perhaps even liked) the game elaborate with something specific? "It had great characters" or "shooting the gun feels really good" wouldn't tell me a whole lot.